PDA

View Full Version : This seems odd

Neo315
09-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Hey Members,

I know I'm new here and this is my first post. But really lately I've just been working on getting to know my Celica. I bought a 1995 that has the 1.8L...boo. The seller originally told me that it had a 2.2 but I drove it and fell in love with it. Anyhow, I've been doing various things that well, just have to be done when purchasing a used car such as the oil changes, the working on getting new tires, etc. Today's task was to change the spark plugs and the wires on it.

So previous to doing so, I noticed there was like, this lack of...I want to say proper running. But it wasn't so bad that it would require anything immediate. Just a....I'm going to have to figure it out kind of thing. So I took the old spark plugs and wires out. The wires were some off brand, the plugs were NGR. All seemed okay other than a lot of carbon build up until I got to one of the plugs that was all black on the ceramic and everything. Was a good call for sure to change them out.

After doing this, I took it for a test drive with my roommate. Right away the engine started quicker, and following that, when I took it for a drive around the block, I noticed that the engine heated up quicker, it was sitting for about...8hrs or so I would like to say so it was completely cooled down, and the power seemed to be more fluid and controllable and everything. I just have to wonder if there was more to it, or if it's what happens with a well needed tune up.

Also do you think that the ability to shift better or more...accurately could a result of the engine working better? I don't really know how they could be related but it never hurts to ask.

punch
09-07-2010, 03:38 AM
what part of south fl u in... maybe i can help u a little bit

Grot
09-07-2010, 03:46 AM
The condition of the plugs has alot to do with the overall pep of the car. My truck needs them bad, but im just too lazy.

And honestly, id rather have the 1.8 than the 2.2 in the sixth gens.

Neo315
09-07-2010, 04:09 AM
Thank you for the offer Punch but I actually am currently in the process of moving up to the Bradenton/Sarasota/Tampa area of the state. But previous to that I was down in Margate and actually bought the Celica in Hollywood. Talked the guy down pretty good too. Private sellers are good for that.

And really Grot? I just got done with my run of Corollas and Camrys so what works and what doesn't with these are new to me. I definitely was glad to make the choice to go with a Gen 6 though. It seems to provide a lot of potential and I plan to keep it for a long long time. I just find it really impressive the difference that new wires and plugs will make if that is the case. I've always seen a difference. But Toyota's never really seem to stop impressing. :)

Grot
09-07-2010, 04:19 AM
There isnt that much difference in the power between the two engines, but the 1.8 is much more gas efficient.

Having the A series block also allows for some interesting swaps.

You have the possibility of droping in a Silver (or Black) top 4age, and if you can find one, the c60 6-speed trans out of a 7th gen gts can be modified to bolt up to your motor.

azn87
09-29-2010, 06:06 PM
actually if u want to check out 6gc.net and join that forum, the will tell u differ. im on there my self and love it because its a forum just for the 6th gen celica. people have did swaps and even strip the whole car down because they got bored at home. there is people who are very helpfull and knowledgeable about this chassis and motor

4thgenceli
09-29-2010, 07:27 PM
actually if u want to check out 6gc.net and join that forum, the will tell u differ. im on there my self and love it because its a forum just for the 6th gen celica. people have did swaps and even strip the whole car down because they got bored at home. there is people who are very helpfull and knowledgeable about this chassis and motor

You do know this is CELICAtech right?

I know there's many members here who can talk circles around some of the peeps at 6gc. There's at least 6 members (that I can name off the top of my head) that have stripped their cars and done swaps here too.

azn87
09-30-2010, 05:17 AM
just my 2 cents