PDA

View Full Version : has any one tried...

Farlow1
08-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Using the rear knuckle from a 1990 lexus es250 for their rear disk conversion? I know the caliper and rotor are the same but I didn't get a chance to compare the knuckle.

banshee 101
08-30-2010, 05:34 PM
if im not mistaken the knuckles are different and would need some modification to work

Farlow1
08-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Freaking figures... Lol. Thanks for the input. I'm kinda limited on my options for donor parts where I live so I was trying to weigh my options. I'm going to go to the u pull it this upcoming weekend and experiment some.

Galcobar
08-31-2010, 08:38 AM
You don't need to change the knuckle to swap between drum and disc. The differences all lie in items which mount to the knuckle, via the hub, or on the hub itself..

93celicaconv
08-31-2010, 12:28 PM
There are a couple of Celica's in a salvage yard near me that have the rear disc brake setup. Given the amount of work involved with removing everything, I'm not offering to take all the parts out (emergency brake cables, hydraulic proportioning valves, to name a few of the additional parts needed besides the mounts, calipers, rotors, etc.). But perhaps you can call some local salvage yards and see how much $ it would cost for them to take the stuff off for you.

Just out of curiosity, what are you expecting to benefit from in considering a conversion from drum to disc rear brakes?

Farlow1
08-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Well there are 4 junk yards around my area. And NONE have any celicas with rear disks... Other wise I would have just grabbed parts from them and would have been done with it.

As far as a gain with the conversion goes, my drums in back are shot and need replacing any ways. Plus a got a crazy good deal from a fellow member on here for new disks and rotors. And I figured it would look a lot better behind my rims than the drums would.

Farlow1
09-07-2010, 06:27 PM
well i went to the junk yard and actually took the time to compare them, and as stated above, they do not work. so i guess this is dead...

93celicaconv
09-08-2010, 04:13 AM
Too bad you don't have our salvage yard down by you - another Celica just got put in there, with rear discs. Even if I did remove the knuckles & all (that would take a long time with limited tools that one could take out to a salvage yard), you would have the problem with getting the right emergency brake cables and all. If you are up in Wisconsin some time, I can show you where you can get a few (however, cars in this salvage yard don't last very long before they are crushed).

Farlow1
09-20-2010, 02:32 PM
ah well dang, i wish... the brake copnversion got put on hold any ways now. I need a new motor, my oil pump died on me and i saw a bunch of metal shavings in my oil pan when we went to replace it... so its 3S swap time... lol