PDA

View Full Version : Bass for my wife's BMW now MY BMW

david in germany
09-03-2010, 07:48 AM
So, my wife likes it loud like me. So I did something special for her, PSI custom built Platform 1 10" sub woofer designed to take about 800-1000w rms, and a matching 12" passive radiator. Dear god guys, 1 10" on a Digital Designs SS1a (rated at about 850rms at 1 ohm)... GETS FREAKISHLY LOUD! The bass is clear, and precise but did i mention LOUD?
The car flexes like a pair of 15's are beating it up and will fluff my shirt standing outside the drivers door!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YumfXMFGdz0

4thgenceli
09-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Dood that is BAD ass.

How much was that setup? What's the size on that box? I'm looking to get some bass back in my car (or truck). I'm trying not to loose my cargo space, but want some bass that'll give you a massage while driving.

david in germany
09-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Dood that is BAD ass.

How much was that setup? What's the size on that box? I'm looking to get some bass back in my car (or truck). I'm trying not to loose my cargo space, but want some bass that'll give you a massage while driving.
Box total internal volume is 1.13f3^. The passive radiator is basically a port but without wasting enclosure volume. I can tune the Radiator by adding weight (washers) on the back side of it (it has a 5" bolt attached with nuts to lock the weight in place)

If you want to add a little thump, this is not for you. If you want to add A LOT of thump, Oh yes! Small price? No.. Sub and radiator were $400 before shipping added in. Is it worth it? Damn straight!
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3080
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3081
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3080
http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/picture.php?albumid=334&pictureid=3099

4thgenceli
09-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Damn..that's not bad at all.

alltracNyx
09-03-2010, 07:12 PM
So, my wife likes it loud like me. So I did something special for her...

Guess my mind was in the wrong place when I started reading this thread :P

But nice set up :D

mar_phi6
09-05-2010, 08:03 PM
and this is a Digital Design Sub?

david in germany
09-05-2010, 08:08 PM
No, this is a custom built PSI sub with matching Passive radiator.

mar_phi6
09-05-2010, 09:03 PM
oh okay yeah I dont what my next upgrade will be a pair of 12s or 15's

Murgatroy
09-06-2010, 01:10 AM
WTF are you listening to?

david in germany
09-06-2010, 10:06 AM
It's called "let my beat pound"
Shoot me your email and I can send it to you. it is a chopped and screwed version.

david in germany
09-06-2010, 10:06 AM
It's called "let my beat pound"
Shoot me your email and I can send it to you. it is a chopped and screwed version.

Eric Barrera
09-08-2010, 05:16 AM
Good song, it hits hard on reg speakers. What head unit r u using?

Nvm, just saw ur vid again.

Shadowlife25
09-13-2010, 03:44 AM
DiG....

I love you.

That is all/

ravensguildassasin
09-13-2010, 04:19 AM
im still thinking of adding a sub to my system, i have a type R 10 here to use but im lazy.

david in germany
09-13-2010, 03:15 PM
im still thinking of adding a sub to my system, i have a type R 10 here to use but im lazy.
The alpine subs have a bad problem with the surround separating from the cone. Keep an eye on where they meet and if the look like they are coming apart, glue them with a good CA glue ASAP.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

DiG....

I love you.

That is all/
Still have a mint SD sub waiting for you. :)

Shadowlife25
10-16-2013, 12:40 AM
TTT because this thread is sweet.

Carry on.

MCcelica
10-16-2013, 05:26 AM
Wonder what that'd sound like in my 7th gen. Lol has to be ridic'.

david in germany
10-16-2013, 08:27 AM
This is what I have in the BMW at the moment.

david in germany
10-16-2013, 08:28 AM
[/COLOR]
Still have a mint SD sub waiting for you. :)[/QUOTE]

Still have it waiting. ;)

Shadowlife25
10-16-2013, 03:24 PM
[/COLOR]
Still have a mint SD sub waiting for you. :)

Still have it waiting. ;)[/QUOTE]

You sneaky monkey! :D
Hit me up via PM and we'll figure it out. My sub has been suffering from a damaged VC for a while now anyhow. Does ok until I ask it to actually do anything. lol

The Captain
10-17-2013, 03:48 PM
DiG satisfies with a 10 incher. Win!

Shadowlife25
10-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Indeed. :D
Of note, I have never seen car audio system that utilized a passive radiator before. I think it's pretty great.
The only time I really got to experience a setup like this fist hand was about 20 years ago in a home theater setup. Klipsh 10" main drivers with a tweeter in the front of the cabinet and a 12" passive radiator in the rear. It was pretty amazing how clear those things sounded.

david in germany
10-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Mario, back in the day Cerwin Vega had a full range box with 2 8" that used PRs instead of ports. This was early 90s. My buddy had one of them and it was incredible as well.

Shadowlife25
10-18-2013, 04:26 AM
I really like the idea and implementation. The only thing that sucks is that there is no room for something like that in the AllTrac. Full sized spare is something I would very much like to keep even though we do have AAA for our tow service. Most times a spare is fine in a pinch to at least get you home late night or to get you to a tire shop during business hours.
Coupled with the utter lack of space in the hatch area, it severely limits my options in the arena of sub placement. So for the last years now, it has just been in a prefab box wedged in the space between the back of the car and the spare tire off to the side.
Ideally, I would love to have a setup where my rear panels were flushed out and brought all the way to the rear with subs to the side and amps/dsp on the other. This would allow me to keep my spare as is and still have a little space for groceries. Sadly, I do not have the fabrication experience with wood and fiberglass to make this happen.
I am also considering moving the amplifier back under the seat to the stock system ten location. Fabricating a bracket setup wouldn't be too difficult. I could just do that up in CAD and see about having a local guy machine it up. It would however, add a significant cost so perhaps just letting it sit there or using some strapping would do fine as well. Just the OCD in me that wants things pretty. lol
Anyhow, don't mind my ramblings. I am just thinking out loud, so to speak. :)

Again, very cool work!

underscore
10-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Why bother with a spare in an AWD car? Short of using it to get the car on a trailer I can't imagine it would be good for anything.

Shadowlife25
10-19-2013, 03:23 AM
Well, I have never had more than one tire blow out or have a flat at once, so the spare is a very functional consideration for me. I have had to change the tire a couple times for Jamie over the years. It was much less hassle and loss of time than having to call a tow service.
Though I do see your point. And we do have AAA so it would work out ok. I do very much like having space in the trunk for stowing groceries and having my tools. :)