PDA

View Full Version : I now have a 3" complete exhaust but......

lalojamesliz
10-16-2010, 10:21 AM
I got the vibrant flat black oval 3" in and out and a Cali legal cat converter and 3" mandrel bent all the way through. It's loud :( I looked around online to find out the decible limit and I know it's 95db but from what distance? I saw alot of people saying 50ft but is that true? At 50ft my exhaust is right under 86db at 4300-4500 rpm. Also right now I have a 3" dp, if I get pulled over would the cop or hey patrol know i'm missing my primary converter since I already have one underneath on my midpipe? I asked a friend of mine that has a evo 10 and he told me his car only had 1 converter underneath??? And he bought it new. I thought of saying if I got pulled over that I just replaced the big cast iron pipe with this 3" dp to save weight but I don't want to lie if they already know. What do you guys think?

Grot
10-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Your typical officer wont know your primary is in you DP.

lalojamesliz
10-16-2010, 10:25 PM
i just took in my car to have the exhaust leak fixed and i had them do a decible test while they were at it, 110DB!!!!! holy crap! when he tested it he was standing right behind my car squated right next to the muffler, is that the correct way? well the guy who did my exhaust told me to quiet it down he could install a 3'' glass pack but it wouldnt last probally more than 6 months but for $70 and if i wanted a flanged glass pack and a flanged pipe to switch them both out it would be $200. you guys think that glass pack will bring the loudness of my exhaust down past 95db? i dont know what to do guys, its my DD and i dont want to drive it like this. ill be using my wifes sequoia for now :(

Nitro_Alltrac
10-16-2010, 11:42 PM
The glass pack might bring it down but they're still really loud. I used to have them on my old El Camino and it was still damn loud even with tail pipes. Have you got room to put something like a Flowmaster in? That would help a lot more than a glass pack.

lalojamesliz
10-17-2010, 12:19 AM
The guy was telling me it hardly has any room because of the massive 3" pipe :) Do you know of another muffler that's rougly the same shape as a glass pack Joe? I was thinking of getting another muffler slightly oval shaped and and having it placed next to the drive shaft. I'm lucky to have another car to use but I need to solve this problem :(

joe's gt
10-17-2010, 06:27 AM
Don't rev it around a cop and you'll be fine. Don't accelerate quickly and rev it high on crowded city streets. Save it for a straight barren stretch of road. Don't worry about it. Also, even a smog tech can't tell if you have the primary on or not providing you have an exhaust manifold heat shield on there. They generally just check the pipe with a mirror for a cat.

Chris_G.
10-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Don't rev it around a cop and you'll be fine. Don't accelerate quickly and rev it high on crowded city streets. Save it for a straight barren stretch of road. Don't worry about it. Also, even a smog tech can't tell if you have the primary on or not providing you have an exhaust manifold heat shield on there. They generally just check the pipe with a mirror for a cat.

I Had a problem with the exhaust on my old Grand Vitara. My cat clogged up and I had to drop all the pipes from the header back and then wait on the cat to come (stupid stealerships.) and I only got pulled over once because I was being a jackhole and this guy in an Explorer tried to pull on me and I down shifted and hit 4k and 4k with no pipes on a V6 was enough for him to follow me 10 miles and pull me over.

lalojamesliz
10-17-2010, 10:14 AM
The other reason I want to quiet it down is because I don't want it this loud. I can't even hear my radio while driving around town at a low volume. I knew it was going to be louder than stock but right now I think taking it to 3k rpm is too loud already :( I wasn't planing on fliooring it around town but like this I get worried it's too loud even shifting at low rpm's. I feel my only options are re-installing the stock dp or trying the glass pack. I'm at work right now and was talking to a good friend of mine that worked at the shop that did my exhaust and he was telling me to install the longest glass pack I could and it should fix my problem and the closer to the engine, the quieter it will be plus they are straight thru flow so it won't affect me. I guess Monday morning I'll have the longest glass pack that fits installed. If I was single with no kids then screw it but my mother in law watches my kids a couple times a week at her house and I have to pick them up. I have a 1yr old that rides in the back and my 2 older kids (6 and 10) love riding in my all-trac. I don't want to change that because the exhaust.

KoreanJoey
10-17-2010, 05:55 PM
big, big resonator.

UndaGrwnD
10-18-2010, 12:40 AM
i have also an 3'' open system, let me know how the glass pack is when its installed.

lalojamesliz
10-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Will do, what muffler are you using? Any idea how loud it is in decibles? I'm going in the morning after I get off from my job (it's 0:29 for me right now) And I'm going to have them squeeze in the biggest glass pack that fits. I'll see if it can be done next to the drive shaft. I was going to install my TRD springs since nobody bought them but now that my catalytic converter hangs down a bit I don't want my exhaust torn off if it hits something :(

The Captain
10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
I have almost the same setup, but I have a Magnaflow muffler in the back. Sounds pretty darn good. Problem with a glass pack is the stuffing goes bad and you're back to square one.

KoreanJoey
10-19-2010, 03:40 AM
Magnaflow FTW.

joe's gt
10-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Got a magnaflow and haven't looked back.

ericfragola
10-19-2010, 06:11 AM
i know i posted the thread about a stock quiet exhaust, and brutekiller replied witht the vibrant muffler as a suggestion. which you ended up getting, but out of curiosity, did you look into reviews on the muffler and how quiet it actually keeps the car? MAYBE you need a new muffler...jsut throwing out that idea :)

also, sorry i havent called! ,y DD broke down and ive been beyond busy with work schoolk and trying to fix it :( i in a pickle...if i cant fix my DD cheaply then i need to push to get my alltrac done.

lalojamesliz
10-19-2010, 08:25 AM
It's cool about calling Eric, I did look at reviews and everyone just said how quiet it was so I got it. Today while i was having the glass pack installed I was asking the shop owner and the guy who has been working on my car if they know of a quieter muffler but they just told me nothing that is quieter will fit but I know their is other ones that will work. I just have to find one :(

lalojamesliz
10-19-2010, 08:38 AM

lalojamesliz
10-19-2010, 08:41 AM
i have also an 3'' open system, let me know how the glass pack is when its installed.

The guy who worked on my car was able to sqeeze in a glass pack that was mabey 16"? Idk for sure.
Here's a pic of the glass pack
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae12/lalojamesliz/67c3405f.jpg

it droped from 110db @ 3k rpm to 94db @ 3k rpm :) I might end up looking for another muffler if I can find a quieter good flowing one.

ChrisD
10-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Cool. Hopefully that's better for ya. How does a glasspack differ from a standard resonator?

UndaGrwnD
10-19-2010, 06:10 PM
hey, thats look nice...thnx for the pic!

i got a vibrant muffler 3''inlet 4''tip.

http://94.100.118.75/1050950001-1051000000/1050981901-1050982000/1050981971_6_zrp8.jpeg

i also want a glass pack...or the square one...but dont want less power :p

Sifu
10-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Nowadays the cops just pull you over for any sort of infraction and will love you even more when you take them to court. If you don't want to attract (or enjoy hearing) attention you may need to add/adjust/remove some components.

If you want a more quiet ride you may:
- add more resonators
- change the muff
- add sound deadening to the car

I've always loved the sound of Magnaflow muffs. Truthfully I'll never go back to an oval design ever again because they are just so damn obnoxiously loud sometimes... If this is your DD the slight dip in power is still better than shouting in cabin or loss of hearing.

lalojamesliz
10-20-2010, 02:10 AM
hey, thats look nice...thnx for the pic!

i got a vibrant muffler 3''inlet 4''tip.

http://94.100.118.75/1050950001-1051000000/1050981901-1050982000/1050981971_6_zrp8.jpeg

i also want a glass pack...or the square one...but dont want less power :p

nice car! have you ever check the DB on your exhaust? does it have a catalytic converter? that muffler looks better than i thought it would on our cars. if its quieter than my muffler ill probally switch over.

UndaGrwnD
10-20-2010, 11:35 AM
thnx..! well...its loud...i dont know how munch DB it is...
i dont got a catalic converter....3" open downpipe whith only the muffler.
power increase is very nice, but i think it a bit to loud...so im thinking about a glasspack or a square one
i have a sound clip, ill post it later on when im home.

UndaGrwnD
10-20-2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElvjrIRM0mw

its smoking because it was raining very heavy that day, and drove in a large pool of water when we got there.. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LUQAg4EuEU - DYNO , there was no smoke at all ;)

lalojamesliz
10-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Thank you for the videos, wow that is loud :) what mods do u have? I've been wanting to dyno my car but the nearest awd dyno is 100 miles from me. I know I can switch my trans to 2wd but I want to know what I make to all 4 wheels.

ericfragola
10-22-2010, 01:23 AM
how much did the glasspack change the sound? im contemplating putting 3" glasspacks all the way thru instead of regular 3" piping...along with my 3" cat, and muffler. ive alreadt got a 3" midpipe with flex pipe as well. :) just need the DP

lalojamesliz
10-22-2010, 09:52 AM
I don't know if that will fit so well since the outer casing of the glasspack is the same size as 4" pipe. I think the one I had installed was mabey 16" I had the idea of installing one right after the converter but they told me the converter would burn it up faster and it wouldn't fit that's why I got the one I have. You could do it but the pipe would be very low to avoid the driveshaft.

UndaGrwnD
10-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Thank you for the videos, wow that is loud :) what mods do u have? I've been wanting to dyno my car but the nearest awd dyno is 100 miles from me. I know I can switch my trans to 2wd but I want to know what I make to all 4 wheels.

the dyno in the last video, was not an AWD, mij car is FWD...once the front or the rear rollers are roling...the others roll also...thats because some cars can get a malfunction in the carsystem...about the ABS or something else :)

and yea, its loud...but in the video it sounds a bit harder then in real life... here is a incar video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ERvCyjNgA
Here is a modlist: http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/1692/modlistv2.jpg

smog7
10-27-2010, 04:37 AM
How much did your 3" system cost?

lalojamesliz
10-29-2010, 03:59 PM
It cost me $125 for the muffler and flex pipe and $375 for the pipe and labor