PDA

View Full Version : No f'ing luck this week...

KooK
10-10-2010, 05:04 AM
So Friday I get off work, come home and start pounding on the Celica, I'm changing the wheel bearing on the drivers side, I get the knuckle off and notice the axle boot is in poor shape, no problem, I'll pick one up tomorrow. So I press out everything for the old wheel bearing, press in the new one, throw the snap ring back on, everything is going fine, I go to put the first seal in and I bend it... I'm pretty pissed because this is a brand new National seal I just f'ed up and I have to wait until tomorrow to get a new one, so I just call it a night.

I head out the next day (Today, Saturday) and while I'm at work I run out an pick up a new axle and seal, get off work around 5pm, come home and throw everything back together in the knuckle, fine and dandy... So I get under the car and I start tearing at this axle, this son of a bitch will NOT come out after working at it for over an hour. Finally I give up and take the axle off the other side, drive a tool through and start banging to drive the bad axle out from the inside of the transmission, FAILURE, my tool separates itself and is lodged in the transmission.

Well at this point I don't want to screw around with something falling in, so I take the transmission completely out, set it on the ground and look in to grab the tool and it's gone, I'm looking on the ground wondering if it fell out on the ground when I took the tranny out, I tip the transmission to the side (clank clank) ah fuck... Well, at this point I might as well take a screwdriver and pop that son of a bitch axle out which took 10 seconds with the tranny out. Before anybody asks, the sucker was lodged between the pin so I figured she would be pretty well stuck in there.

Tomorrow, I get to clean the transmission, crack the bitch open, get my tool, seal, and reinstall everything all for a fucking axle that was just starting to go bad. I suck at this game. :cussing:

celica91gts
10-10-2010, 05:13 AM
haha, sorry to hear the hardship you went through man, but for me it's almost always like this. Maintaining a car as old as ours, things like oil changes are the only things that go real smooth it seems. Always gotta stop in the middle and replace something else you find broken.

Facime
10-10-2010, 06:23 AM
ouch! I hate when I make more work for myself, but damn you took that to the extreme. Couldnt you just have taken the outer joint apart and put new boots on it with the axle still installed in the trans/diff?

Either way, still sucks to spend all weekend finishing something that should have taken no more than a couple hours.

andy
10-10-2010, 06:56 AM
damn son, get you a pinch.

KooK
10-10-2010, 05:26 PM
ouch! I hate when I make more work for myself, but damn you took that to the extreme. Couldnt you just have taken the outer joint apart and put new boots on it with the axle still installed in the trans/diff?

Either way, still sucks to spend all weekend finishing something that should have taken no more than a couple hours.

Typically that's what I would have done, but prying on the axle itself I was hitting the seal, so I wanted to get it off to replace it in case I screwed that up.

The Captain
10-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Be thankful it wasn't an Alltrac.

ALAN
10-11-2010, 02:10 AM
I know a Toyota dealership who would pay you good money to work for them, this level of high end workmanship is right up thier alley.

Don't think job , think billable hours :cussing:

KooK
10-11-2010, 03:09 AM
You know what would have made this 1000x easier? If Toyota didn't tilt the damn engine backwards.

Be thankful it wasn't an Alltrac.

I've had an easier time on AWD DSMs and Evos then on some of the crap they threw at this car.

david in germany
10-14-2010, 10:25 AM
In an older Toyota like my former 4runner oil leaks are a welcome sight as it is prelube for the dis-assembly! lol Sorry about your misfortunes but it acquaints you well with your car when it is over and done with. :)

DudeMan
10-14-2010, 03:23 PM
^Which would also mean rust acts as loc tite! At least the cup is half full..

Mafix
10-15-2010, 07:12 PM
i'm sorry for the amount of work you had to do, and i don't mean the next tihing to sound like i'm being an ass though it will. you didn't use the right tool for the job. and that is the cause of all of this headache. working on cars for a living has certainly taught me that point to a "t"

Siyx
10-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Tough luck?? When i was your age we had to walk 30 miles to school, knee deep in snow with no socks or shoes uphill and ..... LOL. Ouch sorry to hear about your tough time. It's gotta suck something fierce.

Facime
10-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Tough luck?? When i was your age we had to walk 30 miles to school, knee deep in snow with no socks or shoes uphill and .....

Luxury!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FatHLHG2uGY&feature=related

KooK
10-16-2010, 01:00 AM
i'm sorry for the amount of work you had to do, and i don't mean the next tihing to sound like i'm being an ass though it will. you didn't use the right tool for the job. and that is the cause of all of this headache. working on cars for a living has certainly taught me that point to a "t"

You've got me wondering now, what is this right tool?

DudeMan
10-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Luxury!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FatHLHG2uGY&feature=related

A freezing lump of poison..

That was gold.

ALAN
10-16-2010, 03:48 AM
i'm sorry for the amount of work you had to do, and i don't mean the next tihing to sound like i'm being an ass though it will. you didn't use td joss for , googe right tool for the job. and that is the cause of all of this headache. working on cars for a living has certainly taught me that point to a "t"

Jeez give the bloke a break , sometimes you've just got to give something a go, right tools or not , mostly it'll work , bad joss this time it didn't , good joss for all the people who have read this post--now we know.

Boycott!Swagger
10-16-2010, 04:10 AM
Damn haha, i know the pain.. although that sucks balls

KooK
10-16-2010, 05:58 AM
Jeez give the bloke a break , sometimes you've just got to give something a go, right tools or not , mostly it'll work , bad joss this time it didn't , good joss for all the people who have read this post--now we know.

Nah it's cool, there was no offense taken on this end. He's right, if you don't have the right tool then you've got to know what risk you're taking, if you can accept that risk then go for it and be careful. Although I've never heard the term 'joss' before.

ALAN
10-17-2010, 02:59 AM
Nah it's cool, there was no offense taken on this end. He's right, if you don't have the right tool then you've got to know what risk you're taking, if you can accept that risk then go for it and be careful. Although I've never heard the term 'joss' before.

Joss --combination of luck and fate.