PDA

View Full Version : key llight

TXcajunman
10-19-2010, 09:10 PM
any ideas why the light to help you guide the ignition. the light green ring around the ignition would stay on constantly?info on car 90 celica alltrac

alltracNyx
10-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Possibly if the car thinks the key is still in the ignition, even when it's not. There may be something wrong with the key cylinder not turning all the way to the OFF position when you take the key out.

TXcajunman
10-20-2010, 12:54 AM
i have tried jiggling it and repeat in and out to no avail.. should i take it apart or? thanks for the input

alltracman78
10-20-2010, 01:06 AM
He's right, most likely that switch is faulty.
You're probably going to have to take it apart, but it might just be bad and have to be replaced.

I don't remember if it's in the rear of the key cylinder or on the side, I do too many Avalon key cylinders and that's all I can remember right now.

TXcajunman
10-20-2010, 01:14 AM
that don't sound cheap about how much would that be ti fix?

187flatliner
10-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Easy repair......junkyards the best place. Cheap too

alltracNyx
10-22-2010, 01:51 AM
He's right, most likely that switch is faulty.

Not that it matters much, but I'm a girl, lol.

And I agree, try getting one from a junkyard. If it works, then great, if not, it's a small investment.

alltracman78
10-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Didn't know, now I do. :)

Actually, what I forgot before is that light is supposed to be on when you open the door, not when the key is in it.
Forget the switch [Toyota's got a recall for the Avalon ignition cylinders and that's what was on my brain]; most likely either the integration relay or a door switch. I would check first for any indication of a door being closed but something in the car think's it's open still. If both of the door open switches are ok, then somethings most likely wrong with your integration relay [white box inside the relay block on the drivers kick panel].

alltracNyx
10-26-2010, 03:47 AM
I thought the same thing this weekend when I got in my car. The cylinder light goes on and off with the door switches. Do you have any issues with the dome light or courtesy lights on the door panels staying on once you have closed all of the doors (the switch on the dome should be set to "door" to check)? Or is the dash warning light on (for open doors)?

TXcajunman
10-26-2010, 03:46 PM
the dome light is on door and the dash light for the doors works correctly and the door lights come on when door open.i ended up taking the lower dash cover off and traced the wire for the key cylinder light and found where it plugs in and just unplugged it for now. thank you for all the help ladies and gentlemen