PDA

View Full Version : looking at buying a 2000 celica GTS few questions

zmile06
09-19-2010, 01:16 AM
I test drived it, looked it over. There is a clunking noise he's claiming is from the front strut rubber bushing. Sounded like it was coming from the front, and it was from small bumps. Does that sound likely to you guys?

Also the oil was smack dab in the middle of the 2 dots on the dipstick, thats where it's suppose to be correct? I haven't checked them on the newier celica's before.

It also had a clicking noise, that to me like normal fuel injectors etc. Should i be worried about this at all? It's an automatic so i doubt it has bent valves, responded find shifted fine has 190k on it.

Let me know thanks guys.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-19-2010, 02:08 AM
I'll leave the other two questions for the 7th gen experts but the oil level is saying it's half a quart low. That part is going to be like any other car. The top level is full, the lower one is add a quart. It's probably nothing to worry about but it would be helpful if you knew how many miles the oil change had on it. With 190K, it's probably going to use some oil. My 3S uses about a quart every 3000 miles.

zmile06
09-19-2010, 02:17 AM
I didn't see any leaks on the car, the guy owns a shop, and dealership i think. Said it was his personal vehicle though. He said it didn't use any oil though so it kind of pisses me off it was in the middle, if it used no oil it would be at the full line.

The front bumper he said got torn off by a parking block so it was riveted and bolted on, and the dust shield was missing on the front bumper portion of it. I didn't really see tear marks on the front bumper though. So who knows if he's lying or not.

It's only 3800 body is really really clean, drivers seat has the seams coming off on the bottom portion from the thread separating.

I just want to make sure that clunking noise coming from the front couldn't be anything major like the engine or transmission.

He also said he had to turn the engine off to check the oil? I always left it running when i checked the oil on my 93 celica

I'm a little iffy on buying it, it's a great price. Guy seemed honest enough, but it's just a little weird of a situation.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-19-2010, 02:25 AM
You want to have the engine off to check the oil, otherwise you won't get a good reading. The engine oil dipstick is calibrated for the engine being off and all the oil in the pan.

For the automatic transmission though, you check that with the engine running and preferably the tranny warm. If you check that one with the engine off it's going to read way high.

With 190K, if nothing has been done to the engine, I'd be highly surprised if it didn't use a little oil. It's really nothing to be worried about as long as it's not going through a quart every couple of hundred miles. Even a brand new car will use some oil. (For some manufacturers using a quart every thousand miles is in within "spec". If it was a new car, I wouldn't be happy if it was using oil that fast.) See if you can find out how many miles are on the oil change.

zmile06
09-19-2010, 02:31 AM
I think he said a month ago so half a quart a month is not too bad. Might of been later then that even, guy talked A LOT.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-19-2010, 02:53 AM
Mileage is more what you need to know rather than the time since the change.

If he's driven like an average driver it should have around 1000 miles on it, so not too bad is that's the case.

zmile06
09-19-2010, 05:20 AM
forgot to add the bolts were drilled into the bumper near the seam, little ugly nothing big. Would you guys buy this car for 3800 i guess is what i'm realling asking?

MCcelica
09-19-2010, 06:36 AM
7th gens are somewhat notorious for going through those strut bushings. Mine had the same thing going on for a while. It's also not out of the ordinary to use a lil oil in them either. I'd like to see a pic of this bumper before I say yay or nay as to if it's a good deal or not though.

zmile06
09-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Well here is the add http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1918320489.html

I don't have pictures of the bumper, it's not that ghetto, it could probable be fixed with a new stock bumper. The clips more then likely got messed up when it tore. And the screw holes maybe? It looks fine actually, can't tell it got torn off except for the bolt he put on it.

I cranked it a little up to 4,500 rpm and it shifted without a jerk on the highway. I figured for 3800 i can put another 1,000 into it and it would worth 4800 or so.

It was owned by a mechanic for a year, which makes me nervous, and happy some what? He could cover up things wrong with it, or of maintained it really well.

How much are the bushings? I would defiantly like to fix it ASAP.

---------- Post added at 05:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 AM ----------

oh forgot to add does anyone here think carfax is worth it? I've heard mixed reviews...

SweetGTS
09-19-2010, 07:52 AM
That clunking sound is from the strut...well sounds like it. I have the same problem, but my car is lowered so it makes the clunking sound at almost every bump.

zmile06
09-19-2010, 08:53 AM
So if a front bumper is torn off from a parking block, if i buy a new front bumper it "SHOULD" reattach correctly without his ghetto mounting bolts to hold the seam correct? Before i buy it I'm going to push on the bumper to make sure it's not going to fall off on me.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-19-2010, 01:57 PM
I would think that you'd be able to put another bumper on without much problem. More than likely the mounting holes in the bumper were torn out when the cover was ripped off. A new one should bolt back up OK.

zmile06
09-19-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm just going to pass on the car having too many doubts. Thanks for the help though guys.

klapa
09-19-2010, 10:39 PM
It pays to "hang in there".

For my GTS parts car - it started out at $900 - with a tow needed.

It ended at $450 - with the tow included. In the meantime I looked at it twice and turned the guy down twice.

If somebody else pays the price - well - then it's gone.

Else maybe the guy needs cash and will settle for substantially less.

Still - in your case the car is a driver - and a highly desirable car to have.

It never hurts to "low-ball" an offer - all that could happen is that the guy says no - and then later calls you back when the parking place starts costing too much.

bzdweezy
09-20-2010, 01:28 AM
So people/oil change places only put 4qts in the zz engine and that would put it right in the middle of the full line.

zmile06
09-20-2010, 05:24 AM
Yeah but a GTS with almost 190k miles the tranny could of been abused it's automatic after all. Plus i don't trust the engine in it too much. The bolted on front bumper eww. The guy seems like a liar too. All signs point to a liar, or wrecked and barley strung together car.

Okctrd
09-21-2010, 07:40 AM
just wait and another will surely appear, one with less miles.

Luni
09-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah dude. Hold out. I wouldnt buy a pieced together auto for 3800 with that many miles on it.