PDA

View Full Version : bypass filter question

85gtsblackman
09-15-2010, 08:36 AM
well ill be installing a cai i got for the cheap on the beater, anyway, would a bypass filter on the cai result in warmer air intake temps?

Hookecho
09-15-2010, 01:07 PM
It does but it will be just a slight increase. I couldn't be sure without measuring but I'm guessing less than 1 degree. The volume and mass of cooler air introduced from the big filter is going to be much greater than that of the warm air that is introduced to the stream by the bypass filter. In theory it has to effect the temperature but it isn't so much that a CAI would be less effective than a short ram.

CAI > short ram.

85gtsblackman
09-15-2010, 05:49 PM
It does but it will be just a slight increase. I couldn't be sure without measuring but I'm guessing less than 1 degree. The volume and mass of cooler air introduced from the big filter is going to be much greater than that of the warm air that is introduced to the stream by the bypass filter. In theory it has to effect the temperature but it isn't so much that a CAI would be less effective than a short ram.

CAI > short ram.

yeah thats what i was thinking, i wouldnt run one but i rains so much here and its so random that i dont want to take the hydrolock risk

Hookecho
09-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I had a bypass filter on my CAI when I had the 5sfe.

85gtsblackman
09-16-2010, 04:36 AM
mississippi dont have drains and such for the water though, just ditches