PDA

View Full Version : Need help ASAP-Alternator Output Wire

jay4prez
08-30-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm in a bit of a crunch, finally got my car up and running last night after doing a timing belt.

Got the car running and I'm cleaning it out, so I see smoke coming from the engine bay.

And the battery light came on, I immediately cut the power, run around to the front end and I see the output wire (the one that screws into the alternator frayed, completely burnt off by the clip.

Any idea what caused this?

What I'm really lookin for is what gauge wire this is and its routing so I can replace the entire wire.

A list of tools and etc would also be helpful (not asking to be spoonfed) just a point in the right direction to get this girl up and running.

Thanks in advance.

If theres any other info such as what I had running.

Radio, headlights, had the car in neutral, I think the internal lights were also on (by the way its a convertible 5sfe).

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
sounds like a ground issue...

jay4prez
08-30-2010, 04:24 PM
got ya, so lets say its a ground issue, what I'll do is according to the manual I'll find all ground points and clean them up. however, the power wire, which I believe goes to the battery needs to be replaced as it is completely burnt up.

Biggest issue is even after cleaning the grounds I can't check anything as I wont be able to keep the car running for long without power from the alt.

Alternator Wire

1. Need to know what gauge, as I wana replace it with a higher/lower gauge wire. (believe its lower)

2. Need to know routing and possible removal.

Did a bit of research, wire runs from alt +b to j/b#2 (engine fuse box) to 40amp fusable link AM1 which goes into the 100amp alternator fuse.

also has switch from regulator on alternator which goes to f/l AM1.

ChrisD
08-30-2010, 07:22 PM
If it was frayed and a strand or two was shorting, too much current going through a small strand could cause it to heat up and burn. That definitely needs a solid, clean connection.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

It goes through the engine harness past the intake manifold all the way around to the fuse box.

Lower gauge, yes. I.E. a 2 gauge wire is thicker than a 14 gauge.

jay4prez
08-30-2010, 08:26 PM
If it was frayed and a strand or two was shorting, too much current going through a small strand could cause it to heat up and burn. That definitely needs a solid, clean connection.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

It goes through the engine harness past the intake manifold all the way around to the fuse box.

Lower gauge, yes. I.E. a 2 gauge wire is thicker than a 14 gauge.

Got ya, so would you happen to know what gauge wire? I checked all the local auto parts store and the lowest gauge I was able to find was 10, and I'm a bit wary of putting that in there and having it burn up.

4thgenceli
08-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Goto a retail outlet (Best Buy, etc). They sell the big ass wires there. Myself, I have 1/0 running into the engine for the B+, then 4 gauge for the starter/fuse box and eventually for the alternator (when I feel like doing it). I'm running 1/0 grounds in the engine bay as well.

I bought all my wire and connections here.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/index.cfm

Great quality, o2 free wires, and they look purty!

aye87
08-30-2010, 10:28 PM
audio video installer shop sell good stuff for half the price and you dont need to pay shipping and tax

alltracNyx
08-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Yeah, any of the audio shops should be able to sell the wire to you by the foot, and 8 gauge would be decent, but 4 gauge would be better.

jay4prez
08-31-2010, 02:11 AM
I got it running for now, im gonna replace the wire in its entirety this weekend, its 2 8 gauge wires in parallel when I pulled the insulation off its hidden right above the timing belt cover in that plastic shield.

I called home depot, what I will do, I think I'll go a little lower and get 6g just incase and run them in parallel.

Also seems I've got quie a bit of corrosion due to what happened, so I'll eventually have to pull the alternator cover and clean it out a bit to make sure its getting good clean contact.

I hope my troubles helps someone out in the future if you guys ever need it.

Thanks to all those who pointed me in the right direction.