PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bar Bushing / Rack and Pinion Boot

mjninc
08-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Hello,

I have learned a lot from this site and I appreciate the comments on it. Just purchased my 1st Celica, 92 GT 5spd w/ 82K.

I need to replace a stabalizer bar cushion (what it's called in the manual, I think a sway bar bushing is the same thing, please correct me if I am wrong.)

I also need to replace a rack and pinion boot.

My Questions, has anyone done either of these tasks? Does the bushing come in multiple pieces? I am concerned if not, it may not fit over the flat end of the stabilizer bar.

For the boot, is there anything special I need to do there, ie, are their any seals or anything I need to replace when I do it. I have never done a tie rod, do I need a special tool?

Thank you for your help!

93celicaconv
08-27-2010, 01:10 PM
The sway bar bushings have an opening (actually, a cut through from the outside to the round opening where the swap bar sits), so the bushing can be opened up to be put around the sway bar. Don't need to remove anything except the sway bar bushing cap. Pretty easy job.

Power steering rack & pinion boot replacement, as far as I know (anyone else in the forum, please verify and/or correct), you need to remove the arms from the tie rods (and tie rods from the wheel hubs) in order to slide the old boots off and put the new ones on. This is not as easy. And if the rack & pinion is leaking fluid into the boots, the rack & pinion needs to be removed in order to service the seals in the rack itself. Most places that do this work will also need to do a wheel alignment afterwards, because the original steering position settings almost can't be reproduced when putting everything back together again.

mjninc
08-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks. I appreciate your answer.

I am not sure if the boot is leaking or not, I just noticed that it is split in half. I know I have a power steering hose leak, (the hose was all wet under the rubber.) There is a lot of fluid around down there and I think it is only the hose.

I will find out more if once the hose is replaced. I have looked in the manual and based on the pictures of the systems I think I can get the rack and pinion out to rebuild it, if need be. (I am having trouble locating the exact instructions from the manual on how to take the rack and pinion out.)

If the rack and pinion isn't leaking, is there any reason to put a new boot on?

Also, to order new bushings, AutoZone has them, but I am not sure what size I will need, and do you recommend the kind with zerks on them?

Thank you for your help!

93celicaconv
08-27-2010, 05:32 PM
If your rack & pinion seals are not leaking yet, they will without the boots protecting the sliding shafts going through the seals. Those shafts will get rusty and when a rusted part of the shaft goes into the seal enough times from sharp turns, your seals will give way. So I would not advise anyone to go without the boots being in good shape. You can see how long the rack & pinion will go without leaking, if it isn't already, but it won't be long.

Regading sway bar bushings, there are no grease zerks on them. It's just rubber against steel. You should probably remove one of your bushings, measure the sway bar shaft diameter where the bushing was, and get new bushings for that size shaft. I'm sure 99% of bushings were one size, perhaps the All-Trac model had a bigger size, but I would think you would need the smaller size, if AutoZone can't get you the exact one by knowing your model.

mjninc
08-27-2010, 06:11 PM
If I find it's not leaking, I will just go with the boot.

If not , I will need to pull the rack and pinion and redo the seals. Would you replace the seals on both sides while I had it out or just leave the side that is fine alone?

Thanks again for all of your help. One more thing, would you direct me to the instructions on how to take out the rack and pinion please?

mjninc
08-27-2010, 08:15 PM
I found the rack and pinion instructions. It's called gear housing.
Thanks.

93celicaconv
08-30-2010, 02:48 AM
If one seal is leaking, since you have the rack & pinion out anyway, I would replace both seals and boots.

Glad you found the removal instructions. Did you find the seal to be leaking?

richj11
08-30-2010, 04:49 AM
I just replaced the boot on the passenger side. It was pretty easy. Remove tire, remove tie rod end. New boot slides on and clamp both ends up.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4938758873_52b7a58c80_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4938729871_e92a9d8a9a_z.jpg

mjninc
08-30-2010, 12:04 PM
I had a bad power steering hose leak, so I had a new one fabbed and installed it (high side.) Because of the leak, hydraulic fluid is everywhere anyway. I checked last night and there were a few drips on the driveway.

I am not sure if it's coming from the rack and pinion boot or not. When I was under there, I had my helper turn the lock the wheel out both ways time and again and I didn't see any come out so I am hoping not.

My guess is it's coming from where the power steering hose or the pump. If it's not the pump, I think it may be where I bolted in the new hose on the top of the pump. I had the dual copper thing on it but I am not sure if it needed any other type of washer on it?

I intend to get some engine cleaner and clean the area really well to see where the new fluid is coming from.

If the rack and pinion were leaking, where would it come from?

Is the tie rod end a pain to get off? I think the only system I have yet to work on is the suspension system.

Thank you much for the help. I appreciate your time in helping me.

93celicaconv
08-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Richj11, thanks for the inputs & pictures. I'm assuming you also needed to have a realignment done, as there isn't a good way to get the tie rod back on in perfectly the exact right position on the steering arm, right?

If the rack & pinion was leaking, it would normally leak from the seals where the steering arms come out of (the housing on which the boots are attached). Sometimes a good boot will hold the fluid so you won't see a leak, until the amount of fluid lose is so great the boot breaks. On good boots, many mechanics will get a small pin and put a tiny hole at the bottom of one of the ribs of the boot to see if any fluid comes out - a sign of a seal leak.

richj11
08-30-2010, 01:18 PM
I did not have an alignment done. I just counted the number of turns to remove the tie rod and and put in back on the same number of turns. Tie rod end was in surprisingly good shape too. I already know the car needs an alignment, but want to get all these fixes done first. Also thinking about replacing the struts.

How hard it is to get the to the rear top strut mounts on the convertible model? Something back there needs to come out, but I haven't looked around very much back there yet.

It will be my daughters DD next month when she gets her license.

Richj11, thanks for the inputs & pictures. I'm assuming you also needed to have a realignment done, as there isn't a good way to get the tie rod back on in perfectly the exact right position on the steering arm, right?

If the rack & pinion was leaking, it would normally leak from the seals where the steering arms come out of (the housing on which the boots are attached). Sometimes a good boot will hold the fluid so you won't see a leak, until the amount of fluid lose is so great the boot breaks. On good boots, many mechanics will get a small pin and put a tiny hole at the bottom of one of the ribs of the boot to see if any fluid comes out - a sign of a seal leak.

93celicaconv
08-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Rear strut tower access is pretty easy. A fair amount of panels to remove, not like the back seat shelf that just pops out, but not too bad. I had the interior pulled out when I was restoring my convertible, so I saw the rear strut towers.

Wow, your daughter is a lucky girl, getting a convertible for a DD.

richj11
08-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Wow, your daughter is a lucky girl, getting a convertible for a DD.

Was looking for a Corolla for her, but when I found this Celica I loved it. And so does she :)

mjninc
08-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the tip on the pin hole in the boot. I will know immediately if it the seal is leaking when I do the pinhole.

Do you have to pull the Rack and Pinion to replace a seal on it?

Do you know if a washer besides the copper washers goes on the high side power steering hose? Also, are you supposed to use threadlocker on it? If so, wouldn't that get it in the system?

Thanks again for your help.

93celicaconv
08-31-2010, 02:33 AM
I guess I've never replaced a seal on a rack & pinion, so I am not absolutely sure.

For hoses, I think there are two copper washers, one on each side of the banjo fitting, right? No need for threadlocker on this kind of connection - at least I've never used it and I don't think the service manual calls for it.