PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Water/Methanol Injection?

PsYcK_1
10-14-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm looking for some advice on Water/Methanol injection. Here is some background info. I have a 1991 All Trac with a 3rd gen (ST205) swap. Mods are as follows; Electronic boost controler, large front mount air to air IC, Walbro fuel pump, turbo timer, Upgraded ignition system, ST205 JDM EMS, GT2860RS (Installing Next Week). I am interested in using water/methanol injection as safety net / knock insurance, not to increase my boost. I am happy with running 12 to 15 psi boost and am just looking for ways to make my car as reliable as possible. I am looking for some general advice on Water/Methanol Injection. Snow performace is one system I'm considering. I'm also looking for advice on the best place to install the injector/s. I would like to install multiple injectors on the intake manifold runners instead of a single injector before the throtle body. Would the water/methanol injection interfere with the proper operation of the IAT sensor?. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would my thinking increase reliabilty or the opposite.

Carolina91GT-S
10-14-2010, 03:33 AM
have you checked out Joe O's water injection stuff for the 3SGTE? some good info for starters here http://water.lovehorsepower.com/ he used to have some videos of the installation of his kits up there too but I don't know if they are still there

~Chris

ChrisD
10-14-2010, 06:40 PM
To answer your questions

No, WI does not interfere with the IAT's measuring capabilities. Actually, it is better to have the IAT see the reduced temps that the WI will cause as timing is set relative to the temps.

Generally speaking, you would want to locate the injector/jet/nozzle after the intercooler, as far away from the throttle body as possible. This allows the maximum amount of time for the water to atomize in the intake stream, and distribute evenly. Usually, you'd let the intake manifold worry about distributing the intake stream. In this case it shouldn't matter if you have the stock manifold or not, since if more air goes to one cylinder, more water will also be supplied there, actually increasing safety. And if you have an aftermarket manifold that distributes very evenly, the water is also injected evenly.

However, if you have dedicated injectors to each runner, you are dictating that flow is the same to each cylinder, while air flow may not be. So in this respect, it is actually not as safe IMHO. (also, rarely does a tuner have the ability to monitor knock on a per cylinder basis to counteract any cylinder by cylinder issues)

As far as brands, just go with a reputable name and I'm sure it will be fine. I am happy with my Aquamist/ERL, but it is amongst the more expensive of brands.

PsYcK_1
10-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Thank You much for the advice/info!