PDA

View Full Version : help with installing an HKS bov

ericfragola
08-19-2010, 10:52 PM
i have the st185 engine, but for the life of me cant figure out where the stock bov is, to replace it with my new HKS one! please help.

also, what would the stock bov be called in the chiltons manual? i cant seem to find it in there.

TXcajunman
08-19-2010, 10:56 PM
the 185 USA version didn't come with a bov.to add my blitz bov got a t coupler in between the intercooler and the turbo. good luck

ericfragola
08-19-2010, 11:50 PM
no wonder why...i was going crazy trying to find it. so what should i do to add it in? just get a T coupler and replace the one that goes from the turbo to the TMIC? and from there i mount the base of the bov. then, which vaccuum line do i tee into?

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

if you could post pics of your bov setup that would be very helpful. :)

with your bit of info, i believe i know how to put it in now. just have to find a T coupler and reducer to fit the base of the bov. but my main concern is which vaccuum line to cut into. its the one that goes from the throttle to charcoal canister, correct?

TXcajunman
08-20-2010, 01:44 AM
i don't have any pictures that would help I'm sure there's some somewhere in the gallery of someones setup ,but yes just replace the cpl with a t. as far as the vacuum line if you are talking about recirculating into the system instead of venting to atmosphere. then you t into a vacuum line going to the intake they are in the middle of the engine right in front of the firewall u should be able to see at least one from the top

DudeMan
08-20-2010, 01:48 AM
You will also need a 1" flange if your BOV doesn't already have one, so you can secure it to the T hose.

If I remember right the T hose is 51x25x51mm. Check ebay for both, the 1" flange is listed under a VW or something.

For the vacuum line, there's a nipple on the backside of your intake manifold that's plugged from factory. Simply remove the plug and run a vacuum hose from this nipple to your BOV.

If your already using this nipple for a boost gauge then just use a T.

Hope that helps.

ericfragola
08-20-2010, 02:37 AM
ah. thanks guys. ill definately look into it tomorrow. im ordering my treadstone FMIC core tomorrow! :D hella excited for that. my builds coming along nicely.

so what i said was correct, right? replace coupler going from turbo to TMIC with a T. from the branch that goes out, put a reducer to fit to my BOVs diameter. i want to VTA. but which vaccuum line was it again? i only know of one thats completely in the back of the EFI.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

ill post pics of what im talking about tomorrow for clarification on the vaccuum lines

4thgenceli
08-20-2010, 03:22 AM
It should be from the intercooler to the throttle body where you want to put the BOV, not turbo to intercooler.

ericfragola
08-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Ok, good to know. For now ill rig it from turbo to tmic. Once I get my fmic, ill T into the tubing in an incospicuous spot. But between fmic and throttle.