PDA

View Full Version : Towing with your celica?

KnightofNi
08-20-2010, 04:24 PM
I know it sounds kinda dumb, but has enyone ever done this? did you add a trans cooler or anything? did you have any problems aside from havign the hitch uglying up the back end?

I'm seen a z3 towing a pop-up camper, I've seen a focus pulling 2 motorcycles, in europe i saw mid-sized cars towing full camping trailers. I figure the celica should be able to tow 1 motorcycle and a small trailer.

I'm not sure how wise it is, but i'm not known for having the best plans ever.
my g/f wants to go with me on my next dragon trip, but she won't last on the back of the bike for that distance. and if i have to take her then why not take a sporty car. it should make the beer runs easier if nothing else.

if this has been covered before i apologize. i swear i did a search, but didn't find anything with this topic.

MCcelica
08-20-2010, 08:15 PM
The only "towing" I did was with my old 5th gen. Pulled my buddies disabled (lifted) Jeep wrangler across town. Therefore no transmission cooler or hitch was installed. Therefore I don't know about issues with hitches. But I do know it can do it.

You make frequent trips to the Dragon? Cause when we all go to the Dragon, we stay in a hotel that's right across the street from a liquor store. So it would be pointless to have a vehicle for a beer run. But if you go on your own a lot, then you can obviously do things however you please.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-21-2010, 12:14 AM
My All Trac has a Reece hitch on it. I've never towed anything with it but I read some posts (on AT.net) where the previous owner had towed a fair size cargo trailer with it. Of course I've read some other posts the lead me to believe he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Anyway, with the right hitch you should be able to tow the bike. My Dad had a Ford ZX2 S/R that he used to tow his Kawaski 800 Drifter back and forth from WV to FL without any problem. You just have to be sensible about it. Check the owner's manual for the tow capacity. I know it's in there but I don't remember what it was.

A trans cooler would be a good idea if you're going to tow. Heat in a tranny, especially an auto, is a bad thing.

KnightofNi
08-21-2010, 05:38 AM
when i got down i'm usually traveling with other bikes. we stay right in robbinsville or at the resort so we "can be where the action is."

it's decent, but having a liquor store nearby would be nice. where do you guys stay at?

thanks for the answers. i don't feel so dumb about the idea anymore.
now to pull it off half assed and kludge a fix 800 miles from home!:unsure:

Grot
08-21-2010, 05:45 AM
Everyone stays in Knoxville, just off Cedar Bluff Rd.

Murgatroy
08-21-2010, 06:26 AM
Conrad uses his ST185 to haul his Starlet. Or at least he has in the past.

I don't think hauling a combined combo of <1000 will hurt your Celica. A small trailer and a bike wouldn't be that bad.

Everyone stays at the Holiday Inn when they are visiting me. Well, ever since my wife decided that everyone couldn't crash at my apartment anymore.

85gtsblackman
08-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Everyone stays at the Holiday Inn when they are visiting me. Well, ever since my wife decided that everyone couldn't crash at my apartment anymore.

i sorry, i warned yall i snore

Galcobar
08-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Owner's manual lists the maximum trailer weight (trailer and cargo) as 1500 lbs for a 4AFE, 2000 for a 5SFE.

You also have to watch the load capacity for the car -- include yourself, any added equipment (e.g. audio, dampening), cargo and tounge weight. Max is 750 lbs for the 5SFE.

KnightofNi
08-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Owner's manual lists the maximum trailer weight (trailer and cargo) as 1500 lbs for a 4AFE, 2000 for a 5SFE.

You also have to watch the load capacity for the car -- include yourself, any added equipment (e.g. audio, dampening), cargo and tounge weight. Max is 750 lbs for the 5SFE.

i was just reading through that. i think for long trips i wiould prob see if someone else can tow the bike for me, but for short hauls (like to the shop if i can't ride it there) towing should be no issue.

thanks again for the help guys. some day i'll be able to do the same for other new guys.

Facime
08-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Towing is mainly about the brakes, not the power of the car doing the pulling with a couple of footnotes. Turbo cars are not well suited to towing loads that cause them to always be in, or near, a state of boost. Manual transmission cars dont need a trans cooler, they dont generate significantly more heat under towing conditions, but of course automatics DO. They benefit from a good trans cooler but for short trips and/or trips over mostly level roads at reasonable speeds...A celica could easily pull a small trailer.

I live out near a guy who pulls a small utility trailer behind his mk1 MR2. Its funny to see him coming as the trailer towers over the top (4 foot plywood sides) of his 2. Out where we live there are several long steep hills too and hes been doing it regularly for years.

5thgenkeeper
08-22-2010, 02:52 AM
Around here people get boat trailers to tow their motorcycles and pull them with Miatas, Yarises (Yarii?) etc. Just roll the wheels into the channel for the keel and tie down. The trailer weighs less than the bike.