PDA

View Full Version : High Idling?

rmpinky
10-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Hi guys, i'm new to this forum, stumbled upon this site from Toyotaownersclub.com

Anyway, down to business :look:

Starting up my Celica GT 2L when it hasn't been driven for a while (time varies, but generally over night sets it back) makes the Idle go to 1500RPM. After a while of driving, it goes back to a more acceptable 7-800Rpm. Is this normal for the cold weather?

I'm still learning about cars in general, and overall Celicas (nice to drive, rear passengers complain though (ungrateful for lifts haha))

Cheers in advance

*EDIT* Forgot to mention 1994 Gen 6

Facime
10-23-2010, 07:02 PM
When the engine is dead cold the idle is raised by the computer to speed up the warm up process. Ive had Celicas idle over 2k on first start up. That speed should then drop slowly and steadily back to normal as the engine warms up. That is normal behavior.

If your idle will sometimes bump up even after its warm but still comes back down you probably have some air trapped in the coolant.

rmpinky
10-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Ahh, thats ok then.. Going on that, now it makes sense why it doesn't do it after i've driven to the shop... Cheers mate :D

Ricky99
10-26-2010, 01:36 AM
Hey I have a 3rd gen 3sge engine in my celica and I get the same problem on mornings.
My engine idles up too 2000 rpm for like five minutes then it slowly drops to 800-1000 rpm when the engine warms up.
At first I thought that with no oil circulating throughout the engine on a cold startup with 2k rpm would cause premature wear on the internals so I disconnected the idle motor jack and it idles fine.

rmpinky
10-26-2010, 04:40 PM
You disconnected the idle jack? Surely the engine would have oil anyway? (Not exactly a spanner monkey though)

Facime
10-26-2010, 07:47 PM
At first I thought that with no oil circulating throughout the engine on a cold startup with 2k rpm would cause premature wear on the internals so I disconnected the idle motor jack and it idles fine.

So you just decided that Toyota with all its great engineers and years of experience providing one of the most reliable cars on the road...was wrong so you did it your way?

As I said, its to help warm the car up faster. I suppose you are also one of those people that jump in a car, start it up and immediately drive off down the road? Putting a cold engine immediatly under load is far more detrimental to longevity than high idle for a few minutes.

rmpinky
10-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Heh, glad i asked now, seems as though im not the only person who didnt have a clue :)

Although, i tend to let it tick over a couple minutes, watch as the guage doesnt move then drive off (on a military camp, so its a slow start then 60mph road)

Facime
10-26-2010, 08:37 PM
my alltrac is cold blooded now thanks to several mods, but I wont even idle the car out of the shop until the temp gauge at least begins to move. There's probably a reason this car has 221K miles on it. ;)

rmpinky
10-26-2010, 08:58 PM
So its generally better no matter what to wait for it to warm up, more for the longevity of the engine than anything else? Duely noted!

Ricky99
11-08-2010, 02:11 AM
well I've driven other cars before and had never experienced a high idle at startup so I was kinda scared when this happened but like you said if it's a normal thing then I have nothing to worry about and I never drive my car without warming it up at least for 5 minutes.

Oh and what about the thermostat? is it really necessary taking into consideration that I am in the Caribbean with the hot climate.

Facime
11-08-2010, 04:38 AM
The thermostat also is part of a faster warm up but it goes beyond that. Its easier for the computer and the fuel system to maintain when there is a constant and consistant operating temp. I do not suggest removing it.