PDA

View Full Version : rusty rotors

85gtsblackman
10-10-2010, 08:20 PM
ok my gts has rusted over rotors from sitting for a little over a year outside, when i put the new pads on will it just scrape off the rust or are they toast?

i have an extra set i could put on if need be, im trying to avoid getting new rotors cause ill be doing the cressida brake swap in the future but for now im going to run stock brakes.

Grot
10-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Your pads will clean them off the first time you take her for a drive.

Be sure to scrape them off before you actually need to stop. Rusty brakes dont stop well.

The Captain
10-11-2010, 01:32 AM
http://www.evaporust.com/

It's da bomb.

bzdweezy
10-12-2010, 02:40 AM
Why not just have the rotors turned/resurfaced?

bloodMoney
10-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Or you can use a buffer wheel and take the surface rust off to see how bad they are pitted from sitting for so long. If they clean up, then use them. If not, spend the 20 bux to get them turned.

85gtsblackman
10-12-2010, 05:57 AM
ok my gts has rusted over rotors from sitting for a little over a year outside, when i put the new pads on will it just scrape off the rust or are they toast?

i have an extra set i could put on if need be, im trying to avoid getting new rotors cause ill be doing the cressida brake swap in the future but for now im going to run stock brakes.

Why not just have the rotors turned/resurfaced?

Or you can use a buffer wheel and take the surface rust off to see how bad they are pitted from sitting for so long. If they clean up, then use them. If not, spend the 20 bux to get them turned.

none of you read

i have an extra pair of rotors.......... but i was just going to throw the metal masters on the front and go from there or just stick the rotors i salvaged from my parts car on the front. The rears i already got replacements for.

bloodMoney
10-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Again Joe.... To determine the extent of the damage to the rotors (are they usable) its best to take off the rust first, to see what the metal looks like underneath. If they are good, then good. If not, use the other pair.

Did I understand you this time princess? :lolhitting:

85gtsblackman
10-13-2010, 05:30 AM
i dont have princess, talk to capt'n

yeah ill wire wheel the old ones then, my new rear bembros came today :woot:

bloodMoney
10-13-2010, 06:00 PM
lol let us know how it goes :)