PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

NAILZ
09-08-2010, 10:39 PM
My name is NAILZ, and I'm a new member here as of today. Firstly, I found CelicaTech as I was paroozing the web for wiring diagrams, in hopes to fix my horn, which conveniently stopped working the month my tabs are due. I cannot pass an inspection without a functional horn, and instead of paying an enormous amount to a mechanic, for something that may actually be very simple, I decided to try to fix it myself.

A few things about me, I drive a 92 Celica GT, that I bought 2 years ago. I've never owned a Toyota, but always wanted to, and to my delight, its been a pleasure to drive. I'm 32, work in sales, and live in the Kansas City area.

Now, back to my issue. I know my horn(s) work, because I ran a wire from my battery, directly to them, and they both "honked" when I touched them. I obviously started at the fuses, they are fine. As some may know, the relay is also shared with the hazards, which work fine. Today, I removed the horn bumper from the steering wheel, and was unable to see any loose connections. I can't imagine, ONE little wire is pinched somewhere, as all the wiring seems to be in bundles, and everything else electronically works fine on my car. So, that leads me to believe it is the connection, on either end of the horn, which I'm having trouble locating. Nonetheless, my only other option is to install a "button", and wire it up directly myself...

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

In closing, I'm very happy I found this site, and plan to be an active member in the future to come. I will also work on getting some photos of my car to post.

Bless up!

NAILZ

Siyx
09-08-2010, 11:00 PM
welcome to the forum. Check for mice chewed wires ... not the first time it would have happened.

NAILZ
09-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Good point, but almost impossible to do, given how much of the wiring is unaccessable, and the room to work.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Welcome!

Yes it is quite tight trying to do anything under the dash.

Check that horn relay. I checked my wiring diagram manual just now and the horn relay is just for the horn. The horn and the hazards share a fuse, but according to the factory diagram, the relay has nothing to do with the hazards. That might be your problem. Worth checking any way.

NAILZ
09-09-2010, 01:05 AM
ok thanks Mike. I will do that.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-09-2010, 01:39 AM
I'd scan the diagram in for you but I don't have my scanner here with me. It's probably the simplest circuit on the car. According to the wiring diagram (my manual is for 1992 but this should pretty much apply to any 5th gen), there is a white wire coming from the fuse to one side of the relay. On the other side there should be a green wire going to the horn switch and on the other relay pin ther should be a green wire with a red stripe going to the horns.

I had an old Elcamino years ago that had the horn relay go out. It kills the whole horn. Check it out an let me know.

NAILZ
09-09-2010, 01:46 AM
awesome, thanks for the knowledge, i will definitely check that out.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-09-2010, 01:49 AM
No problem!