PDA

View Full Version : '90 gts facelift

NYTEPSYCE
08-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Well, I am on vacation and before leaving I took the plunge and put my 1990 GTS in the shop for body work and new paint job. Estimation between $4 and $5 grand. My wife told me to do it! (I was going to wait till I had paid off some credit cards but she insisted on getting it done, said she was "embarassed" to be seen riding in the car the way it looked). The only other thing I need to do afterwards is take it to the Toyota dealer to have the stock radio exchanged for another refurbished one from toyota (cost $250.00) It is a System 10 and FM/AM sounds great; just the CD and cassette don't work - plays but no sound. It is going to take about six weeks for the completion of the body work and paint job. Both come with a lifetime guarantee. As soon as I have some photos of the work in progress (they post them on their website; how cool is that?), I will upload them.
Nytepsyce
P.S. I have to go with the original color; bright red.

UtahSleeper
08-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Sounds like a nice clean up for the GTS. Why replace the radio with another stock though?

METDeath
08-18-2010, 02:07 AM
Yeah, the replacement with an aftermarket radio is pretty easy, even with System 10... it's actually easier due to less wires to solder/crimp.

NYTEPSYCE
08-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah, the replacement with an aftermarket radio is pretty easy, even with System 10... it's actually easier due to less wires to solder/crimp.
But do you still get the quality sound from the 10 speakers?

ChrisD
08-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Yes, probably better!

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Yes, probably better!

Probably?

Fixed

UtahSleeper
08-19-2010, 03:01 AM
Better sound quality and more features (MP3, iPod, bluetooth, etc). The deck I bought with the listed features cost me less then 200.

Car_Barn_Bandit
08-19-2010, 05:00 AM
You can always make your door midbass, REAL bass by installing shallow subs. Filled out my low end quite nicely.

alltracNyx
08-19-2010, 05:08 AM
The quality of the sound will be better because using an aftermarket radio will just incorporate the factory System 10 amped system into a radio that has a better output and (depending on the quality of the aftermarket radio) will give you much better control on the EQ settings.

And for $250, you'd be able to get a pretty decent headunit with all the bells and whistles.

Galcobar
08-19-2010, 10:19 AM
That said, introducing an after-market head unit into a System 10 setup can lead to wiring headaches -- if you do decide to go for the many improvements available from a modern head unit, I suggest checking the audio forum stickies.

celica91gts
08-19-2010, 10:39 AM
The quality of the sound will be better because using an aftermarket radio will just incorporate the factory System 10 amped system into a radio that has a better output and (depending on the quality of the aftermarket radio) will give you much better control on the EQ settings.

And for $250, you'd be able to get a pretty decent headunit with all the bells and whistles.

250 will get you a really good head unit along with awesome perks such as a built in aux plug and play music from a flash drive via usb outlet. research!

NYTEPSYCE
08-20-2010, 06:32 PM
250 will get you a really good head unit along with awesome perks such as a built in aux plug and play music from a flash drive via usb outlet. research!
I did buy a head unit with a USB and plug in for a iPod, mp3, ext. but I wasn't sure how to install it even with the info in the threads section. Had anyone sucessfully done this?