PDA

View Full Version : New timming belt noise ssues

ALAN
10-14-2010, 03:31 PM
I've just had a proffesional workshop install a new timing belt and pulleys seals etc (all the stuff you find in a full Gates Kit) and a new GMB water pump , it all runs fine until the engine is at normal running temp then I'm getting a fgrub- fgrub- fgrub- fgrub noise from the timing belt end of the engine , this is not supper loud but obviously something isn't quite right , I can't feel any vibration in the upper timing belt cover that corresponds to this noise , does anybody know what might be causing this noise or have experianced a similar thing ?

I had it back to the workshop and you guessed it--" This noise is normal".

It dosen't do it cold and it didn;t do it before the new belt was fitted.

:no:

DudeMan
10-14-2010, 03:54 PM
I'd say you have two options;

a) Go back the shop that installed it. Tell them the noise is NOT normal, you paid them to do the job properly and they did not.

b) Start tearing into it!

Its hard to troubleshoot your problem with the info given but I'm sure if you looked under the timing covers the problem would be somewhat obvious.

As a personal preference, I would always use OEM Toyota parts when it comes to gaskets, water pumps etc.

ALAN
10-15-2010, 05:32 AM
I'd say you have two options;
a) Go back the shop that installed it. Tell them the noise is NOT normal, you paid them to do the job properly and they did not.
b) Start tearing into it!
Its hard to troubleshoot your problem with the info given but I'm sure if you looked under the timing covers the problem would be somewhat obvious.
As a personal preference, I would always use OEM Toyota parts when it comes to gaskets, water pumps etc.

Thanks for the reply I took it back to the shop and they told me to give it a few hundred kms to settle in :icon_stfu:
---meanwhile a chap on TOYMODS who had had exactly the same problem posted a likely cure , I put my lazys on hold and got stuck in a couple of hours later the noise has virtualy ceased , I'lll give it a couple of days and do it again if the grubbin hasn't completely gone.

I note that on the 5S-FE start the body side engine mounting bolts before the engine ones when doing this job.

Here is the post_______________:

1/. Start and run engine until HOT
2/. Removed top engine mount.
3/. Removed rubber grommet in top timing cover.
4/. Turn engine over clockwise until top dead centre.
5/. Loosen the locking bolt on idler pulley.
6/. Turn engine over two full rotations CLOCKWISE (i.e. in the direction it normally turns).
7/. At TDC lock up idler pulley.
8/. Test start and run.
9/. if it still howls a bit do the above one more time.

If it still grubs take top cover off and inspect the belt when running and the aligment and trueness of the cam pulley/pulleys.

Another thing that makes noises in that area is misaligned cam cogs.

Seeing they did it take it back if unsure..

After a couple days mine settled back in, the chamfer and distortion I had made cleaned up and belt is quiet.

S/M said leaving belt too tight too long it will stuff water pump really quickly
and I notice mine now rattles when cold, so my fault.