PDA

View Full Version : Alternator not charging after v-belt failure

jamesstuartgrainger
09-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Drove to the other end of the island today to get a new vee belt for the alternator as the old one had signs of wear on the edges. Sadly it it failed on the way there. I've now fitted a new belt, but there's no charge going to the battery now according to the Voltmeter dash display.

My multimeter and service manual haven't arrived on island here yet so I'm hoping you can help me with some initial diagnostics please.

Troubleshooting 1:
The wiring into the alternator (ign, switched and live) is terribly frayed and broken where they enter the plug: I've tried twisting the wires together better but not solved the problem yet. Can these wires and their spade connectors be removed from the plug?

Troubleshooting 2:
There's a wire hanging loose in the same area - I can't find what it should connect to! It's yellow with a black stripe and terminates with a female spade connector and is in the same harness as the alternator wiring, going over the cambelt cover.

I've not managed to find a wiring diagram on this forum or the internet that shows what it is for.

Could it be for the temp sensor (my temp gauge is not functioning)? I'd like to isolate it from the alternator problem if that's possible.

I'm trying to upload some photos that will help explain the above more clearly.

Thanks for reading and considering my 2 problems. It's great to read all the expert advice that's given freely here.

grimmythereaper
09-19-2010, 02:51 AM
it looks like you have a celica st. when i had this problem i had to cut the wires back and rewire the plug bc it shorted out and burnt the wire a good ways back

jamesstuartgrainger
09-19-2010, 03:28 AM
Hi Grimmy

Thanks for answering! I've done that tonight and crimped on new spade connectors and I'm getting all the right lights up! Looks like my alternator isn't the right one for the model (90 4AFE Celica ST) and therefore the plug sits so close to the manifold heat shield that it's touching.

I've also identified the mystery wire as for the dashboard oil light. Making progress!

Just need to source a working alternator. I understand that the 4AFE engined Corolla shares the same one!

grimmythereaper
09-19-2010, 03:21 PM
glad to help out. It should be the same part it would make sense.