PDA

View Full Version : now undecided: Lift or boost

celica9303
08-26-2010, 06:48 AM
well for the past few months well almost a year ive been set on getting a gen 3 or gen 4 3sgte. a couple of months ago i got to drive Austinc's 7th gen gts (2zz) and i gotta say lift is an amazing feeling. and reving to the sky is also fun. it got my thinking about the direction of my convertiable.

i have also been in a 2nd gen 3sgte swaped vert and a couple of alltracs. and boost is just as amazing when it comes on strong and hard.

Ive always had a sweet spot for the redtop BEAMS 3sge, and it being red(VC and intake) colorwise it wolud go perfect with my car. the only problem i run in to with this is with the BEAMS its pretty much drop in and go, not much as aftermarket power makers besides ITB's and maybe an exhaust header. where as with the GTE i could manipulate it to get to where i felt the power needed to be. (want to eventually own an Alltrac also)

ITs my DD in the nice weather months. both would go great in the car imo i just all of a sudden became undecided, i guess price will be the determing factor, not really looking for massive power just usable power and fun power for the highways cruizes and screwwing around in town. also something the honda guys wont expect out of a toyota.

idk thoughts?

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

untill i swap this will probably nag at my brain....uggh why cant we get both(safely)

BabyBear
08-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Swapping a 2zz into a 5th gen is gonna be a LOT more expensive than a 3s. Unless you REALLY REALLY want it and got the coin for the swap, I'd just stick with a 3s of some variant.

Hookecho
08-26-2010, 04:14 PM
I can relate to your dilemma. I also toiled over the same 2 motors for quite a while. I really liked the thought of the Beams and had wanted to stay N/A. Mainly because all of my experience with motor builds was in the N/A realm and i felt comfortable with it. Plus, I had never been in a turbo charged vehicle other than an F250 so i had never really been able to make the comparison.

After much reasoning with myself I decided to buy the 3sgte. Simply because i needed to step outside of my comfort zone and do something different.

It was hands down the better decision. Mainly because of the after market support and the fact that you can get more power out of it for far less money than it would take to make the same power with a N/A 4 cylinder. There is also the coolness factor of the turbo spooling. The fact that you can spend $350 on an exhaust upgrade and boost controller to make 50 more hp on the stock motor says alot. $350 got me a set of cams for my 5sfe that netted maybe 15hp.

I will say that i have learned that F/I engines need a little more care and patience than N/A motors. It comes with the territory.

wizzards581
08-26-2010, 04:42 PM
i drove 2 hrs to test drive a 00 celica gts 6spd and didnt buy it. somehow was not satisfied...

celica9303
08-26-2010, 06:49 PM
thanks bruce I'm pretty comfortable with both f/I and n/a. I also feel like you with less money = more power with f/I. But imv sure I could do something with the beams as far as a little more power if I wanted. At least I know I'm not the only one who had/has this delimma

Facime
08-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Squeezing a few more horse from the Beams is going to be tough and expensive. Dont plan on it. If you arent going to be satisfied with the Beam's power right out of the box, then dont get it.

Its really about driving style, and what you want to do with the car. If you like power from the crack of the throttle, and power that is always there the instant you want it, Then NA is for you. I personally like to drive on alot of twisty mountain roads where you are constantly on and off the throttle, and I gotta say I prefer an NA for that.

If you want to blow away the Honduh boys, then the turbo is going to be the only way, but if you ask me, thats a little childish. Go for what YOU want, screw what anyone else thinks. I personally love the sound and feel of a turbo.

Shadowlife25
08-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Boost a Beams. Then you have both.

It has been done previously. It is extremely cost prohibitive though.

I would just do the 3SGTE and use lightened top end components to allow higher revolution.
Coupled with tuning, it would leave you quite happy.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-26-2010, 07:17 PM
3VZ-FE

I've researched, they've got a couple in your neighborhood.

Rebuilt, then turbo-ed. Cost effective N/A, requires some modification fun. Not basic, but amazing.

celica9303
08-27-2010, 12:51 AM
You all have valid points. Ill look at see what i can find as far as lighter topend part for the 3sgte.

My main goal is to have a fun streetable celica that won't bore me in a few months so mostlikely ill got gte but Ill do more research.

Cavanagh
08-27-2010, 01:04 AM
3S-GTE, only way to go. Everything you say makes 3S the only choice.

90CelicaST
08-27-2010, 01:43 AM
3SGTE is the only answer for any T16/T18/T20 chassis. ALWAYS.

burnyd
08-27-2010, 03:40 AM
I really do not recommend a swapped car for a dd, I think just about anyone who has had a swapped car will agree with me. I hope you have a backup vehicle of some sort.

that being said, go with a 3rd gen you will not be dissapointed. I cant believe how cheep they are going for now.

celica9303
08-27-2010, 04:19 AM
I have my 4runner for daily duties, it sucks on gas hard core(6-8mpg average) so if its nice out I perfer to drive the celica.

theadidasmunky
08-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Beams. its soooo sexy.

ChrisD
08-27-2010, 04:47 PM
My RDX has i-VTEC and a turbo.

I have no idea when the VTEC hits, definitely overpowered by boost.

I am a big fan of turbos, so I'd go 3SGTE. You can make them look pretty sweet too if you put the time in. But I do love the aesthetics of the Beams.

BabyBear
08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
My RDX has i-VTEC and a turbo.

I have no idea when the VTEC hits, definitely overpowered by boost.

I am a big fan of turbos, so I'd go 3SGTE. You can make them look pretty sweet too if you put the time in. But I do love the aesthetics of the Beams.

I got i-VTEC on my RSX-S as well, and until I put an intake on it, I couldn't really tell when VTEC kicked in. I think thats the way most of the i-VTEC motors are.

And I'm agreeing with most everyone on the whole go 3S-GTE :)

donteatbugs
08-27-2010, 06:20 PM
3rd gen 3sgte is the easaiest way to go

celica9303
08-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Ok ok ok...lol ill go with the 3sgte. Boosting the beams would be to cost prohibitive, and I know ill vwant more from it

lalojamesliz
08-27-2010, 09:13 PM
I have my 4runner for daily duties, it sucks on gas hard core(6-8mpg average)

:confused: Is it stock???

celica9303
08-27-2010, 09:18 PM
:confused: Is it stock???

Yes, I cant figure it out other than it needs a o2sensor

vip09
08-28-2010, 01:20 AM
You can build a 3sgte to rev high if you want. I will be taking my new build to around 9000rpms probably.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-28-2010, 01:58 AM
After having the All Trac, I am going to try my best to have turbo cars from here on out. I love boost.

darthripley
08-28-2010, 02:48 AM
It's too easy to get hooked on boost whether turbo or s/c.
3rd gen 3sgte with bolt-ons should satisfy your hp goals for awhile.

celica9303
08-28-2010, 03:50 AM
That's what I hear....it kinda scares me lol but yeah I agree I'm thinking gen 3. Check out my other thread in f/I about the gen 3, and see what you can add.

vip09
08-28-2010, 04:28 AM
I would definitely go gen3 if you are going to stay stockish. Everything is better.. almost.