PDA

View Full Version : ST (4A-FE) Exhaust Size (Diameter)?

93celicaconv
10-02-2010, 02:25 AM
My 1991 Celica ST (4A-FE) has the stainless stell exhaust, and it is in great condition, except for the spot where the center pipe and tail pipe clamp together (the steel clamps rusted apart, and I'm developing an exhaust leak).

Technically, both the center and tail (with muffler) pipes should be replaced, but Toyota wants over $500 for both pipes. An exhause place said they can cut in a 6" length (cut out the clamp area, weld one end of the 6" length to one pipe, put clamps on both end and flare them, then gasket & bolts and done), but I don't know what the pipe diameter size is to get a 6" piece to fit in.

Does anyone know?

Otherwise, I suppose I could go to a salvage yard and get under one and cut a length out and see if that piece can be made to work.

grimmythereaper
10-02-2010, 03:14 AM
ill look at mine in the morning and let you know

Hookecho
10-02-2010, 03:28 AM
Stock size is 1 3/4.

The muffler shop should be able to match it.

93celicaconv
10-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks, all. The muffler shop will match it, only they planned to put in an aluminized steel piece that they said should last 3-4 years. I would like to put in a stainless steel piece so I don't have to worry about fixing this repair job down the road.

I did find a section of exhaust from a 92 Celica ST in the salvage yard, so I'll just take this section to the muffler shop and have them cut out a piece that will do the job and have them form it and put it in. Hopefully they can use stainless and easy for this job as when they use aluminized steel. We'll see.