PDA

View Full Version : Nippon pistons & Ebay CT26 rebuild kit

FluffyNutts
09-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Well. I am rebuilding my engine and have to bore my block 20 over. I've read mixed reviews about Nippon pistons and planeed on going them, will this be fine for just an OEM rebuild? and I need to rebuild my turbo and found a shop that will do it for 100 bucks if I supply my own rebuild kit... The only kit I can find is on ebay which has the bearings and what not. Would those bearings be okay for a rebuild and I know the difference in Turbos when USA VS JDM is JDm has ceramic so you think the rebuild kit is either or? Thanks a lot.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-06-2010, 03:28 AM
I'm not sure on the pistons but the difference in turbo is in the exhaust side impeller wheel. It's ceramic instead of steel. The other parts like the seal and bearings should be the same.

FluffyNutts
09-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Thank you.

vip09
09-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I used the Nippon pistons in a friend's extreme budget MR2 rebuild. It worked just fine. I wouldn't really recommend it though.

FluffyNutts
09-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I used the Nippon pistons in a friend's extreme budget MR2 rebuild. It worked just fine. I wouldn't really recommend it though.

What issues did you notice that you would not recommend? I hear they are simply OEM cast. I just dont have the funds to get a set of forged.

Facime
09-06-2010, 09:34 PM
I used those piston in a 7M rebuild that was putting out 300+hp and they seemed ok at least for the short time I had that car after I rebuilt it. They should be fine for a stock OEM setup. I would shoot for better if you plan to crank up the boost a bit though.

Smaay
09-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Ebay parts = you get what you pay for. If you want it done right, get OEM pistons, they are not that expensive, and they have rings on them already (at least on the 7A they did) as for the turbo, find a used one or send to a real shop to rebuild. i actually have good results from this place http://www.mjmturbos.com/AAAmjm2ndpage.htm

Nitro_Alltrac
09-08-2010, 01:52 AM
You might check on Mahle pistons to see if they make them for the 3S as well. I can tell you that they are OEM in the North American made Toyota engines now. We used them at the WV plant in the ZZ, MZ, ZR and GR engines.

FluffyNutts
09-09-2010, 02:05 AM
You might check on Mahle pistons to see if they make them for the 3S as well. I can tell you that they are OEM in the North American made Toyota engines now. We used them at the WV plant in the ZZ, MZ, ZR and GR engines.

They do make them, but want around 500 hundred.

vip09
09-09-2010, 05:05 AM
From what I could tell from looking at them, they looked exactly like the OEM pistons. I think they are made in Japan.

The thing that worries me is how critical that part is, and the fact that it's sold mainly on eBay and it's not OEM or a trusted aftermarket company. But like I said, they worked fine while my friend owned the car. He ended up selling it about 2k miles after the install, so I don't know how they did after that.