PDA

View Full Version : My Fail = Knock Sensor Fail

Hookecho
09-29-2010, 12:06 AM
When I bought my motor I installed a new timing belt. Unfortunately the timing belt was defective and only lasted for 600 miles. It started coming apart in a bad way so I replaced it with a new one today.

When I was installing the tensioner I dropped the washer from the bolt and could not find it. So I used another washer and went about my business. Got everything buttoned up and cranked the engine and let it idle for a while so I could check the timing.

I then heard "ting ting ting ting" and quickly shut down the motor. Upon investigating the noise I heard I discovered my missing washer. It was riding on the inside lip of the intake cam gear and had apparently bounced around a few times. I don't know how in the hell it got there. There wasn't any damage to anything so I felt relieved.

Took the car for a spin and got 100ft down the road and threw a code 52. Hoping it was just a fluke I reset the ECM and took off down the road with the same results. At least I have the comfort of knowing that the knock sensor does its job. I hate that it had to hand grenade on me though.

I hope to find one that I can use at the Pull-A-Part tomorrow. I'm going to crawl under every vehicle out there until I find one comparable. I'm hoping there will be a Camry or Celica I can get one from.

I also need to get a radiator for my truck. Good times.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Looks like they have about 14 Camrys 93+.

4thgenceli
09-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Woah...so you're swap has bottom end issues as well, or you think it's a faulty knock sensor?

FluffyNutts
09-29-2010, 01:58 AM
If you don't have any luck with the Knock Sensor at the U pull it, ATS racing has one for 73.00. Or you can find one from a chevy and make an adapter for it to fit.... The ATS comes with one though.

http://atsracing.net/Parts.mvc/Details/EL-KNOCKSENSOR

BabyBear
09-29-2010, 02:49 AM
I ran the ATS one, didn't like it. I'd find one off of another yota.

Hookecho
09-29-2010, 02:57 AM
Woah...so you're swap has bottom end issues as well, or you think it's a faulty knock sensor?

Nah, bottom end is just fine. The knock sensor died because of the pinging caused from the washer bouncing around between the cam gear and head. It's not uncommon for hard pings to cause a knock sensor failure. The sensor was likely on its way out anyway.

Hookecho
09-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Wtf Jamie. Did you double post and delete them both?

We went to the Pull-A-Part this morning and picked up a couple of knock sensors from a Camry. $10 for both of them.

I installed one and the car runs fine know.

Luni
09-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Good snuff Brucie.

zmile06
10-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Ok quick question... Do all cars have knock sensors? And how often do they go bad...? And if it goes bad i'm guessing your engine comes up with a weird knock sense it can't regulate it properly? Sorry repairs cars a lot but first time hearing about this sensor in a repair story.

JDM92
10-04-2010, 07:28 AM
does u pull apart have knock sensors for a 1991 3sgte if so can you get me one?

Hookecho
10-04-2010, 04:45 PM
The knock sensor from any 92 - 99 camry 4 cylinder 5sfe will work. The harness plug is slightly different though. All you have to do is trim the guide rail on the 5sfe knock sensor a little and the 3sgte plug will slide on it.

All junkyards have lots of camrys. My local pull a part had 20.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Ok quick question... Do all cars have knock sensors? And how often do they go bad...? And if it goes bad i'm guessing your engine comes up with a weird knock sense it can't regulate it properly? Sorry repairs cars a lot but first time hearing about this sensor in a repair story.

Most vehicles have knock sensors. All 92+ Celicas do. The 3sgte always has them. If the ecu detects knock it will retard timing until the knocking stops. This occurrence will not result in a check engine light. Think of the knock sensor as a microphone. It is always on and listening for certain frequencies. If the sensor stops listening all together then the ecu will throw a code and the motor will run like poo as a safety precaution.

zmile06
10-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks Hookecho, probable the best explanation someone could give.

andy
10-05-2010, 06:34 AM
dont use the GM one its not on the same freq as the toyota ones and will not register knock when it needs to be done.