PDA

View Full Version : I want to talk about MAP ECU2

Carolina91GT-S
10-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Has anyone here used MAP ECU2? I am seriously considering it for both my 3SGTE and the 2JZGTE. It seems to do everything that I want and doesn't require ditching the OEM ECU which helps maintain some daily driveability. Basically you can eliminate the MAF and this thing can act as your, MAP, EBC, piggy back fuel controller, Wideband AFR gauge, you can alter timing with it etc....so it seems to offer EMS type benefits without some of the hassle. But...as with all things that seem cool there must be some down side.

~Chris

T-spoon
10-21-2010, 04:35 AM
The only downside is that it's expensive for a piggyback. However, it does more than any other piggyback I know of for how much (little) work it is to install and set up. In fact, there's not a great deal that a full standalone will do that it won't. I had it on my 7MGTE with really good results, and will be continuing to use it once I get the 2j swapped. Joel has one on his 3s swap, but I don't know if he's had a chance to really get it set up and tuned yet.

KoreanJoey
10-21-2010, 05:52 AM
Power FC...

ChrisD
10-21-2010, 04:33 PM
LOL

"doesn't require ditching the OEM ECU which helps maintain some daily driveability"

That's an oxymoron. OEM ECU = shit daily driveability. The #1 one thing I'm most happy about now that I'm on a standalone is the improved regular, daily driving, and was the big motivator for me to make the jump. I can't speak for the MAP2 b/c I don't know a whole bunch about it, but I did try a myriad of piggypacks before going to the Power FC. Haven't looked back since.

Note - the 3rd gen ECU is a different story. It's daily driving is awesome. 2nd gen sucks.

Carolina91GT-S
10-21-2010, 09:16 PM
the 3SGTE isn't the only engine I am thinking about using it on. I want to keep similar systems if I can, for ease of use, don't want to learn multiple systems. The 2JZGTE ECU drives very well daily. Power FC is it a bit more expensive but not terribly so. How is the support for the POWER FC regarding the toyota engines? good maps available etc?

~Chris

ChrisD
10-21-2010, 10:16 PM
2JZ is a different beast. Driven them, they are nice. :D :D

Ah, if thinking of several engines maybe Power FC is not a good choice. Each PFC model is specific to the engine. I am sure they must have a 2JZ model, but the list sure isn't as all-encompassing as some of the more generic any-platform type EMS's. Map2 may be a good option, I just don't know a tonne about it.

Chris_G.
10-21-2010, 10:28 PM
LOL

"doesn't require ditching the OEM ECU which helps maintain some daily driveability"

That's an oxymoron. OEM ECU = shit daily driveability. The #1 one thing I'm most happy about now that I'm on a standalone is the improved regular, daily driving, and was the big motivator for me to make the jump. I can't speak for the MAP2 b/c I don't know a whole bunch about it, but I did try a myriad of piggypacks before going to the Power FC. Haven't looked back since.

Note - the 3rd gen ECU is a different story. It's daily driving is awesome. 2nd gen sucks.

How do you improve the 2nd Gen daily drivability then????? :threadjacked:

DudeMan
10-22-2010, 03:31 AM
^

The #1 one thing I'm most happy about now that I'm on a standalone...

Carolina91GT-S
10-22-2010, 04:17 AM
Chris, I don't know a ton about it either. A lot of the Supra guys are using it and it seems like it will easily handle whatever I want to do. It has good support and seems easy to problem solve with the resources out there.

T-spoon
10-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Yep, probably not the best place to get info on it, almost no one on this site has actually seen it, much less used or tuned it, so you'l mostly get recommendations for other setups instead (I see threads asking about the MapECU every so often and they always go the same way, I say it's fantastic and a bunch of people say to get a stand-alone :hehe: ). If you have any particular questions about it should you happen to get it, let me know. As far as getting a good tune with it, any tuner with half a brain should easily be able to do it with a laptop and a dyno, even if they've not used it before. You can also go to their website (just search for MapECU2, the company is something like performance motor research) and check out the forums to get an idea of what people are doing with it. They have really good tech support via that forum, too.

ChrisD
10-23-2010, 03:36 PM
One other tip I could recommend, usually you can download the tuning software before you buy it, just to try it out and get familiar with it. That really helps with the decision to see if you like it compared to others.

Carolina91GT-S
10-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Can you actually do anything with the software or just click around and see how it feels?

T-spoon
10-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can download it off their website. You can do everything in it while not hooked up to the ECU other than obviously get any feedback from an ECU. You can set it up and load tables (there are some basic tables and some common injector setups on their site or in forum threads) and play with other settings. You can actually do that all offline ahead of time, then connect to the ECU and load all of that if you want which is what you would do to get a basic table if you aren't going to have it run a learning mode first (good for driving short difference to tuner).

Carolina91GT-S
10-24-2010, 07:43 PM
T-Spoon, do you use the MAP ECU2? sounds like you do but I did not want to assume.

I have all but decided to get one for the Supra since I am bone stock right now but am moving to BPU once the Halftrac is done with paint et al. I'm still feeling like the MAPECU2 answers all of my issues moving forward there. It is one piggy back unit that can eliminate the MAF in favor of MAP, you can add an EBC solenoid, and you can connect your add on wideband to it...even control the AFR with a closed loop if you wanted to. Of course it has fuel and timing map control as well. From what I can tell you can do all of this with an investment of about $1000.

With the Celica, I already have the AEM Truboost EBC and UEGO AFR, and the ST205 electronics upgrade all ready to go so I think I ultimately will not be going MAPECU2 on the Celica

T-spoon
10-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Yeah I do (it's in the first reply in this thread ;) ). As far as price goes, I think they're still under $800, just depends where you buy it I guess. I got mine from MVPmotorsports... actually both of them, I had to replace mine when my supra was broken into. In terms of technical info, base maps for different injectors and whatnot, I'd say there's a lot more out there for the Supras than the 3s, mostly because it hasn't really been used much in the Celica community. Works out just fine if you're getting it for the supra though. You may want to check supraforums for sale threads as they'll pop up for lower prices with plug-and-play patch harnesses already etc. when guys change their setups around.

Carolina91GT-S
11-01-2010, 03:23 AM
T-spoon, what functions are using? I am planning to use the onboard MAP and boost cut control fucntions but also want to use the optional electronic Boost control solenoid. Are you using all of these and are you happy with them?

I have been following the for sale threads and I see them go sometimes. Stuff sells so fast over there since there as so many people on it. I see things I would be interested in buying and people scooped it up and asked for 2nd and 3rd dibbs in 30 min or less sometimes.

I would ask about it over on Supraforums but newbs are often flamed or ignored there

T-spoon
11-01-2010, 05:03 AM
I hadn't actually gotten a chance to try out a lot of the options. Mine was controlling fuel and timing efficiently. I did have an AVC-R for boost control, but I wanted to streamline and reduce the amount of extra wiring and electronics so I switched to the MapECU's boost control with the recommended GM solenoid. The guy that tuned the car for me claimed it was not functioning so I was just tuned at wastegate pressure (12PSI). Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to troubleshoot that before I had unrelated engine issues but I plan to get the boost control working when I get back up and running with the swap (I could have hooked it up wrong, or it was a defective solenoid, or the tuner set it wrong, who knows). I also planned to play with the launch control and probably add a dash switch for swapping high-lo boost maps.

Smaay
11-04-2010, 05:25 AM
if you are interested in the MAP ECU2 then check out supraforums.com. lots of supra guys use it and speak highly of it. personally i have driven a Supra with the AEM EMS, Power FC, stock ECU, and MAP ECU, oh and even with just an S-AFC. if they are tuned right all work well. i have an AEM EMS on both my Supra and All-Trac. i wouldnt go any other way. and driveability is just fine, especially off boost cruising. the wideband O2 feedback can give you the best ratio and get good mileage.

Carolina91GT-S
11-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Cool. Can the wideband readback to the MAPECU come direct from the sensor or does it need to go through a controller like the AEM UEGO first?

yeah the Supra forums is where I first heard of it.

T-spoon
11-07-2010, 01:22 AM
I don't have a wideband but I'm 99.9% sure it wires straight into the MapECU2 harness without any intermediary controller

Carolina91GT-S
11-07-2010, 01:53 AM
That's the way I read the product literature. It is one of the reasons I want to go this route. It also controls an EBC, has built in XX cut controls and of course the MAP sensor

Carolina91GT-S
11-11-2010, 04:04 AM
After some further research...the MAP ECU 2 gets an AFR signal from an after market controller such as the AEM UEGO or the Innovate kit, it cannot read a raw signal direct from a wideband O2 sensor. Too bad, that would be really cool. It does though do just about everything else

For those interested in using it on the 3SGTE...Performance Motor Research actually mentions it in their FAQ section as follows:

Q. What kind of performance gain can I expect with a MAP-ECU2?

A. That depends on your engine, it's condition and what modifications, if any, you have made. A Toyota 3S-GTE gained 30kW's at the wheels in a back-to-back dyno run comparing the OEM AFM with a tuned MAP-ECU2 configuration, with no change in boost. One of the key aspects is that the MAP-ECU2 provides you with a great platform for other modifications in the future.

Carolina note: That's just over 40HP by my math just by switching from the stock MAF to the MAPECU2 and getting a tune.

I am almost surely going to get one of these for the Supra this month. If it works out well then I'll be going this route for the Celica down the road.

~Chris

Smaay
11-11-2010, 07:23 PM
After some further research...the MAP ECU 2 gets an AFR signal from an after market controller such as the AEM UEGO or the Innovate kit, it cannot read a raw signal direct from a wideband O2 sensor. Too bad, that would be really cool. It does though do just about everything else

~Chris

that is because the sensor is just a dumb sensor. it still needs a controller. the AEM EMS is the same way. all you ahve to do is feed the 0-5V output into the EMS in the same pin location as the factory O2 and you are good to go. thats all i had to do on my All-Trac and Supra