PDA

View Full Version : 6th gen Celica GT Four bumper

Celicalover
08-19-2010, 11:33 PM
After working around the engine and timing issues Ive had with my distributor Ive noticed that my bumper isnt as as good shape as I had thought.
The bottom teeth from the grill are broken and the brackets have seen better days.
I decided to look for new replacement from ebay and have a friend paint it at his shop. After sorting through all the ugly after market body kits I found an original and I also found its GT four ST202 counter part. It has a much better refined look with a small metal grill and less of the bubble plastic look.
I checked around the forum here to see if anyone else has done or thought about doing front bumper mods and I've only seen the upgraded CS bumpers. Which are also an improvement.
Has anyone given any thought of doing the same, has anyone else done the same?

manda
08-20-2010, 12:16 AM
I've been looking around at different body kits for the 6th gen as well, and generally you find really ugly vader kits and such. Today I did stumble upon a GT-4 (look alike?) bumper, looked pretty decent and wasnt too expensive either. I believe i was looking around on andysautosport.com when I found it but I dont know much about them.... It was a VIS GT-4 front bumper priced at 178.08

I dont know if that helps you any, but thats what I've found at a reasonable price thus far. I haven't done anything as far as a body kit to my 6th gen yet, but it is coming soon...... hopefully.

Galcobar
08-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Side note: GT4 is an ST205. ST202 came with a 3SGE (naturally aspirated) and was GTi, GT-R (four-wheel steering), or SS variant.

Celicalover
08-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Galcobar is correct about the engine size and aspiration.
The look and bumper I found is exactly like this one pictured.

http://connect.in.com/toyota-celica-gt-four/photos-1-1-1-1dfea295ea5bd4417206d8bcf0b2d30d.html

http://blog.cardomain.com/2009/02/09/st205-celica-gt-four-at-nurburgring/

I agree about the vadar kits and other being made. Theyre almost too aggressive for my taste. Id like mine to look more stock, just so its more natural to its styling and curves.
Thanks for the link theres some good things there. Ive only looked on ebay and craigslist.

manda
08-20-2010, 03:50 AM
Sure, no problem. Ive been lookin at things on there off and on all day. If I find any others I'll let you know

85gtsblackman
08-20-2010, 05:33 AM
from front to back

jdm ss3 front spliters
or
toms lip

gt4 front bumper and hood
or
curren conversion

trd side skirts

jdm rear splitters/splats
or
trd euro rear lip, kinda hard to find though

jdm rear sunshade/hatch defelector (cant use if u have a coupe)

2 post spoiler, like the one i have or lip(duckbill style spoiler)

oh and in the euro/jdm projectors are nice

note: a factory gt4 front bumper and stock non gt4 front bumper will have a gap between the 2

MCcelica
08-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Ok, so those pics are the ST205 bumper. As Joe said, if you get it, it won't fit with your hood, so you would also need the hood. IF you got the hood only, there will be a gap between it and the bumper. However. If you get both of the above, you will also need to get the ST205 crash bar and hood latch. If you get the bumper without the crash bar, and hit a shopping cart, you'll crack the bumper, because the ST204 crash bar isn't in the correct position for the ST205 bumper cover. The stock 204 hood latch also will not reach the 205 hood.

C-one makes a replica 205 bumper that actually fits with your stock hood. That would make for a cheaper alternative than re-doing your whole front end. I have a few things I have to do first, but when I get back I'll go see if I can find that link.

Celicalover
08-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Good info, thanks. Any luck finding that link MCcelica?

presure2
08-27-2010, 11:43 AM
the c-5 (c-one knockoff) looks kinda like a gt-4 bumper, but fits with the stock hood.
anything from andysautosport has been known to have horrible fitment, just FYI.

MCcelica
08-29-2010, 04:28 AM
I actually have not yet found that. 6gc's forum won't let you search anything with 3 charactors or less... like the letter c, or the word one for that matter... So I'll have to go in and dig through there. I also google'd it and couldn't quite come up with what I was looking for. Will post back when I find it...

Celicalover
08-31-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks all.
I was thinking of going and getting an original bumper and making a grill myself. That way I would get the correct fit I could count on. Rather find the after market bumper thats already done though. Still looking for a good place to order the c-5 presure2 mentioned.

UniqueGT4
09-27-2010, 02:30 AM
So if I get a GT4 front bumper it won't fit on my 95 celi GT

bloodMoney
09-27-2010, 03:43 AM
It will fit, but there will be a gap between your hood and the your bumper.

To remedy this problem, most just go with a GT4 hood/bumper combo (plus all supporting hardware).

MCcelica
09-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Chris, you have it switched.

Unique. If you get the bumper just by itself, your hood will destroy it because you'll never get it closed as the bumper will come up too high for the hood. (It's if you have the hood and not the bumper that you have the gap).

Celicalover. _Jim_ on 6gc usually does the front bumper plus all supporting hardware shipped to your door at around $1500 or so. He deals with imports and I've spoken for his next one that comes in, but I'm doing this conversion myself. I'll make sure and take pics for everyone to look at.

UniqueGT4
09-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Sweet bro can't wait to c pics .. well I'm juss gonna keep saving. Hopefully I can get a front clip with with evrything so I do a swap and front conversion .. ill make a thread of evrything that's gonna be done

MCcelica
09-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Aite so this first pic is to show you that the hood is only mocked up. So each gap you see in the follow on pictures is exaggerated by about a half inch so you can see it. Fenders are gone cause they're getting sanded. This is a 205 hood on a 204 bumper.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/imag0534.jpg

This shows why you have to get the 205 hood latch. The stock one will reach but you have to mash the hood down to get it closed. HOWEVER. The stock SAFETY latch (the one you have to press the lever to actually raise the hood) will NOT reach.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/imag0535.jpg

This last one illustrates the difference in style lines. Notice that after it comes around the lights, the 205 hood comes back up just towards the middle from the high beam. The 204 bumper and 204 hood stay flat. This is why there's a gap between a 204 bumper and 205 hood. It is also why a 205 bumper with a 204 hood will NOT fit.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/3/9/8/7/imag0537.jpg

After I get the 205 bumper in my possession, I will take some pics illustrating why you have to get the 205 crash bar (or modify your 204 crash bar). I'm hoping this can be done by showing where the 204 foam pad meets up. But the long and short of it is, if you stay with the 204 bar/pad combo with a 205 valence, the bar/pad will NOT support the valence properly. Meaning you can probably hit a shopping cart and crack your valence.

I spoke to Jim today and I should have it within a week and a half or so.

bloodMoney
09-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the correction Seth :)

OFF TOPIC:

WOOT! For getting the wheels turning on your 6g again :D

MCcelica
10-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Thanks bro! I'm pretty excited. Got almost half the car sanded, fixed a few other things, and it's progressing pretty well. I have MOST of the passenger side gash banged out, but it will need body filler to make it right. It takes a lot of time to sand though, especially when you're going down to metal. Thank god for power sanders!