PDA

View Full Version : redline 75w90 for the rear diff review

lalojamesliz
10-04-2010, 11:50 PM
has anyone here used this gear oil in their rear diff? my rear diff has a small leak and want to keep it full of oil until i replace the seal. any other oil suggestions guys? i want to replace that seal but it scares the crap out of me thinking how hard that job will be with my mechanical skills :frown: and doing it in my garage with jack stands

Nitro_Alltrac
10-05-2010, 02:18 AM
Is it the pinion seal in the front of the housing? Not a lot of fun. The thing with is is you'll have to pull the diff out of the housing to get the pinion out to replace the seal. You might be able to do it without removing the pinion but it would be tricky.

As for the Redline, I haven't run it myself. I've got the same weight Mobil 1 gear oil in mine. From what I've read though, the Redline is supposed to be good. I know a lot of the guys run it.

lalojamesliz
10-05-2010, 03:06 AM
I think it is the pinion seal your talking about :( have you replaced yours Mike? Do I just pull out the driveshaft and yank out the seal and replace it? I'll have to look into this alot more before I try to do it :( Someone gave me the part # 90311-38027 for earlier st185's and 90311-38019 for later made ones starting 09/1991. Is that the correct seal? I think I'll just Drain and fill and top off my rear diff with the mobil1 gear oil like you Mike until I fix that leak since the mobil1 is not $16 a quart!

Nitro_Alltrac
10-05-2010, 03:34 AM
If it's the one in the front of the diff where the driveshaft attaches, that's the pinion seal. I swapped my old diff out for a 205 torsen and the seal had already been replaced so I haven't done it. If I remember correctly, after you remove the driveshaft you'll have to remove the flange that it bolts to from the pinion. Should be one nut if I remember correctly. As for the seal, I'm not sure if you can replace it without having to remove the pinion. Some rear wheel drive diffs have the seal installed in such a way that you have to remove the pinion in order to get the seal out. Some don't. I'm not sure how the seal in our car goes in. I'd pm KoreanJoey and see if he knows. If you have to have pinion out it can get tricky and expensive. You'll have to remove the diff and ring gear from the housing and then take the pinion out. Putting that back together requires precise reassembly. It would be best to have that done at a machine shop or by someone how has experience reassembling a rear diff. If it doesn't go back together right it can cause a lot problem.

How much is yours leaking? If it's not real bad just keeping it topped off might be your best bet for now.

KoreanJoey
10-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Remove driveshaft from flange. Remove flange (one nut and careful use of a BFH or you can use a slide hammer). Get a seal puller, yank out pinion seal. Get a seal driver, drive new on in... No problem. Unless it's different from ALL the other rear pinion seals on all the other toyotas...

lalojamesliz
10-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Any specific torque settings? I'll check the BGB... Thanks alot guys. Oh yeah, the leak is a few drops in a few days that's why it's not a priority but it needs to be done.

Nitro_Alltrac
10-06-2010, 02:13 AM
Good info Joey! I knew you'd be the man to ask. I've never tried to replace the seal on any Toyotas but several of the domestic rwd's I've messed with required having to pull the pinion to replace it.

lalojamesliz
10-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Yeah thanks alot Joey :) was that you on mr2oc I sent a pm about a gen3 manifold? Just checking :)