PDA

View Full Version : Hi beams wont stay on 6th gen

Celicalover
09-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Hey guys, to fill you in a bit a bought a 94 celica and the hi beams wont light unless I pull and hold the lever towards me.
:edit Pushing the lever forward towards the dash doesnt light the hi beams either.
I thought this could be a bulb replacement or relay replacement issue. Naturally I looked into buying new bulbs, swaped them out, yet the problem still remained.

Ive swapped the lo beams out with some hi grade halogen and even hi grade xenon but the bulbs are still too weak during night time driving. I dont like the idea of driving around with my hi beams on all the time. I not looking forward to a ticket either.
The plan is to get a convertion kit from xentec like the one pictured here from ebay. http://cgi.ebay.ca/Xentec-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H3-H7-880-893-9005-9006-90-/140442447665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Im off to get the relay, thanks in advance for any help or suggestions :)

93celicaconv
09-01-2010, 11:50 PM
On a 93 Celica (5th Gen, not a 6th Gen like your 94), pulling the stalk lever towards you is one way of getting the high beams to light. The stalk lever has a spring return when you pull it towards you.

Pushing the stalk lever away from you (towards the instrument cluster) is the other way to get the high beams to light. This position is not a spring return (you need to pull the handle towards the center position to get the low beams back on again). Have you tried this way of using that handle?

PS: If pulling the stalk lever towards you gets the high beams to light, then the headlight relays and wiring are all fine. If pushing the stalk lever towards the dash does not get the high beams to light, then there is a problem with the switch involved with the stalk lever. That might be a relatively expensive replacement, unless you have a salvage yard nearby.

Celicalover
09-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I should rephrase, the only way to get the hi beams to turn on it to hold the lever towards me. Flipping the lever towards the dash clicks into place, however the bulbs dont even turn on. Buying and installing a new lever sounds somewhat expencive, not to mention time consuming.
Thanks for the prompt reply, 93celicaconv. I was just making myself a bite to eat. You just saved me a trip to the atuo store and the return trip to get a refund lol.

Edit: Ive slowly removed parts of the dash to get acess to the head light lever. I cant find how to release the cover without tearing or breaking the housing. Is there a certain way to do this ... nothing can be found in the manual for support. All the 6th gen stuff I need is missing.
Im replacing the dash bulbs in the meantime though :)

93celicaconv
09-02-2010, 02:56 AM
Having the stalk lever in the middle allows the low beams to work normally though, right?

Isn't your light stalk lever attached to your steering column? On 5th Gen's, it is. On 5th Gens, you need to remove the covers from the steering column, then the air bag from the center of the steering wheel, then the steering wheel itself. Once all that is off, you will see a multi-function setup that includes both the lighting stalk lever (with turn signals) and the windshield wiper control stalk lever, and (if equipped) the cruise control paddle). This entire mechanism would need to be removed and replaced on a 5th Gen. You wouldn't have to remove any parts from the dashboard itself to get at this switch.

So you can see, it is involved. I would suggest you consider finding a donor car in a salvage yard to get this switch from, if it is similar to the 5th Gen setup, to help save costs. I haven't heard much of any problems from 5th Gens on the lighting switch, so I would think most 6th Gens would tend to have good mechanisms in them, even if they are out in a salvage yard.

Celicalover
09-02-2010, 03:12 AM
Having the stalk lever in the middle allows the low beams to work normally though, right?

Isn't your light stalk lever attached to your steering column? On 5th Gen's, it is. On 5th Gens, you need to remove the covers from the steering column, then the air bag from the center of the steering wheel, then the steering wheel itself. Once all that is off, you will see a multi-function setup that includes both the lighting stalk lever (with turn signals) and the windshield wiper control stalk lever, and (if equipped) the cruise control paddle). This entire mechanism would need to be removed and replaced on a 5th Gen. You wouldn't have to remove any parts from the dashboard itself to get at this switch.

So you can see, it is involved. I would suggest you consider finding a donor car in a salvage yard to get this switch from, if it is similar to the 5th Gen setup, to help save costs. I haven't heard much of any problems from 5th Gens on the lighting switch, so I would think most 6th Gens would tend to have good mechanisms in them, even if they are out in a salvage yard.
Yeah.
Hi beams just dont want to turn on unless I hold the lever towards me.
Might as well find the parts, before I take it apart. Just thought maybe if I could see whats going o,n maybe it could be mended. Honestly though, everything appears to be working great otherwise. Great tips, many thanks.

METDeath
09-02-2010, 04:17 AM
You will probably have to remove the steering wheel. I know this is true for the 5th gens.

alltracNyx
09-02-2010, 04:50 AM
Go to the salvage yard first and try to find a replacement. This way, you'll get an idea of how the steering column covers come off.

There are screws underneath the column holding the bottom piece of plastic in place (probably three), and quite possibly two more screws on the steering column, behind the steering wheel itself, one on each side. Just turn the wheel all the way around to see the steering column plastic behind it. I know some Toyotas have the second set of screws that I am talking about, but definitely not all of them do. Other than this, some plastic clips hold the top and bottom pieces of the steering column together.

If you break it on the donor car in the salvage yard, at least you're not paying for the broken plastic parts, and you get an idea of how to take it apart without breaking your own car.

Good luck and let us know how it goes :)

Celicalover
09-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks man.

Whats a fair price for a used steering column?

bloodMoney
09-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks man.

lol he's a she :)

Why are you going to buy a whole column? is something else messed up with yours?

alltracNyx
09-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I'm a girl, thanks for pointing that out Chris :P

The price you'll pay depends on the salvage yard, some are expensive, some are not. But I have the same question, why would you want a whole new steering column, rather than just the part that you need? Unless something else is broken?

93celicaconv
09-03-2010, 12:58 AM
You would be talking somewhere between $50 to $250, you pick up.

I would think if you get the switch we think you need, it will cost you $5-$10. And removing the switch from the steering column would be far, far easier than replacing the entire steering column. Don't replace the entire steering column just to replace a headlight switch. That would almost be like replacing the engine just to change spark plugs & wires.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-03-2010, 03:00 AM
Definitely try to get a good used one. I had the one replaced on the son's 93 ST and they got a new one from Toyota. If I remember right it was around $200. One reason it is so expensive new is that it is a massive combo switch. It has the dimmer switch, turn signal switch, headlight switch and if I remember right, the clock spring for the air bag comes with it I think. It was a crap load of stuff.

Celicalover
09-03-2010, 05:20 AM
lol he's a she :)

Why are you going to buy a whole column? is something else messed up with yours?

My apologies to you, alltracNyx.

She didnt write in pink, how was I supposed to know lol
I actually meant to write the part from the column. It made sense in my head anyway.
$5-$10 sounds like a win win. I cant figure why else the hi beams wont stay on their own. Temperamental infernal machinery.

alltracNyx
09-03-2010, 07:38 PM
^No problem..I tend to stay anonymous, except with the people on here who know me personally. As for writing in pink, no thanks lol.

Celicalover
09-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Well today I got the new (used) hi beam combo switch for my rear wiper, airbag, 94-95 celica. I was told by a wrecker that only that specific switch would work correctly. According to his thousand dollar parts books. Anyways so $75 later and its in. To my amazment the hi beams still won't stay on, they only come on when I pull the switch and hold the switch towards me. Any guesses?

Thanks so much for re reading this tough one over.

Nitro_Alltrac
09-12-2010, 03:11 AM
Use a meter and check the continuity of both switches when the switch is in the high beam position. It's possible you might have two bad switches. It's worth checking before you jump into more trouble shooting. It will give you some place to start.

93celicaconv
09-12-2010, 04:36 AM
^^ on Nitro_Alltrac's suggestion. I also think it is highly likely you just got a bad switch from the salvage yard (although I haven't heard of too many of these switches having problems, but I'm more of a 5th Gen person).

Nitro_Alltrac
09-12-2010, 03:07 PM
It would be odd but it's possible. It would suck to go through everything and then find out you've got a bad switch.

Celicalover
09-13-2010, 06:52 AM
Yeah tomorrow I plan on hitting it up with the multimeter. Cant there be any other logical problems than two broken switches? Ive been told it cant be a relay, but isnt it possible? Ive checked the fuses under the hood for the lights and they check out alright though.

EDIT: Ive checked the switch for continuity. Only two pins showing a reading. A photo may have been better than my illustration, but this took less time and got the point across. I hope.

|||||||||
||||||||
^^

Nitro_Alltrac
09-13-2010, 10:56 PM
I'll check my wiring diagram manual afterwhile and see what it shows. It's for the 92 5t gen but the circuit should be similar.

sodap0p
09-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Hi's and Low's use the same fuses and relay, they cant be the problem. I'm thinking its the ground for the high's from the combination switch or the switch itself(could be a second bad one(doubtful, but its pretty much all that can give those symptoms)).

Put some HIDS in, you wont need Hi-beams:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/101/ has affordable and reliable HID kits.

Celicalover
09-14-2010, 05:19 AM
Hi's and Low's use the same fuses and relay, they cant be the problem. I'm thinking its the ground for the high's from the combination switch or the switch itself(could be a second bad one(doubtful, but its pretty much all that can give those symptoms)).

Put some HIDS in, you wont need Hi-beams:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/101/ has affordable and reliable HID kits.

It could be a ground. Im not sure how I would even check for that though, or even correct it. Its really frustrating at this point, mostly cause I have installed an HID kit very similar to the one you linked me to. Even replaced the lo beams to Xenon 8000k bulbs. Still difficult to see on the road at night. Holding the switch down is all I can do. :fire:

sodap0p
09-14-2010, 06:18 AM
my mistake, actually I lied, if its a Canadian model it does have a fuse for each lamp, but in your case it cant be the fuse because the lights work when pulling the comb. switch towards you. what country is it from? I have different diagrams for US and Canada.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

the hi beams on the Canadian model actually do run off a different relay called Daytime Running light relay no.2

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

it has to be the switch, high and flash are on the same circuits.

Celicalover
09-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Its Canadian. Arent they technically imported from Japan for the Canadian market though?

sodap0p
09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
yeah, but the Canadian models had Daytime running lights, they used the highbeams at a much lower wattage. The US models didnt have that.

I would suspect its something to do with a previous owner wanting to remove the DTRL.

I think the JDM models are different then both the US and Canadian ones.

My 205 is really different, when I select my parking lights; instead of my front marker lights coming on, my headlights come on very low(dim) light from the headlights. I also have gold emblems on my 205, which I've never seen on another 205...ever.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s327/Dragoinflies/gen6%20diagrams/gen6headlight.jpg

Celicalover
09-14-2010, 08:58 PM
yeah, but the Canadian models had Daytime running lights, they used the highbeams at a much lower wattage. The US models didnt have that.

I would suspect its something to do with a previous owner wanting to remove the DTRL.

I think the JDM models are different then both the US and Canadian ones.

My 205 is really different, when I select my parking lights; instead of my front marker lights coming on, my headlights come on very low(dim) light from the headlights. I also have gold emblems on my 205, which I've never seen on another 205...ever.

I have day time running lights. They work just fine. So thats something I accidentally left out. Youre right about that.
I wonder if theres a way to either remove DTRL or somehow enable the lights to run at a higher wattage. At night the road is hardly visible, even now that Ive installed high quality after market bulbs. 35w isnt a lot though.