PDA

View Full Version : Damn heater hose split last night

Nitro_Alltrac
10-12-2010, 01:09 PM
I was about 70 miles from home last night when I noticed the temp gauge heading up fast. I got pulled over and the steam was rolling out of the vents in the hood. Once it finally started to disappate I was able to find the source. The heater hose that comes off the water neck on the driver's side had developed about an 1/8" hole in it and was puking. It was close enought to the end that I could pull it off, cut the bad piece off and put it back on. That would have been great except for the DAMN factory spring clamp. The thing was kind of twisted and it it took about 40 minutes to get the damn thing loose. I was ready to burn the car. This was about 8 PM last night. Anyway, once I got the hose off the inside had eroded in that section. It was right at the end of the nipple. I got everything back on and got home. I just checked it and there is another leak in the hose. It's dripping. I'm waiting for the parts store to open now and get a couple of feet of hose and replace the bitch. It's always fun.:notrust:

bloodMoney
10-12-2010, 02:11 PM
I always knew those heater hoses were the weak link in the alltrac.....

I made a quick, late exit off a hwy a few years back and kinda 'Dukes of Hazzard' jumped onto the exit ramp (Somebody felt sick *ahem*). After limping Ellie home, I put her up and checked everything out..... The only thing that broke was that same damn heater hose. In my case it was thank god for small miracles :)

Kind of a pain to get around everything there, but it'll just be a memory by tonight Mike :D

bloodMoney
10-12-2010, 02:11 PM

I made a quick, late exit off a hwy a few years back and kinda 'Dukes of Hazzard' jumped onto the exit ramp (Somebody felt sick *ahem*). After limping Ellie home, I put her up and checked everything out..... The only thing that broke was that same damn heater hose. In my case it was thank god for small miracles :)

Kind of a pain to get around everything there, but it'll just be a memory by tonight Mike :D

Nitro_Alltrac
10-13-2010, 02:46 AM
I replaced it with standard heater hose this morning. This only took 15 minutes with the worm clamp.

The way this one came apart was strange. I've never seen a heater hose disintegrate like this inside of this one. It appears that the the way this hose is made that there is a rubber liner, then the fabric reinforcement behind that and then a thin rubber outer shell. They don't appear to be as heavily bonded as standard US heater hose. Where this once came apart was right off the nipple from the water neck. It looked like the water flow had just eroded the inside of the hose and then the thin outer skin failed.

The new hose worked great. I've got a thing I'm doing with my son this week over at Kerrville, Texas and it's about 75 miles one way. The work worked flawlessly today.

I've got to find the other hose now and check it. I'm worried about that one now.

bloodMoney
10-13-2010, 03:14 AM
I replaced both of them at the time as well... While you're in there you might as well right? Glad to hear that you've got her all fixed up.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-14-2010, 04:06 AM
I replaced both of them at the time as well... While you're in there you might as well right? Glad to hear that you've got her all fixed up.

I haven't had time to look yet, but where is the second hose located? I need to at least check that one and probably need to just go ahead and replace it before it bites me.

alltracNyx
10-14-2010, 05:34 AM

All I have to say is EFF YOU!!

bloodMoney
10-14-2010, 05:35 AM
haha

donteatbugs
10-14-2010, 12:32 PM
i replaced all my hoses when i pulled my engine the first time 4 years ago. most of them needed it.

DudeMan
10-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Hmm, I should check my heater hoses before I put them back on..

How much does it cost to replace the majority of the heater hoses anyway?

ChrisD
10-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Well for the heater there's really just the two. Can't be that pricey. I do like the Toyota ones though since they are molded to fit nicely. But yeah, after 15 or 20 years, usually they are showing signs of age!

Nitro_Alltrac
10-14-2010, 11:22 PM
I bought 2.5 feet of standard heater hose at O'Reilly's for less than $3. I'm sure the actual molded hose will be a good bit more than than. At least for the hose that I had to replace, the standard type hose worked fine. I think I only used about a foot to a foot and half of what I bought.