PDA

View Full Version : Differences between bumper cover/crash bar? 162v165

4thgenceli
10-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Looks like I'll need to get a st165 bumper cover to let some more air through to my intercooler. I notice the 165 has a different crash bar P/N as well. Do I need the 165's crash bar (behind the bumper) to mount the bumper cover too or can I just bolt the bumper from the 165 to the st162's crash bar?

ChrisD
10-07-2010, 04:32 PM
I am pretty confident that you can bolt the bumper using the 162 crash bar. I'd give that a try first anyway.

I'm not sure you'll get more air flow with the 165 cover though, I would say in terms of air flow they are almost identical - unfortunately both designs are limited by the gigantic crash bar. Just different design. Also, it would look funny without the complete 165 kit so you'd probably need to get everything.

4thgenceli
10-07-2010, 06:04 PM
The other alternative I have is to cut out holes in the crash bar/bumper cover to let some more flow to the intercooler. As it sits now, I have just about half covered by the bumper/crash bar.

ChrisD
10-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned to be honest. Even on mine, I am not worried about it running 17psi right now, might even go higher with the new IC. I'll monitor my IAT's to make sure, but really doubt I'll have an issue. Mine will be blocked by the crash bar too.

On Ryan's car, whose is setup almost identical to yours in terms of IC, the IC remains cold to the touch at all times. And physically touching the pipes, the hot side is warm, the cold side always rather cold.

A local buddy in town here (ianpen) overcame this issue with a 185, basically cut and welded up his crash bar to allow the flow, and also trimmed his front bumper to match. It's actually rather well done, but not something I'm interested in doing. I'd rather be a sleeper as much as I can.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

here's a pic, narrow body JDM ST185

http://www.93alltrac.com/events/Ogopogo%202010/P8074743_sm.JPG

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dVQEH6BdvXI/TGG1uRFWVCI/AAAAAAAACLc/VmnjpL8n3mI/s640/IMG_0647.JPG