PDA

View Full Version : so...

Blackcloud
12-07-2004, 02:15 AM
well my parents are talking me into letting them help me make a down payment on a new car and helping with monthly payments.

so im pondering getting a 7th gen. *and the fact that my woman would kill for one and id prob get even more ass from having it adds to me wanting one :hihi:*

so from thoes that own one, what would you suggest i look out for when/if getting one?

Spanks!

muxon
12-07-2004, 08:05 AM
If you're looking at new, they have a re-designed front bumper which I think looks stupid. Although the action package kit has been re-designed and looks okay.

Get a 5 speed GT or a 6 speed GT-S. I hear the autos are worthless.

If you're looking used GT-S, go for a 2000/2001 or a 2003. The 2002 models had a lowered rev limit which can only be reversed by a pretty thourough ECU/knock sensor swap. 2003 is probably the best in terms of bug fixes and styling and stuff... revised shift gates, re-designed gauge face, original body, 8,300 RPM limiter, etc.

Umm... yeah.

Stock Yokohama tires were pretty soft and wear quick. I remember birdf00 wore his out in like 20k miles not even running them hard.

S2000 antenna swap pwnz jo0.

Lift the valves variably and smile.

Haven't you seen this stuff like 50 times over the years? :P

Blackcloud
12-07-2004, 08:18 AM
i never paid attn to the 7th gen stuff due to not being able to afford one.

but i was looking at prob a 2000 due to $$ issues

DrPaine
12-07-2004, 05:03 PM
if 2000, then def go gts... no doubt about it... manual gts. If u can find action package, great.. or go private party and finance through your bank, you'll save money there...

Blackcloud
12-07-2004, 06:37 PM
i would love to find a white gts 6speed in teh action package..

TRDmkII
12-07-2004, 10:58 PM
no offense but if you went with a gts, i'd go with a newer one like 02, there have been a lot of issues with 00 and 01 gts having oil starvation issues when ran hard...and the ever threat of an accidental downshift. NO wak on any current 7th gen owners, but i don't see the reliability of the previous generations...and the gts is just a gt with lift and rear disk brakes...personally i would try and go with maybe a 6th gen gts....not as much power but looks nice and has the reliability 99....in the end its up to you but get it inspected well before you buy.

Blackcloud
12-07-2004, 11:32 PM
well my woman has a 6th gen gts.. and i really want something newer.. i would like to get a 04 or so but once again $$$ is a big issue

DrPaine
12-08-2004, 04:06 AM
Yea, well, u could get a gt like me, reliable as hell and has the looks, just not teh speed.

TRDmkII
12-08-2004, 05:05 AM
Yea, well, u could get a gt like me, reliable as hell and has the looks, just not teh speed.

exactly, then turbo the gt and smoke the gts, but what i want to know is, has anyone put the rear brakes from a gts on a gt, that would complete the car..

DrPaine
12-08-2004, 05:48 AM
exactly, then turbo the gt and smoke the gts, but what i want to know is, has anyone put the rear brakes from a gts on a gt, that would complete the car..

IM workin on it bro, I have the brake lines from the gts, i just need my aem big brake kit for the rear of a gts and the hub assembly with ebrake line and Im set to do the swap in spring.

TRDmkII
12-10-2004, 01:48 AM
IM workin on it bro, I have the brake lines from the gts, i just need my aem big brake kit for the rear of a gts and the hub assembly with ebrake line and Im set to do the swap in spring.

sweet good luck with that....

DrPaine
12-10-2004, 03:29 AM
sweet good luck with that....

Thanks man, so far, that I know of, I think im goign to be the first person to try it. I may be wrong, I dotn see too many people on newcelica that even mention of it.

DrPaine
12-10-2004, 03:36 AM
Ok, I found a few people with it done. I lied.

Thumpin00gts
12-10-2004, 03:55 AM
like previously stated, do not get an 02. 2000's wont have too many problems unless they weren't maintained properly. anything below the 2003 I say you change the lift bolts, on the test drive make sure that lift engages without problems, look for oil leaks in the engine bay. Ummm, a car fax report never hurts. Hell I picked my 6 speed gts up from a junkyard and rebuilt it, the only problem I have had with it was a snapped shift linkage and a bad syncro but that was cuz of the previous driver, warranty covered it for free. The 2000 will have a far different feel than the 2002+, the early models have a very stiff shifter which feels incredibly sporty but you risk misshifting if you dont have the best technique. When the dealer changed my tranny I got an updated one and although I didnt like the difference in the feel of it, i had to admit that it shifts smoother and faster than the 2000 tranny.
If you have the means and the know how then the best bet money wise is to get one that has either some rear end damage or a crappy interior and then just go to a junkyard and swap parts. That is what I did and my car cost me under 9 grand for a 2000 6speed with 54000 and nobody could tell that it was ever totalled. Although I got lucky, the majority of the damage was interior on the car.

edit: almost forgot, there are currently two recalls out on the 2000-2001 celica's. One concerns the master break cylinder and the dealer will only check it to make sure that nothing is wrong. THe other deals with the day time running lamps being too bright, so nothing too big there. Just ask to see if either of those have been taken care of before you purchase.

muxon
12-10-2004, 05:10 AM
the gts is just a gt with lift and rear disk brakes...

Yes. Yes, that's all. :squint:

DrPaine
12-10-2004, 06:00 AM
Yes. Yes, that's all. :squint:

haha, He forgot the badges and Leather! haha, but mostly the badges :thefinger

TRDmkII
12-10-2004, 10:54 PM
leather interior is overrated....and badges that half the people take off anyways...oh yeah and you can get 16 in wheels....hrm....

muxon
12-11-2004, 04:15 AM
leather interior is overrated....and badges that half the people take off anyways...oh yeah and you can get 16 in wheels....hrm....

2ZZ Engine?

6 speed transmission?

Yeah the GT and GT-S look the same minus the wheels, but come on... "lift" is not slapped onto a GT and magically it's a GT-S. The 2ZZ is a wonder of engineering. The 1ZZ in the GT has a plastic intake manifold for chrissake! Not to mention completely different bore/stroke measurements, lower compression, lower redline, a different drivetrain with different gearing, different ECU, and yes, no rear disc brakes.

The 7th gen GT is the V6 Camaro.

And for the record, there was no 6th gen GT-S sold in the US. I suppose you could import one from Canada, but isn't it just a GT with a badge slapped on the back (literally)?

Blackcloud
12-11-2004, 04:32 AM
makes me want to get a type r badge

TRDmkII
12-11-2004, 05:48 AM
I'm not trying to start a fight here, but the 2zz is not a wonder of engineering...the lift bolts wear and break....the rod bearings spin....and when driven on the track the oil ports are soo small that a lot of oil gets trapped in the head starving the block....yes it has lift, but its not all that great...especially for the price difference..

there is no negative for a plastic intake manifold, the majority of newer cars have plastic intake manifolds to reduce weight, there is no performance lost....of couse...i said it has a 6spd so of course the tranny and drivetrain are different...but for the 3k or more extra you'd have to pay to get a gts you could easily slap a small turbo on the gt and be smokin gts'....

also i'd take a lower compression engine any day over a higher compression engine...and the lower redline doesn't hurt...

with the gts you're only in the peak power range for about one second per gear.....yes the jolt back in your seat is fun....the first few times....its nothing to rave about...ok....i'm sorry to come off as a jerk, but we are all entitled to our own opinions...and i guess you can see mine...

DrPaine
12-11-2004, 06:01 AM
Relax Muxon man, We all know that there is quite a few differences between the gt and the gts besides badges and leather and rims....... Now my gt to a gts a bit different in january :wiggle: When I get my gts tranny swap with 6 Puck clutch and lightened flywheel and disk in the back. I already have the leather and upgraded rims. muahhahaha.

Blackcloud
12-11-2004, 06:48 AM
I'm not trying to start a fight here, but the 2zz is not a wonder of engineering...the lift bolts wear and break....the rod bearings spin....and when driven on the track the oil ports are soo small that a lot of oil gets trapped in the head starving the block....yes it has lift, but its not all that great...especially for the price difference..

there is no negative for a plastic intake manifold, the majority of newer cars have plastic intake manifolds to reduce weight, there is no performance lost....of couse...i said it has a 6spd so of course the tranny and drivetrain are different...but for the 3k or more extra you'd have to pay to get a gts you could easily slap a small turbo on the gt and be smokingts'....

also i'd take a lower compression engine any day over a higher compression engine...and the lower redline doesn't hurt...

with the gts you're only in the peak power range for about one second per gear.....yes the jolt back in your seat is fun....the first few times....its nothing to rave about...ok....i'm sorry to come off as a jerk, but we are all entitled to our own opinions...and i guess you can see mine...

good points

Thumpin00gts
12-12-2004, 12:59 AM
putting a turbo on any 7th gen celica is a lot more work than just "slapping" on a turbo, also voids warranties, leaves a lot of room for things to go wrong and requires a great deal of tuning to get it done correctly. In my opinion if you want a quick(not fast) daily driver then go for the gts. If you simply can't afford going for the gts then get the gt but its not like you're going to be turboing it if you couldn't afford the gts in the first place...oh and most importantly, after 2 years, that little jolt is still fun every time ;)

DrPaine
12-12-2004, 07:58 AM
putting a turbo on any 7th gen celica is a lot more work than just "slapping" on a turbo, also voids warranties, leaves a lot of room for things to go wrong and requires a great deal of tuning to get it done correctly. In my opinion if you want a quick(not fast) daily driver then go for the gts. If you simply can't afford going for the gts then get the gt but its not like you're going to be turboing it if you couldn't afford the gts in the first place...oh and most importantly, after 2 years, that little jolt is still fun every time ;)

Pretty true, but for people who are turbo'ing the celica, they already know the cost's, voided warranties and that there can be problems.

cool2miketlu
12-30-2004, 05:15 AM
I have a custom turboed GT, and best I got on a dyno was at 7 psi (can't find the sheet anymore) 223.1FWHP and 197.6ft/lb. It cost me alot of money but now there are kits you can buy, but to do an aftermarket turbo right I would get a standalone and ditch the piggyback crap so... $3500 (turbo setup) + $1000 (PowerFC with datalogit to program it) + install and all the small parts as well as tuning ($1200) Oh! Had my setup since 2002 and it is still fun getting that jolt at 2500 instead of the 6000 :hehe:

BTW Whatever you can do to a GT you can get better numbers in GT-S, because the GT-S flows better so you can boost harder. I would get the GT-S just because it has more potential. BTW I would get 2000~2003 GT-S, get a PowerFC + Cold air intake + header + exhaust and you will see close to 180FWHP, Illusive in controlled inertial on www.newcelica.org was able to tune his GTS to 180FWHP with just those setup. PowerFC can raise the redline, lower lift and eliminate fuel cutoff, just do not get the ones with Drive By Wire.

cool2miketlu
12-30-2004, 05:26 AM

there is no negative for a plastic intake manifold, the majority of newer cars have plastic intake manifolds to reduce weight, there is no performance lost....of couse...i said it has a 6spd so of course the tranny and drivetrain are different...but for the 3k or more extra you'd have to pay to get a gts you could easily slap a small turbo on the gt and be smokin gts'....

I am not trying to pick a fight either... but the whole point of getting a sports car is have it drive fast as well as look fast. To do that safely and reliably you have to go high compression which GT-S is doing, sure it does have maintenance issue but if you take care of it it will take care of you.