View Full Version : Importation Question

10-01-2010, 08:14 PM
My buddy owns a 1981 Lamorgini Countach. It is currently in Italy. He is thinking aobut bringing it over to the US. (he resides in th States)

What would need to be done to bring it over? Any mechanical changes?

Any issue Titling it?

10-01-2010, 08:44 PM
- Car must be 25 years or older for the states. It may also have to be on an import list, possibly called the RIV
- the headlights must be aimed to the right (if not already).
- must have proper DRL's hooked up and running.
- if he owns the car now he shouldn't have an issue with titling, its already his.
- he may need inspections (not sure what the states use, Canada needs an OOP)
- he will get crate fees, unpacking fees, transport fees and so on.
I'm sure i am missing a lot of other things that i can't think of right now. Dollar wise expect a few thousand to get it here.

10-01-2010, 08:46 PM
If he's in the military have him talk to someone on post about having it shipped over. Otherwise, it'll be a pain to bring over without some $$$

10-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Not military.

But he will have to have some lights installed. What about emmissions?

10-01-2010, 08:57 PM
That would come with the inspection mentioned above, like i said in Canada we have what's known as an OOP inspection. Stands for "Out of Province". So before the imported vehicle arrives on our "soil" it has been inspected "over there". It will also be inspected when it gets "here". Sorry for all the "" but you get the idea why i use them.
soil = your continent
over there = place the car resides now
here = where you import it to

10-01-2010, 09:23 PM
There are federal issues (tarrifs, fees, federal safety and emissions requirements, etc.) and then there are state issues (title, licencing, local smog compliance).

What state does he wish to bring it in to?
Also did he plan to drive it or just show it?

He probably should just contact someone at the USDOT.

10-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Knoxville, Tn

10-01-2010, 09:35 PM
note: I edited my post

Hmmm, I would have to look to see what state regs are there. I am familiar with OR, and FL only (FL is a good state to use for importation due to fairly loose state registration laws.)

10-01-2010, 10:35 PM
to import in the us:
must be on the list
must have all federal emissions installed (can go as far as having the computer changed, seen a 76hp r32 because of this before)
must have us standard (dot) headlights

10-01-2010, 10:43 PM
well if Im not mistaken the Lamorgini Countach was originally sold in the US as well, so its not like there isnt a USDM counterpart.

What I dont know is how being over the 25 year cutoff affects its emission status.

10-02-2010, 01:40 AM
IIRC, the 25 year cut-off is for safety not emissions. If the car is >25yrs. old it will need to be brought up to US safety specs since most cars built for sale in Europe or Asia do not meet the US standard. At the extreme it will need all the glass (windows and headlights) replaced, the doors/frame may need reinforced and it may also need the seatbelts and other equipment replaced. On the other side of that, it may not need any of that depending on where it was built or if Lambo didn't build all thier cars different depending on the sale area.

I know when I tried to bring my st185 back from Italy I would have needed to get the doors reinforced because it was built in Germany and was intended for sale in Europe only.

Take this with a grain of salt as I may not be remembering everything, or may be remembering wrong. Best bet would be to get in contact with USDOT and a reputable shipping company/importer for the best info.

10-02-2010, 03:57 AM
I would think it would be highly defendant on the state your friend is bringing the car in insofar as any entanglements.

The car is over 25 YO so I would think that the "official" (tariff) value would be really low - and also that USA smog rules would not apply to it - so I would think the federal end of it would not be so difficult - so long as your friend knows how to do the paperwork (and WHAT paperwork/forms need to be filed).

The real challenge will be to get it registered in the state - and all that depends on the regulations of that state.

The info above from Physlis is best - get a professi9nal importer company that knows all the "ins and outs" to tell you the trade-offs.