PDA

View Full Version : front struts

celicaGT90_05
10-07-2010, 05:42 PM
so Im in the middle of a suspension job, and finding it impossible to get out the front strut cartridge retainer ring. I've been beating on it lubing and cutting but this thing is ridiculous. So does anyone have any tips? Or better yet does anyone know of where I can just get the cartridge housings? In other words the lower part of the strut that bolts to the knuckle. If I can I'd very much prefer to just buy the damn things, thanks!

Galcobar
10-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Best manner I've found is to combine a vice and a breaker bar. Set the nut in the vice (strut upside down) and use a breaker bar through the bolt holes for the knuckle. Don't significantly loosen it while it's upside down or the oil will spill out.

See the alternative method: http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Suspension/ReplaceSpringStrut-1.HTM

celicaGT90_05
10-07-2010, 10:27 PM
I've thought of that but dont have an available vice unfortunately, but thanks for the tip!

KoreanJoey
10-08-2010, 04:50 AM
I just used a crescent wrench and a prybar through the holes... or use a chain wrench.

zmile06
10-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I just used a crescent wrench and a prybar through the holes... or use a chain wrench.

When i took mine apart like 3 years ago one was so loose i turned it with my hand... the others were loose enough to get a plumbers crescent wrench on and turn easily enough.