PDA

View Full Version : Looking at purchasing a Celica

Night_Wolf
08-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Hey guys, the GF couldnt find a local Miata that was in decent shape so we went and looked at a 90-91 Vert! It has a 173,xxx miles.
Good:
New exhaust
No tears in soft top
Rear window is perfect
Good set of tires
Trans shifts great
Smooth Ride

Bad:
Oil Light stayed on for 5-7 secs (Didn't time it, that's a guesstimate)
There's a bit of clatter, sounds like valves, but the cars almost 20 years old and guessing it needs adjustment
E-Brake is no worky worky
Side mirrors are electric, and the electric is inoperable (prolly an easy fix like fuse)
Rust in rear passenger quarter where the water collects by the jack and that.

I think that's it for now...

So she wants $2,995 for it, reason being its a Toyota and a "solid" car. I told her it was slightly outta my price range, the range being $2,400 and she said there's no way she'd go that low. So I need some input guys, what do you think? Thanks a million!

Grot
08-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Id say neh. You can do better for 3k

alltracNyx
08-23-2010, 10:38 PM
For a car that has rust, 3k is pricey. You might have to expand your search out of WI and drive a bit to pick it up, but you should be able to find something in your price range that's in better shape.

If it was perfect, with no rust and slightly lower miles, it'd be worth the 3k.

The Captain
08-23-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm thinking of selling my vert. But it'll be near double your budget.

Murgatroy
08-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Rust, low oil pressure on start up and valve chatter?

That is not a solid car.

That is a $2k tops car, and that is pushing it depending on the market.

I would give $1500 and that is only if I knew for sure that it was valve chatter and not a death rattle.

Night_Wolf
08-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Sweet this is the kind of opinions I was looking for. Thanks guys! Ill keep looking around for her.

klapa
09-04-2010, 07:53 PM
I KNOW I got a GREAT deal - but I got my GT with a fairly fresh rebuilt engine, good body with no rust (160k on body and ~10k on rebuilt 5SFE), tons of spare parts including a spare set of wheels and tires - for $1,700.00 right here at Celicatech.

My first Celica was an STX with ~240k miles - 4AFE, 5-speed. I paid $1900 for that car and I think that was at least $400 too much - still it has a nearly perfect rust-free body, and while the engine has allot of miles - it runs like a top - you can't even hear the thing idle!

Both the above are Coupes. The 'verts will always go for more because - well they are 'verts - everybody has some idea that they are "rare".

If you've just "got" to have a 'vert then that is one thing - but if I had it all to do again I would have hatchbacks for my everyday "DD" car - they just make the most sense. So much easier to do the "grocery" thing and other such with a hatch compared to a 'vert or a coupe.

Also - if you are into any sort of "performance" then the 'very will be the absolute worst at taking the curves. The coupe is best for that.

I would think a 5th gen - with a decently rust-free body, possibly faded but workable paint, high miles but running engine, functioning trans and clutch (if applicable) - should certainly cost no more than $2k.

They are out there - all you need do is closely watch the craiglist ads and "pounce" when you find the deal.

That's what I did - everyday for many months I would check the ads daily - and when I found my '91 AllTrac that actually runs and rolls for $2400 - I "pounced" on it quick - and was the first there to get it.

klapa
09-04-2010, 07:53 PM
I KNOW I got a GREAT deal - but I got my GT with a fairly fresh rebuilt engine, good body with no rust (160k on body and ~10k on rebuilt 5SFE), tons of spare parts including a spare set of wheels and tires - for $1,700.00 right here at Celicatech.

My first Celica was an STX with ~240k miles - 4AFE, 5-speed. I paid $1900 for that car and I think that was at least $400 too much - still it has a nearly perfect rust-free body, and while the engine has allot of miles - it runs like a top - you can't even hear the thing idle!

Both the above are Coupes. The 'verts will always go for more because - well they are 'verts - everybody has some idea that they are "rare".

If you've just "got" to have a 'vert then that is one thing - but if I had it all to do again I would have hatchbacks for my everyday "DD" car - they just make the most sense. So much easier to do the "grocery" thing and other such with a hatch compared to a 'vert or a coupe.

Also - if you are into any sort of "performance" then the 'very will be the absolute worst at taking the curves. The coupe is best for that.

I would think a 5th gen - with a decently rust-free body, possibly faded but workable paint, high miles but running engine, functioning trans and clutch (if applicable) - should certainly cost no more than $2k.

They are out there - all you need do is closely watch the craiglist ads and "pounce" when you find the deal.

That's what I did - everyday for many months I would check the ads daily - and when I found my '91 AllTrac that actually runs and rolls for $2400 - I "pounced" on it quick - and was the first there to get it.

Car_Barn_Bandit
09-05-2010, 03:11 AM
My first Celica (92 GT auto) Christine, was bought in Cali with 198k, no rust, strong engine, with shit shocks and bald tires. $1,800. Ran like a champ till I murdered the motor in the Rockies hauling way too much crap back to Ohio. Solid car when I sold her.

Slider
09-05-2010, 11:10 AM
I agree with everyone else it's a bit steep. I know it's a vert but it's not like it's a sought after car, especially with rust, rust repair can be expensive. If the person isn't budging on the price I would keep looking.

klapa
09-05-2010, 07:58 PM
I will add that if you can wait - it is always best to wait until the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas - the deals always get better then if you have cash in hand.

Doowstados
09-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Terrible. In my area there are several in better condition than that selling for less than $2,000. Just wait a bit and look some more.