PDA

View Full Version : Tire jumping issues

Naemion
08-31-2010, 07:22 PM
After my recent engine rebuild, I have been having issues with my tires jumping when I try to take off from a stop. I only put on a CAI, header, 2.25" straight exhaust and deleted the EGR system. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference...but I can't keep my tires from bouncing on takeoff. I have D2 coilovers on the front and they aren't blown so I know that isn't the issue.

Facime
08-31-2010, 07:50 PM
did you replace your engine/trans mounts? Are any of them damaged/worn? Make sure all the mount bolts are stil there and nothing vibrated loose.

Naemion
08-31-2010, 11:56 PM
Nope, those were all reinstalled and are fine. The car is jumping like the tires want to spin, but they don't.

Ads28
09-01-2010, 12:23 AM
How slow are you letting your clutch out ?, Try letting it out retartedly slow, see if you still get that shutter..maybe its ur clutch slipping / shuddering, not the tires hopping ? Only time I can get my tires to bounce is if I'm really tryin and rev n dump it like a jackasss :) haha which is fun sometimes..

Grot
09-01-2010, 01:02 AM
could this be caused by your coilovers being too hard?

Facime
09-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Typical wheel hop can be caused by all kinds of factors. Tire pressure, spring rate, shock rebound, axle wrap, bushing wear, alignment (especially on a FWD car), bad geometry from improperly lowered suspension (do you get bump steer as well)...I would start by changing your spring rates.

on the clutch subject:
I had an old Ford F250 4x4 that the clutch had gotten saturated in oil from a bad rear main and it would chatter like nobody's business if I didnt let the clutch out just right...

during motor install, did you replace the clutch? did you clean the flywheel with brakleen before installing?

KoreanJoey
09-01-2010, 01:30 AM
your rear shocks blown?

Facime
09-01-2010, 04:35 AM
your rear shocks blown?

Blown rear shocks would have VERY LITTLE to do with wheel hop on a front wheel drive car :loser:

:hehe:

joe's gt
09-01-2010, 05:14 AM
Blown rear shocks would have VERY LITTLE to do with wheel hop on a front wheel drive car :loser:

:hehe:

wrong

Facime
09-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Wrong? Thats it? No explanation of the reasoning behind this?

ok...please explain how blown rear shock will affect wheel hop in any significant way. Im dying to hear the logic.

KoreanJoey
09-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Weight transfers from the front to the rear of the car. That's why FWD drag cars run higher spring rates in the back in order to prevent weight transfer to keep weight over the drive wheels during launches.

PS: you need to know SOMETHING about vehicle dynamics before you state something as fact.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Have you checked your lower control arm bushings? If they're bad the cars alignment will try to toe in under acceleration causing some weird feelings under launches.

Facime
09-01-2010, 06:57 AM
I stated nothing as fact. I was clear to use the term "VERY LITTLE". Of course weight transfer is important for a drag launch on soft sided drag tires. In a street application its far less relevant in the discussion of wheel hop.

However, If you want to suggest he change his rear shocks to cure his problem go ahead, but dont be surprised when it doesnt help.

KoreanJoey
09-01-2010, 07:20 AM
I would be surprised if they were THAT bad. But, with a stupid stiff front suspension and blown rear suspension, it isn't out of the realm of reason. Remember, his fronts are NOT stock.

Naemion
09-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Hehe^ that might be it. I'll soften up my fronts til I can replace the rear.