PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions?? I could use the help

manda
09-18-2010, 02:44 AM
(I drive a 94 st)

I replaced the motor mounts in July because the old ones were busted... bad
car drove fine for a while, very little vibration, drove much quieter, etc.

Over the last few weeks, However, the car is vibrating very hard when theres a load on the engine... worse than it did with the busted mounts. It's gotten to the point that I take the car out of drive if I'm in traffic or stopped at a light to avoid the vibrating...
I've looked it over and everything appears to be tightened down and correctly installed, no abnormal noises, and drives just fine....

Any ideas as to what the issue could be? I'm trying to avoid having to take it to a shop out here..
Any help is appreciated!

4thgenceli
09-18-2010, 02:45 AM
Which mounts did you replace? I know that on my wife's Mazda, we had to replace all 5 mounts even though only 2 were busted in order to stop the vibrations.

manda
09-18-2010, 02:48 AM
replaced all of them.. they were all REALLY bad...

mt953
09-18-2010, 06:09 AM
i have the same thing with mine, but its not that bad. i think it might be some thing in the trans that may be still applyed a little, like the torqur converter lockup. but its hard to test for on the car

Galcobar
09-18-2010, 07:36 AM
What's happening with the RPMs when you notice the vibration?

manda
09-18-2010, 07:25 PM
RPMs stay steady, no change at all when its vibrating.. I'm gonna try to drive it around a little later and see if i notice anything.. ill keep you posted.

Galcobar
09-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Stay steady at what readings?

The Captain
09-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Idle? In neutral? Under acceleration? In reverse? Steady state? Any loss of power?

If it only does it under load (acceleration or applying power to maintain speed) I'm wondering if it's a CV joint...

Can't be a torque converter lockup. If it was the motor would die when you stop. It would be like never pushing in the clutch.

manda
09-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Cappy--
vibrates very bad while idling.. nothing in reverse, neutral, when actually driving its fine for the most part...
no vacuum leaks
no engine noise
no loss of power

If you're flying out near Searcy anytime feel free to come take a look. lol

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

Stay steady at what readings?

Right now its idling around 800-900 but vibrations weren't quite as bad today when i drove it..

METDeath
09-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Did you properly torque all the bolts involved? I know I had a bit of a rattle issue after installing my poly mounts that were loose bolts. Thankfully I didn't lose any on the highway drive back after installing them.

manda
09-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Did you properly torque all the bolts involved? I know I had a bit of a rattle issue after installing my poly mounts that were loose bolts. Thankfully I didn't lose any on the highway drive back after installing them.

i did indeed... and I've triple checked them just to make sure...

mt953
09-20-2010, 01:47 AM
so its mostly when ur in drive and stoped right.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

one more thing is it form the driver side or passager side.

manda
09-20-2010, 02:01 AM
yes, in drive when stopped.
and its from seemingly all over.. lol i know that doesn't really help..
steering wheel vibrates real bad.. seats vibrate... its basically the whole front end that shakes.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

and by "real bad" i mean if you try to hold the wheel to make it stop somewhat you literally begin to vibrate as much as the car.. which is obnoxious

The Captain
09-20-2010, 02:16 AM
Guess I'd recheck the mounts. The rubber stuff inside.

manda
09-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Will do tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the suggestions/help thus far!

85gtsblackman
09-20-2010, 06:01 AM
crossmember bushings? (i think our cars have these, not 100% sure though)

exaust hanger(s) broken?

only other things i can think to check atm

Galcobar
09-20-2010, 06:50 AM
The cross-member bushings do indeed exist on Celicas -- there's four on the front-rear crossmember to which the front and rear motor mounts are attached.

mt953
09-20-2010, 03:24 PM
check the lower A-arms bushings too

manda
09-20-2010, 04:27 PM
thanks guys! I may just take it to a shop at the end of the week and see if they can figure it out.. I know I cant right now. Here's to hoping its not gonna cost me a fortune to get sorted out...

manda
10-04-2010, 11:19 PM
just a little update....

car stopped vibrating as hard when at a stop for the most part, but is now vibrating a tiny bit when driving (in other words- drives a little rough) and still vibes somewhat at a stop... no power loss.. but horrible gas mileage.. got abt 60 miles to half a tank... :-(

Took it to a shop today... after driving the car the guy told me he doesn't think its the cat converter or the torque converter... maybe some carbon build up..... but he doesn't think its anything serious, but he's not entirely sure.

Just my luck, as soon as i leave there and go grocery shopping... it starts vibrating as hard as it was to begin with... joy..
Basically I'm back at square one