PDA

View Full Version : NOT having a good weekend..Car got backed Into

Ads28
09-06-2010, 05:10 PM
WOW Can this weekend get any worse?..Wake up this morning and go outside to grab my cellphone from my car and what do I see...

SOMEONE HIT MY CAR:ar::cussing::cussing:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/Damage005.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/Damage003.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/Damage001.jpg

And ofcourse no note or anything why would they :zxflipoff:?..soo Pre much screwed, Called the cops all they did was give me an Incedent # did'nt even bother coming down to look at it..
Seriously like WTF..My nice pristine car has slowly gone down hill....Smashed driver fender years ago, someone key's my roof couple months ago..Now THIS..
Atleast the door still opens and locks fine, Window goes down no problem..so I can atleast still drive it. But ive been looking for a FENDER for years and havent found anything..How the hell am I gunna come up with an entire DOOR...Scrap yards around here SUCK ASS ..God I just wanna Kick a baby or something ..

Only good thing is its gettin close to winter so she can dissappear into the garage and out of my thoughts for a couple months...I have ZERO cash to fix this

Nitro_Alltrac
09-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Man, that sucks. I'm sorry about the luck you're having with the car.

Too bad you're not closer. There are doors and fenders here all day long.

85gtsblackman
09-06-2010, 08:04 PM
take the door panel off, make sure the window is up, push it out as best you can by hand, yes i know it wont all come out but may look a bit better.

sorry bout your car.

you may have to take a trip to the usa for parts, sucks your far away/broke theres a black st and a black gts in the "cheap" yard near the end of town.

Ads28
09-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I plan on taking the door panel off n tryin ma best to push it out so it doesnt look as bad..

And I defeintly hate you guys haha JK :) I wish there was celicas' in the scrap yards around here..

and yea being down on cash doesnt help, Nothing will happen this season thats for sure, way to low on funds but atleast its still drivable so thats a plus I guess..soo ill drive her for a lil while longer then park her all winter n try to save up some cash/ always be on lookout for parts..soo hopefully next summer I can make her pretty again..

85gtsblackman
09-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I plan on taking the door panel off n tryin ma best to push it out so it doesnt look as bad..

And I defeintly hate you guys haha JK :) I wish there was celicas' in the scrap yards around here..

and yea being down on cash doesnt help, Nothing will happen this season thats for sure, way to low on funds but atleast its still drivable so thats a plus I guess..soo ill drive her for a lil while longer then park her all winter n try to save up some cash/ always be on lookout for parts..soo hopefully next summer I can make her pretty again..

Only bad thing here lately are the junkyards in florida are almost as bad as a gf thats a tease and wont put out. You either cant call them or if you do get them they wont take the time to tell you if the car your looking for is in the yard. If they do have the vehicle you need, they dont know what parts are left on it. Oh and most old rwd toyota cars and trucks get exported to south america, mexico, ect so slim pickins it is.

Murgatroy
09-06-2010, 09:07 PM
That looks really similar to what Chaos did before I swapped her door out. Car backed into her as well.

The door is the easy part, the quarter is gonna take some work to pull back out and line up.

Ads28
09-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Yeah luckily the quarter panel didnt really get hit, Its slighty pushed it that I could really only notice by runnin my hand down the body line, The pictures make the quarter panel look worse then it is... Oh well off to the insurance company tomorro to see if its worth going threw them..Most likly not..

Murgatroy
09-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Once you put the new door on, you will be able to tell. Mine wasn't hit bad either, the door tool the brunt of it. But once I put the new door on, if you knew what you were looking for, you could really tell it.

Lonestag
09-07-2010, 01:40 AM
I wonder If I have a yard in onterio...
If I did, I'm sure I could hook you up with some really nice parts, but they wouldn't be the cheapest.

Ads28
09-07-2010, 04:16 AM
Have a yard here ? what ya mean ? u own a bunch of scrap yards?... well see what you can do, althou cheap is defienlty needed as money is next to non exsistant

NYTEPSYCE
09-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Sorry to see what the b*stard did to your baby. I would have been mad as hell. Again like other posts too bad you don't live around my area; we have a line of pull and pay yards. Maybe all of us could pool money together and send you a door!?

Lonestag
09-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I work for LKQ triplett, I don't own the yards, but I do know I have a couple of branches in canada. That means if I can find a nice door down here, I can get it up there for cheap.

The Captain
09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Come to a Dragon meet, go to pull-a-part. Problem solved.

grimmythereaper
09-07-2010, 04:13 PM
if u push out the dent with ur hand u may end up "oil caning" the door. get a small piece of 4x4 about 2 inchs long and a rubber mallet and bang the dent out. it should get most of the dent out if not all of it.

Ads28
09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Come to a Dragon meet, go to pull-a-part. Problem solved.

I've been planning to attend the last 2 meets, but it never works out for me..2 years ago it was snowing here and my car was off the road when the meet happened I do belive...this year i bought a truck so couldnt afford it, so Maybe next year Ill finally stop being a baby n drive ma ass there :)..

Got in touch with ma insurance company today, went down n had pictures taken at an auto body shop and all the fun stuff...Body guy was pre busy n not much help just took some pics asked some questions n sent me on my way..

So ill be getin a call from my insurance company about how they want to go about this...

Now i've never been in an accident b4, and im pre stupid when it comes to insurance and dont really understand how it all works...

I have a 500$ deductable ..which means im outta pocket 500$ for any repairs this much I know But where I get lost is the deaming it not cost effective to repair it and having to buy the car back from the insurance company or somethin the Body guy was talkin quickly about..

So say the repairs Cost 2000$ (They go by the Canadian Red Book Value not "Blue Book" here ) Red book value is 1500$ (Making up #'s here)..soo that would make it not worthy to repair cuz the cost is higher then the value of the car ?

Sooo does mean my insurance company would write my car off ? and I would have to Buy it back from them ? Or how does that work..and what Would I have to pay to buy it back ? the redbook value of the car ?

Or once this is all said and done can I just say thanks but no thanks Ill fix it myself and forget this all happened ? Or am I trapped into doing something now because I went and Informed my insurance company ?

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

I work for LKQ triplett, I don't own the yards, but I do know I have a couple of branches in canada. That means if I can find a nice door down here, I can get it up there for cheap.

Ahhh makes sense now :) ..Well we shall see what happens with the insurance company and what not and go from there..

Murgatroy
09-08-2010, 12:01 AM
If they total to the car (cost of repair is more than 75% of cost of car) they will give you the determined value of the car. Say it is $1500. That is low, it will be higher, but for argument I will use your number. So they give you $1500 for the car and call it 'totaled.'

They will then give you a buy back price. Say $200. You get the difference. $1200 cash and the car.

When my wife's Buick got totaled, they priced it as $4500. Buy back was $500. I pocketed $4k, bought a headlight for $35 and have been driving it since. Yeah, it is ugly, but there wasn't anything structurally wrong with it.

Blackcloud
09-08-2010, 02:49 AM
wow that sucks man... fill that thing with bondo!!

lol. no dont.. that would suck.. i do like the idea of trying to pop it out tho

Ads28
09-08-2010, 03:05 AM
Yeah def no bondo, If I dont go the insurance route, im definetly just gunna "pop" it back the best I can and drive it till I find a new door...

and Hmmm is it bad now that i want them to "total" my car, right now I'd gladly take a buy back and some cash, I need the cash more then i need to pay the 500$ deductable to get it fixed properly..

Any clue wat the "blue book" value is for our/ my Car 1990 GTS..Or if anyone can find out the Canadian Red Book Value as thats what we use here that would be sweet ?

Murgatroy
09-08-2010, 03:57 AM
Honestly, I am not sure if the damage is enough to total it. With a replacement door, a respray and some quarter work, it might be good. However, due to the age, they might.

The Buick needed a lot of work, but it was also a lot newer.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-09-2010, 01:48 AM
As far as your deductible goes, they'll deduct that amount from the check. So say they total it and, using your number, give you a settlement amount for the car of $1500, they'll give you that amount less your deductible or $1000. As far as the total threshold, it varies from company to company. When I worked for a dealer bodyshop, the US companies we dealt with would go as low as about 70% while some went all the way to 90%. On average, the threshold was 80%.

If you're interested in buying the car back, check and find out for sure how it works there. It varies here from state to state. In WV the rules are such that you don't automatically get the opportunity to buy the car back. You have to go to the insurance salvage auction and bid on it. I found that out the hard way about 15 years ago. It seems like most places though you can buy it back without having to do that but check and find out now so you don't have any nasty surprises later.:smile1:

Ads28
09-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Well got a call from the body shop today...saying that Insurance approved the repairs to my car

They said they couldnt find any door skins, or replacement parts so they need to reuse all the stock pieces
2100$ was there estimate to pull the door and quarter panel, minor body work to fix what can't be pulled, and to respray/blend the paint on the door and part of the rear quarter panel.. 24.5 hours of labour...so they'll need my car for an entire week

Tried to get a hold of my insurance guy but he never returned my call, so im goin to wait till I get a hold of him and ask some questions b4 I decide what to do..

Becuase to get it fixed and have one door and half my quarter panel freshly painted in my mind will look like shit, and I would rather get my entire car painted..I asked the bodyshop n they siad that would run me atleast 6000$ to do the entire car..

Nitro_Alltrac
09-11-2010, 03:57 AM
Unfortunately, you'll have to pick up the rest. The insurance company is only going to cover what was damaged.

$6000 is rather high to paint the rest of it though. I mean that should be a great job but too much for what the car's worth (on offense). That sounds like straight book time plus a hell of a lot of prep time. I'd shop that around.

Ads28
09-11-2010, 05:12 AM
yeah I figured I'd be pickin up the rest...but ive heard stories of ppl gettin their entire car repainted after a claim like mine cuz they know the body place or w.e and get them to quote the estimate of damages just below the max payout so they can get the insurance comp to pay for more work haha not that its not illegal or nothin haha...

But ya im defintly goin to shop around, I have a buddi that does it out of his garage and can prolly do the entire car for 2000$

Ads28
04-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Well unfortunetly not much has changed, car got parked for the winter and well out of sight out of mind.. But the weather has finally starting gettin better, hell its been "spring" for a while and yet we got 2 inches of snow yesterday , like wtf, So now its time to start giving some attention to ma neglected baby girl :) instead of her big brother GMC which has gotten all the love over the winter.
Took the door panel off n took a couple mins to pop out the dent, Its not pretty but hey what do u want with a hammer and a 2x4 haha
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/impreza28/IMG-20110422-00583.jpg

Lonestag
04-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Doesn't look too bad.