PDA

View Full Version : Snoopy Da Rolla

85gtsblackman
09-07-2010, 01:48 AM
1st off the story behind this car is, my friend and i were looking for a small pickup or suv for 1000 or less that was a toyota, nissan or a mitsubishi mighty max. Long story short he ended up getting a minivan from his folks. Well my other friend is recently divorced (ex husband was cheating on her using drugs ect) and has no transportation other than a bicycle that shes been riding everywhere. so she saved up some money and wanted the same thing, a truck or small suv with decent gas milage for under a grand and little to no work needed.

well after 2 months of searching we almost got a 94 jeep cherokee with the 4.0 6 and 4wd, but the girl wouldnt come down from 900 dollars and the truck needed a bit of work (cheap brakes, blown shocks, needed body work, steered kinda funny, leaked oil) so i offered 500 to the who who said she would give me a call later in the day.

well i think she ended up selling it or trading it in. So while browsing craigslist i ran across a 88 toyota corolla for 600 dollars. Called the guy, talked to him, and arranged to look at it. Well longer story short, me and my friend ended up getting it for 420.

well it drove, ran lil rough but had a new battery, dizzy, fan, 2 new 13's on alloys even. Though it was interesting driving it 8 miles to my friends house with no brakes (they didnt work)

so after awhile i found the master cylinder was bad so i got it replaced for free (under warrenty from discount advance). This pas weekend i did this

Bled brakes
replaced fuel filter
cleaned the car with gumout (worked damn well)
advanced the timing
replaced the broken driver headlight.

so heres the new junkyard list
mid right a/c vent
pass rear door window (has a nice aluminum panel right now)
seat belt recepticals
dash
radio
fan, someone put a universal fan in place of the oem one which seems like it moves less air.
shocks, i think i saw a almost new set on a car in the junkyard
rear wiper arm, yes its a wagon
1 door arm rest
jack

engine needs new seals so it'll quit leaking oil
also needs belts

i just ordered the following
2 front rotors, after 20% off came to 35 bucks
front axxis metal master pads (cant beat 13 dollars shipped from rock auto)
fram extra guard air filter, again 10 bucks from rock auto with a 3 dollar rebate

dont worry im getting paid for all this, its kinda fun to cause the car is so simple. but dont worry i just mess with this car on saturday and the gts i mess with during the week.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

opps: heres the craigslist pics i saved

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/gracescar.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/gracescar2.jpg

85gtsblackman
09-11-2010, 09:41 PM
brakes are on, car stops ok, going to bleed the master on monday

kinda interesting the car came with solid rotors and the new ones were vented

speedo wanders if u get past 60, ill repair that later

it does sound awsome though with a rotted out muffler and no air filter lid, just the filter and its base (filter media is on top not on the sides)

Murgatroy
09-12-2010, 02:29 AM
Corolla Wagons suck.

85gtsblackman
09-12-2010, 06:20 AM
yeah they are awful, but it somehow grew on me real quick like, to the point of being possibly bought back by me in the spring

oh i skrewed up on the name, the car has been named snoopy (long story)

85gtsblackman
09-16-2010, 08:53 AM
well it made a 200+ mile round trip today with no issues

also i was dumb and forgot to bleed the master itself and adjust the rear drums, after me and keelen did those the car stops damn good

also got some ebay headlight bulbs for 4 dollars shipped that work very well, and has a very slight bluish tint to them but its kinda faint. stock wattage too, after that i replaced all the bulbs cept the front turns.(brake light went out so i did em all)

im going to go yarding this weekend though to grab more parts for it though

oh and i won a kyb gr2 for 16 dollars shipped, now i just need to get the other side, good thing theres a rolla in the cheap yard with a new suspension

85gtsblackman
09-24-2010, 10:16 PM
got a mint dash, all vents, and interior trim to go with it for 30

forgot the driver mudflap so ill go get it t'marra

now its down to needing shocks, a bigger fan, (the small fan is ok for now), a back window wiper motor and arm, a muffler( i have several) and a passenger seatbelt receptical (i think i have one in a box of parts)

then its pretty much done.

85gtsblackman
01-15-2011, 12:59 AM
so total of 150 later in parts we have...

LE tach cluster
Rear wiper motor
Rear wiper arm
Rear cargo shade
Rear door trim panel
Toyota truck seat belt recepticals,(the rolla ones desenergrade the truck ones dont)
Rear trunk carpet
Dash vents

Ta'marra ima try to install all this stuff and sunday im going to install the dash, pass front shock and see if i can get the ol' car to shine up.

Grot
01-15-2011, 01:01 AM
i thought you sold this thing.

85gtsblackman
01-15-2011, 01:04 AM
i did, im building it up for a close friend

though when ever she gets a new ride i get this one back

so i get to have fun building the thing, work at my own pace and i get paid for it, win

Im almost done though, it just needs the muffler welded on, a cv axle, a lil audio work, and trying to convince her to drop 280 coin on a weber 32/36 and thats all folks

85gtsblackman
01-18-2011, 12:19 AM
blown passenger shock replaced with brand new bilstein i found in the junkyard, new bilstein for 10 dollars ppl!
dash is in
seatbelts fixed
wiper motor and arm installed for rear
mud flap on
dash vents in

tried the tach guage cluster but i guess i gotta do some slight mods to it and i didnt have time to do