PDA

View Full Version : 165 wire harness conversion to 185

ericfragola
10-08-2010, 06:25 AM
i have my 185motor that was pulled from a 165. the person before me was runnning it off of a 165 ecu, with a 165 wire harness. he mentioned that it was converted for the engine, but i have no idea what he did. before i put this engine in, i want all the wiring done first. do i just leave it as is?(on the engine side) and change pinouts at the plug? itll be for a new 185 ecu. (ive yet to decide which ecu to get. most likely the 91 model since its readily available). or do i oull off the wires all together and connect my 185 harness to it and get the matching ecu? i dont want to have to pull the 165 wire if i dont have to. ie: if theyre simliair enough to work with.

this is just another stopping and slowing point on my swap :(

ChrisD
10-08-2010, 04:44 PM
If he's already converted the engine side - meaning, converted all the sensor plugs etc., then the easiest thing is probably to just swap the ECU pinouts to the new ST185 ECU plugs. And then deal with any extras on a case by case basis.

There are a couple differences, but it's not too hard. He might have already dealt with a few anyway as they reside in the engine side of the harness.

I think you'll need different ECU plugs though, they are different between the gens.

ericfragola
10-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Awesome. Sounds good. I have an extra 185 harnes that I can get the plugs from. The engine side of the harness is all chopped up. But the ecu plugs ae in good condition. All I need is the new ecu and I'm done.m I got the engine in lastnight. I'm stoked :) if I get a new ecu ordered today I should be done by next week. Its pretty exciting.