PDA

View Full Version : ST185 ABS System

ccsouls
10-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Simple question.....is it crap or decent?

I autocross my ST185 regualrly and have noticed the ABS gets really "spungy" after hard work. Final runs of the day are affected by it.

Not rubber line spungy, peddle spungy....like going to the floor. I have changed the fluid and all that already also.

So, thinking of disabling it for late day runs. I am thinking it is some form of heat related issue, or just a crappy ABS.

Anyone have thoughts to share?

DudeMan
10-20-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm no expert but I'd say crap..

I read that ABS was just starting to pick up in the early 90's and the system in our cars wasn't one of the best.

Mine hasn't worked since I bought my GT4, even a local Toyota dealership couldn't figure it out apparently, so its being tossed before the engine goes back in.

Pull the fuse next time you go and see if there's a difference.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Mine has never worked since I've had the car. I haven't heard too many people speak favorably of it. Dudeman's right. This is definite the first gen of ABS so it most likely is very quirky. I'd pull the fuse.

bloodMoney
10-21-2010, 03:56 AM
I've switched to the non-abs hubs, but have yet to pull the fuse... lol

EDIT: I guess that means that I hated the ABS on the car. It almost cost me the car.....

.....A few times.

alltracman78
10-22-2010, 01:18 AM
The bigger your brakes the nicer it is.
I've never worn out my ABS, but I also don't autocross. Are you sure it's not brake fade? When's the last time you flushed your brakes?

If you're going to pull the fuse you have to unbolt it from the underside of the fuse box. The 30A one anyways. Just an FYI so you don't spend 20 min trying to yank it from the top. :P

UndaGrwnD
10-22-2010, 12:50 PM
well...i like it :p i made an emergency stop together with a new mercedesbenz C-class a while back...and believe it or not...i stopped way sooner then he did....we were driving like 100km/h

i always liked the way it stops...because its very strong...if you dont look out...your face will be in the steering wheel :P

ccsouls
10-22-2010, 03:12 PM
The bigger your brakes the nicer it is.
I've never worn out my ABS, but I also don't autocross. Are you sure it's not brake fade? When's the last time you flushed your brakes?

If you're going to pull the fuse you have to unbolt it from the underside of the fuse box. The 30A one anyways. Just an FYI so you don't spend 20 min trying to yank it from the top. :P

I don't think it is brake fade, as it only happens under hard braking....however that said I suppose some percentage of it might be attributable to fade/heat. Flushed the lines at the mid-point of the season.....no change. (I have considered changing the fluid to one of those high priced racing apps however)

I believe you can simply disconnect the plug at the ABS unit rather than pull the fuse. Is that not the case?

mannygtfour
01-26-2011, 03:16 AM
My ABS just stop working one day and the ABS light is on. Tell you the truth i never like the ABS theres been a few time i almost hit another vehicle because of the ABS. The one that scared the shit out of me i was going to work i was driving normal speed so i started to slow down and the dam ABS kick in i was sliding forward about to hit a Subaru STI so i pull the e-brake and turn the wheel to hit a snow bank. Like i said im glad the dam thing stop working.

junctrac
01-26-2011, 04:25 PM
So even in snow your better off with no ABS? i cant decide if i should hook mine back up or not and this car will c alot of time going up to the ski slopes.