PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys... Trying to get back into the Celi fold... QUESTION!!

LoKi The Infidel
09-23-2010, 08:56 PM
Looking at a used 2000 GT-S. It has been dealer maintained, and as far as I know, no engine mods. Has 190,000 KM's on it.

What should I look for specifically before I buy it? The price is ok, but I haven't owned a Celi now for 5 years and I'm not sure how they held up over the last decade... Need advice!! Help your old bro LoKi out... Especially since that means I can spend more time here again!!

You know I love you guys. :brownnoser:

:smiley_withloki:

4thgenceli
09-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Who the hell are you again?

Have the lift bolts been replaced at all?

LoKi The Infidel
09-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Bwahahaa. I'm a long lost brother... :D

I'll find out about the lift bolts. All I can go on is what this guy claims, but I'll ask him if he has any service records, or if he can give me the dealership name where it was maintained at least.

MCcelica
09-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Holy shit it's Loki. I thought you died bro.

Yeah, lift bolts are one, strut mounts also. When you drive it, also listen/feel for any gears grinding.

zmile06
09-24-2010, 06:14 AM
Why do the lift bolts go bad on them so much.

KoreanJoey
09-24-2010, 06:14 AM
Check for oil consumption...

I'd say don't.

LoKi The Infidel
09-24-2010, 06:29 AM
Don't bother with it? Hmm... That's a shame... I really miss my old girl. We'll see though. Hopefully I can take it for a spin tomorrow or Saturday.

I really want a newer Dodge Charger tbh, but even an 05 is slightly out of my price range. I can get this 2k GT-S for under 6K in Canadian wooden nickels possibly... :dunno:

I didn't die! I've been working my ass off with my band... I have so much huge news... I'll start a thread in OT tomorrow morning.

85gtsblackman
09-24-2010, 06:31 AM
1st or 3rd gen if u want rwd

4th or 5th if u want awd

6th if u want fwd

end/

Hookecho
09-24-2010, 01:55 PM
If it seems like a sound machine then buy it. I had a chance to ride in a 7th Gen GTS the other day and was impressed. Though it is slower than my car it is still alot of fun. I want me one.

Luni
09-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Dont listen to Joey Loki.

Hes jaded, cause he has to work on every IDIOTS car who lives up that way.

2zz engines are overall pretty damn reliable. They never really had oil consumption issues (beyond the quart-quart and a half between oil changes if you hit lift alot), they DO have issues with their lift bolts (the first generation lift bolts were just designed wrong so they sheared - if theyve been replaced with the revised ones, youre generally fine)

Their transmissions are weak, so, check to see if yours engages properly. Other than that, theyre pretty solid cars man.

ChrisD
09-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Holy fuck it's LOKI!

I'd say just be careful with all the typical wear and tear items, given the mileage. Brakes, shocks, tires, etc. But if they are not so hot that is always a good bargaining point, easy to fix those.

You still in Calgary? We are starting to accumulate a good group of Celica people here, good beer-drinking people too.

LoKi The Infidel
09-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Ya man! Still here! I've been all across Canada and back in the last while... Come out and see the band sometime! We're at Rusty Cage Central on the 1st and 2nd of Oct and we're doing our massive CD release party there on the 14th... I think tix are almost sold out for that, but I might have some pull... :hehe:

www.stevechurchillcopper.com is the website. Check out the new single and let me know what you think! I'm not singing, just doing guitars and background vox. We're on the radio in Lethbridge *106* and in the Hat.

I'm hopefully going to check it the celi today and get a good look. I want it as cheap as I can get it! I did find out that the lift/flange bolts have not been replaced so that would be first on my list of things to do, but the guy has a stack of records from maintenance over the years. He's the second owner I believe.

Luni my brother... How have things been?! It has been AGES... I have so much stuff to tell... Time to start a thread in OT... :D

Luni
09-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Lok DAWG! Start that thread dude.

Well, the long of the short is, I bought a 7th gen GTS, I misshifted it, my MR2 got wrecked, I took the insurance money and fixed the Celica, sold the MR2, bought another MR2, I have a girl, been with her almost 3 years, doing pretty good overall, still here, everythings k00!

LoKi The Infidel
09-25-2010, 03:12 AM
Well.. The engine seems to be solid. All of the appointments work *pwr mirrors, sunroof ect*... It has a hideous carbon fiber hood and shopping cart wing, but the original body parts come with it...

Here's the 'iffy's'... The tranny feels weird in 2nd and 3rd. Rough maybe? . I'm not sure if it's my imagination, or if maybe the car has been sitting a really long time and I'm just working the rust off. *the actual owner no longer lives in the city and the car has been parked*. It goes into gear really smoothly, and the clutch feels ok, but the car feels like it's moving rough in 2 and 3.

CEL is on. Could be anything, but there is a slight hesitation while accelerating so it's probably a dirty MAF or something simple... Not too sure. Brakes are good. Bit of a clunk in the suspension going over bumps *strut mounts?*

It's got some obvious ricer appointments too.. Neons in the footwell, a push button start that looks like it was hacked into place... The center console plastics were painted black. The stereo has a bad alternator whine... That's the kinda stuff I can deal with... Cosmetic or minor issues...

The tranny thing worries me. I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid or if it really felt horrible. First and Reverse were fine...

Didn't get it up to Lift, but the engine is in great shape. Very clean under the hood. No obvious leaks, but was down about a quart of oil.

I'm maybe going to make the guy an offer, or see if I can get the car into a mechanic to give me the haps on the tranny.

Rust wise, the passenger side door is rusted all along the bottom lip. Not showing outside, but very weird. Exhaust is good, hell, even the trunk lifts still work. If I tossed the wing, cleaned it up and re-did most of the interior stuffs, I could drive it.

What should I be looking for with a bad manual transmission?

Oh yeah, it also had GT pedals. Not the metal GT-S pedals. Weird.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Hey... I just noticed that I only have 288 posts now... wtf? Hahahaha

When I left I'm sure I had at least 6000. :p

usp45
09-25-2010, 11:16 AM
whatever you do buy a celica. preferably a 4g, or 3g, but any gen will suffice. Oh, and you should be happy this is my #301 post cuz i was gonna request a name change to "I AM SPARTA" and maintain my perfect 300 post count! However telling you to buy a celica was more important!

Murg or Blackcloud or grayscale???? if I could somehow change my name to I AM SPARTA and keep my post count infinitly at 300. Hook a brother up????!!!!!! usp45 sucks as username i just jotted it in cuz my first account "streetrider" fudged up on me.

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

F it I don't even care about the post count. I'm just sick of usp45! can I get a what what?

ChrisD
09-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I'd take it in to a mechanic, get their opinion on the tranny, and check what the CEL is. Maybe some bargaining points.

Wierd thing with that rust. I'd sand it down, treat it with some rust-stopping chemical (I like rust-mort), and repaint it. Just to keep it from spreading.

Probably your post count dropped when the rule on OT posts changed. OT posts don't count towards post count any more.

LoKi The Infidel
09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I'd take it in to a mechanic, get their opinion on the tranny, and check what the CEL is. Maybe some bargaining points.

Wierd thing with that rust. I'd sand it down, treat it with some rust-stopping chemical (I like rust-mort), and repaint it. Just to keep it from spreading.

Probably your post count dropped when the rule on OT posts changed. OT posts don't count towards post count any more.
Bwhaah. Yeah, that makes sense. I had a TON of OT posts.

I might have to pass on this celi. It's been on the market since the beginning of summer and hasn't sold. I was hoping it would need minor work but this is sounding pretty major. I called Mr. Transmission and they said if it was the input shaft bearing it *which is what it sounds like* it would cost about $1800 to repair. A new tranny is around $5000, and he wants $6500 for the car...

I'm not too worried about the rust, it's just in a strange spot that makes me worry about water leaks *sunroof or around the door sill*.

I want the car, and as I said, the engine is pristine... But I'm looking at a Dodge Magnum today. I'd prefer a Charger, but with a baby on the way, the Magnum might be ideal... :hehe:

Luni
09-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Dude. How could you go from wanting a Celica, to a farking Magnum?

Seriously. You get what you pay for in a Dodge. I swear.

ChrisD
09-27-2010, 06:29 PM
For $6500 you could probably land an ST205. *somethingtothinkabout*

:D

Smaay
09-27-2010, 07:38 PM
what tranny cost 5000? dude do some research, brand new 6 speeds only cost about 2000.

T-spoon
09-27-2010, 09:04 PM
what tranny cost 5000? dude do some research, brand new 6 speeds only cost about 2000.

Canadialand funny-money?? :hehe:

Luni
09-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Only? LOL. Thats still a GRIP.

Im with Chris Loki. Get a 205.

LoKi The Infidel
09-27-2010, 11:12 PM
I'd love to, but I need something that can hold all of my gear. My old 2K GT held all of the gear I needed to take to shows, and I absolutely love the 7th gen look.

And yeah, when I researched I found a new 7th gen 6spd tranny for $5000 plus taxes and plus installation. Rebuilt tranny's are close to 4k. Hell, a rebuild in Canadian funds is $2k *yes I called Mr. Transmission*. No, I'm not installing it myself in my un-heated garage with good old 40 below Canadian winter on my doorstep, and nothing but hand tools.

The reason why I dug the Magnum is because it'll easily hold all my gear, it has super low km's and is a nice big vehicle for carting the family around, whereas my pregnant girlfriend cannot get in and out of the Celi very easily, and putting a car seat in the Celica might be a pain in the ass. We'll see though.

Still, no matter how you slice it, this car isn't worth $6000. I wouldn't pay more than 3k given it's condition, and the seller won't go that low.

Luni
09-27-2010, 11:39 PM
To be honest, Id like to think a 205 would hold whatever a 7th gen would.

LoKi The Infidel
09-27-2010, 11:55 PM
To be honest, Id like to think a 205 would hold whatever a 7th gen would.
I bet it's pretty close. I'll have to do some research. There are a couple 5th gen All-Tracs for sale in town in my price range. I do not want a RHD though, if I can help it. I know for sure my gear fits in the 5th gen... The only hassle is that any car over 12 years of age needs to undergo a crazy inspection in Alberta for insurance and registration, and if the certified inspectors decide that it 'fails' on any count they can hold it and render the car inoperable. Sounds like a scam, because it is. I got SCREWED on my out of province inspection with my old Jeep... the Jeep was 2 years old when I moved here and in mint shape *I didn't even drive it out here, I had it shipped* and they 'failed' it over a part that was fine *they didn't' even replace the part* and my ex-wife paid it because she didn't know better.

ChrisD
09-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Yeah, the GT4 models hold a little less than the 2WD models because the fuel tank sits higher up. So you have about 6" less depth. Also, the ST205 has a rear strut brace stock which can get in the way when you fold the seats down. I suppose you could remove it.

185 wouldn't have that. The trouble with the LHD cars is that generally, they are way higher mileage and need more work. The JDM cars are usually in pretty pristine condition comparatively. My 205 is now at 111,000 km's, it's a '94, and I bought it at 89k.

But understandable if you need the space. That's why we bought the Acura RDX. We just got a larger dog, plus it's easier to carry my bikes and gear.

With all of that said, I have fit two full size mountain bikes, gear, and two people in my ST165. :D

RHD, well not so bad. Have you tried it? My wife drives ours regularly, she doesn't seem to mind.

LoKi The Infidel
09-29-2010, 06:51 AM
I don't mind driving RHD all that much. I'd just prefer to find a good LHD that needs work and then I'd have a project!