PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl wrapping

sodap0p
08-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Anybody do this to there cars?

I was thinking of wrapping the top(bottom of window up, including trunk lid and spoiler) of my MR2 black, I think it would look nice. A buddy of mine who did the Bull Run Lambo amongst other cars offered to do my cars for the cost of material. My hood is damaged, so instead of repainting, his offer to wrap it for free is appealing, he also has enough scrap gloss black that it would cost nothing. I have to fix and primer my hood though or the damage would show through.

I'm also thinking of wrapping my black WRC with white and doing the whole Castrol WRC ST205 paint scheme (without the names because they are copy righted) I can get a roll of white for $1000 (which is more than enough to do two full cars)

I need someone who can convert tiff to vector files and someone who can design these images. So if anyone wants to lend me their talents, please pm.

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-20-2010, 03:26 PM
I saw an MR2 that got wrapped around here localy and it came out really good.Car looked like it was painted proffesionaly and all.

sodap0p
08-20-2010, 03:41 PM
yeah, I like what they can do with it...check out the skyline here...went from glossy to matte black

http://www.modernimage.net/_e/page/1044/Nissan_GTR_Wrapped_Matt_Black_Vinyl.htm

Cavanagh
08-20-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm personally not a big fan of wrapping, looks bizarre to me.

sodap0p
08-20-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm personally not a big fan of wrapping, looks bizarre to me.

I used to feel the same way, but after watching him do a few cars, Im warming up to the idea.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-21-2010, 12:19 AM
I've really been impressed with some of the stuff I've seen. It's come a long way and looks pretty good when done right. If your buddy is doing the Lambos, I'd say he knows what he's doing. It would be good to do at least for a while.

VikingJZ
08-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Vinyl wrapping is becoming quite popular, especially with the guys that have high dollar cars that don't want to repaint them.

Facime
08-21-2010, 08:47 PM
There is a mk2 MR2 in my area with a black top section like you suggest and I love it! The only thing I dont like is it being compared to an eclipse.

Im actually mulling the idea of a black top for my ST165. Until now I hadnt even thought about vinyl....*wheels start churning*

celica91gts
08-21-2010, 10:39 PM
i saw a subie at a car meet up in phoenix that was wrapped in flat black vinal. looked bomb as hell.

Naemion
08-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Yeah but how easy is it to get damaged?

ChrisD
08-23-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm not really a fan. If you were doing something Steve, instead of wrapping white on the WRC I'd just do the Castrol based rally theme on the black. Looks awesome. But I'd do it with just the green/red vinyl. But then again, unless the car is for competition I'm more of a traditionalist style wise. :)

sodap0p
08-23-2010, 09:46 PM
... I'd just do the Castrol based rally theme on the black. Looks awesome. .... ..

really? I'd like to see an example if you have one?

UndaGrwnD
08-23-2010, 11:48 PM
i want to do it, in matte black...but its quite exspensive...

ChrisD
08-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Can't find an example...but I've seen it before...will keep looking...