PDA

View Full Version : Turbo questions please help

t_mac
10-17-2010, 01:01 AM
Hi im looking into upgrading my stock turbo which is the ct26, im looking into going for a garrett t3 t04e with a 60mm trim. I really dont no alot about turbos so if someone could let me no if that would be to big and to much lag that would be great thanks. I was also curious if u could tell me what kind of manifold i would need for that as well as if it possible to find just an adapter as opposed to an actual manifold for the turbo. The car is a 1991 celica gt4 thanks

Facime
10-17-2010, 01:23 AM
I believe there is a seller on Ebay that sells the nice low profile adapter to convert the stock CT manifold to t3.

As of the turbo the term "60mm trim" is incorrect, "trim" refers to a ratio between the exducer and inducer therefore doesnt have a measurement in mm. The 60mm usually refers to the exducer size of the compressor. I would recommend you take a little time to read up on some turbo basics before you decide what you really want to fit your power needs. This is a good place to start:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_tech101.html

do you have a model number for the turbo or at least a compressor map for it? It would help to know something about the turbine side as well as that has alot more to do with answering the "lag" question. We need to know more about the turbo to judge what it will do for your ST185.

DudeMan
10-17-2010, 01:32 AM
Personally, I think its best to swap the turbo, fuel system and ECU all at the same time..

That way you know exactly what kind of turbo you want to put on, what size injectors/fuel pump you will need and a way to properly tune it once its all functional.

The actual swapping of the turbo itself isn't too too difficult. You'll need an adapter, oil/coolant lines, external wastegate etc.

Facime gave solid advice, I'd do some more research if I was you.

t_mac
10-17-2010, 01:32 AM
oh wow thats great thanks ya and the turbo model ill have to find out im buying it off of a friend of mine, as for the adapter any idea what i should look for on ebay to find this seller that would be great thank you

Facime
10-17-2010, 03:13 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MR2-T3T4-ADAPTER-OEM-CT26-T3-T4-TURBO-35-38-WASTEGATE-/110418518724

Im not recommending that seller or that price, its just the first one that came up, but thats the adapter you want.

joe's gt
10-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Biggest piece of advice I can give you is figure out what your goals are for the car, then size the turbo for that goal. Keep in mind that on a four banger, high horsepower is not necessarily better. Four cylinders can only displace so much air. Lag is a main concern.

t_mac
10-18-2010, 12:09 AM
all great advice guys thanks gonna do a little more research