PDA

View Full Version : Need help chasing a dim headlight issue.

KooK
09-28-2010, 04:03 AM
So, I just picked up another Celica, this one is a 1990 GT 5spd that had a little damage on the drivers front that I'm working on. One of the issues currently is that the headlight is dim on both high and low beam. Typically I would chalk this one up to a poor ground, however checking it with the multimeter, the voltage is low coming out of the wires. I'm assuming that both headlights connect up either in the engine bay or under the dash somewhere (drawing power from the same source) and I'm just wondering where this source may be so I can ohm these wires. I ask right now only because the book I have has a horrible wiring diagram and it also doesn't tell me where the relay is.

Thanks in advance.

grimmythereaper
09-28-2010, 07:18 AM
look at the wiring and make sure that both are NOT wired up to the low setting

KooK
09-29-2010, 02:25 AM
Just to keep updated, when I disconnect the passenger headlamp (the one that works properly) the drivers one shuts off.

Anywho, I've traced it back to a single wire that looks like it runs back into the fuse box that sits next to the battery. I lost too much sunlight to continue working on it so I guess I'll pop that thing apart and ohm it out tomorrow, see if the connector in there is any good. The good news is, the wiring harness itself looks untouched thus far, so I don't think it was somebody hacking their way through anything.

grimmythereaper
09-29-2010, 03:52 AM
hope that fixs bro. good luck

KooK
09-30-2010, 02:08 AM
ALRIGHT, after testing the wire itself, everything on it's end looked good all the way back to the fuse box (took a little to figure out which wire it actually was considering the goofy way this fuse box is setup). So I was a little baffled, either a broken solder joint or Toyota has 2 fuses, one for each headlight. Sure enough I looked at the fuses and one of them was blown. So I suppose problem solved, although it's a cool way to do things (having one dim instead of not working if a fuse blows). Still strikes me as odd but I suppose I don't ever blow headlight fuses too often.