PDA

View Full Version : Toyota A-BAT concept

usp45
09-10-2010, 06:09 AM
I haven't been big on post 90s toyotas, but I freakin dig this thing. It just needs a cleaner grill.

http://www.toyota.com/concept-vehicles/abat.html

Its got my vote.

85gtsblackman
09-10-2010, 07:33 AM
:sick:

usp45
09-10-2010, 09:38 AM
whatever black, put a brush guard and rally lights on it and that thing is pure sex.

Hipster Lawrence
09-10-2010, 11:23 AM
If it is anything like the fj cruiser it will suck ass. I like to be able to see out of cars I drive.

cms-gt4
09-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Must of been done by the same guy who designed the RSC.
http://www.insideline.com/toyota/rsc-concept/2001-chicago-toyota-rsc-concept.html

UtahSleeper
09-10-2010, 05:28 PM
To extreme for toyota to every put out.

And blah, but I am not a fan of trucks and suv's.

T-spoon
09-11-2010, 04:01 AM
Yeah, that's terrible.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-11-2010, 04:02 AM
Toyota needs a cheaper truck. They took the Tacoma too far up market at last model change. In my opinion, they should have kept the building the old, cheap model along with the new one. It could have been Tacoma Classic or something. Mini pickups used to be an entry level vehicle for a lot of folks. If one of the manufacturers would set up and build one again they could probably make some cash and move a lot of trucks.

Lonestag
09-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Looks like a lunar rover...

usp45
09-13-2010, 08:44 PM
I think thats why, I like it... I could totaly see that thing ramping craters.

But yeah, I'm sure blindspots and engine access would be a total pita on that thing.

And I agree with Nitros statement fully

And I know I'm not supposed to start sentences with but or and

BabyBear
09-13-2010, 09:03 PM
I think thats why, I like it... I could totaly see that thing ramping craters.

But yeah, I'm sure blindspots and engine access would be a total pita on that thing.

And I agree with Nitros statement fully

And I know I'm not supposed to start sentences with but or and

But you do it anyway?

I'm not too much of a fan of that thing. It like a futuristic hotwheels lookin thing.

Terracar
09-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Looks like a Honda Ridgeline on roids

-Terracar

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Some insight into the process of automotive design:

Sketches and models start off conceptually and are very bold. There is a heavy graphic element to the design before it goes to clay / 3D modeling. This heaviness connects to materials and the nature of the 3D software used. It takes years to refine a "chunky" concept into a vehicle that meets all the other areas of auto design; safety, manufacturing costs, interior design, assembly, technology.

The reason concept cars of the 50's look so different from today's designs, relates again, to the materials used to conceptualize them; grid paper and pencil. You can trace almost any design to the materials / medium used to design them. There are inherent connections and limitations.

That out of the way, given 10 years of refinement, this could be an awesome cross-vehicle.

Here is a concept that was part of the 2000 GT-S refinement, conceived way after the original drawings and models had ever been made:

http://www.carstyling.ru/resources/concept/99toyota_celica_cruising_deck_2.jpg

Mafix
09-14-2010, 04:17 PM
honestly, i don't like a single car on there.

sodap0p
09-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Looks like a Honda Ridgeline on roids

-Terracar

x2

Boycott!Swagger
09-14-2010, 06:45 PM
That yellow thing should just be called a celitruck, and as much i love celica's i wouldn't drive that

darthripley
09-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Mini pickups used to be an entry level vehicle for a lot of folks. If one of the manufacturers would set up and build one again they could probably make some cash and move a lot of trucks.

you know Mike I was just thinking that & had a conversation with Joe about it the other day.
my dad has a little Nissan hardbody minitruck (has the KA24DE in it) & people are always asking him when he goes somewhere if it's for sale.
there's a definite market for minitrucks out there esp in texas but i really miss that part of the pickup market.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-15-2010, 02:21 AM
I really think all the manufacturers screwed up. Everybody made them bigger and more expensive. They've gone so big with their "small" trucks that in some cases they are almost as big as what a half ton truck was in the 70's and 80's. They've also made them too expensive. I read an interview with one of the managers at Dodge, oh I mean Ram, and he made a great point. They've upped the size of the Dakota to the point where it will tow like 7000 or 8000 pounds, added a V8 and all this other crap and then sat it in the show room with a full size Ram and people are coming in and say, "Hell of a thousand or two more I can get a Ram". This is pretty much the case across the board. The Tacoma went too far up market in my opinion. The GM twins, while cheaper, are more expensive than the S-10 was and I haven't read very many good things about them, the Frontier got bigger and more expensive. I could go on. And then there's Ford who's still builds the '85 Ranger.

I still believe that Toyota could be selling the old Tacoma along side the new one and sell all they could make. That was a good truck and the price was right. Not to mention they last for pretty much ever.

andy
09-15-2010, 05:01 AM
i would kill for this

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=384&d=1263580051

Grot
09-15-2010, 05:32 AM
Kinda off topic, but as mike stated ford is still using an old design, so old that the 2010 ranger was the first to have factory disc brakes.

And they only added them now because federal law states that they had to.

85gtsblackman
09-16-2010, 04:34 AM
Toyota needs a cheaper truck. They took the Tacoma too far up market at last model change. In my opinion, they should have kept the building the old, cheap model along with the new one. It could have been Tacoma Classic or something. Mini pickups used to be an entry level vehicle for a lot of folks. If one of the manufacturers would set up and build one again they could probably make some cash and move a lot of trucks.

you know Mike I was just thinking that & had a conversation with Joe about it the other day.
my dad has a little Nissan hardbody minitruck (has the KA24DE in it) & people are always asking him when he goes somewhere if it's for sale.
there's a definite market for minitrucks out there esp in texas but i really miss that part of the pickup market.

hence why i have a 87 toyota truck, small, good on gas, does the work of a truck, but i can drive it like its a car.

plus mini trucks just look cool

the only people that had half a brain on this to this date is ford and gm, they still make mini trucks

SweetGTS
09-19-2010, 08:36 AM
So this concept is still on? because I saw that pic like 3 years ago.