PDA

View Full Version : ecu reset

grimmythereaper
10-12-2010, 05:03 AM
srry if this is in the wrong spot but i found this ecu reset over a 6gc.net and was wondering if anyboy else has done this or even know if it works?http://www.6gc.net/howto/reset_your_air_fuel_ratio

Shadowlife25
10-12-2010, 05:08 AM
That entire thread is garbage.

I will let someone else go into detail.

alltracman78
10-13-2010, 04:42 AM
It's horseshit, but it has some threads of truth.

Your ECU "learns" your engine, and adapts to changes in it over time [within reason].
Removing the power from the ECU [all that needs to be removed is the ECU fuse, or just your negative battery cable] will clear all it's memory and when you run it again it will start from scratch.

However, any problems that you have [bad sensor, bad connection, crappy engine, ect] will cause the ECU to go back to what it was doing in the first place.

Hookecho
10-13-2010, 12:23 PM
LOL. How anyone can think that removing the hazard light fuse will fix engine performance problems is beyond me.

jaydog82
10-13-2010, 04:10 PM
it will reset the ecu, which wont do anything unless there was a problem causing the car to run bad, if you fix the problem then resetting the ecu could help. i tried it a few years back and removing both battery cables and touching the cables- not the batt terminals- together does the same thing.

Facime
10-13-2010, 06:17 PM
i tried it a few years back and removing both battery cables and touching the cables- not the batt terminals- together does the same thing.

the advantage of just pulling the EFI fuse is that you keep your stereo settings.