PDA

View Full Version : 3sfe to 5sfe?

ravensguildassasin
08-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Ok now my question is other then the 5sfe being a 2.2, what is the difference between the two blocks? IE: would a 3sfe head bolt on and would the 3sfe M/T bolt on. other random details will help as well but those would be the primary questions. partly i am asking because i am thinking of building a 2.2 5sgte but i need to know some basic info first that i did not find the answers to while reading this site. as always thank you for your help. :pokeeye:

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

also on a side not what model year was the 5sfe out of?

Grot
08-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Search for 5sfte or for the user pressure2.

These should answer most of your questions.

ravensguildassasin
08-17-2010, 08:40 PM
ok so i went through all of it i could stand and didn't find the answers i needed. but i did find a lot about the turbo stuff.
i still need the basic info answered.

METDeath
08-18-2010, 02:09 AM
The S series blocks/heads line up as far as I know. I've seen gen 1 and gen 2 3S-GE heads on a 5S block.

All the S series motors/transmission combos bolt up, it's mainly an issue for the clutch setup may be different.

ravensguildassasin
08-18-2010, 02:12 AM
The S series blocks/heads line up as far as I know. I've seen gen 1 and gen 2 3S-GE heads on a 5S block.

All the S series motors/transmission combos bolt up, it's mainly an issue for the clutch setup may be different.

got it that help a lot. now i need to find out if i will have to use the 5sfe clutch and such. XD

MrTurrari
08-19-2010, 04:25 AM
As far as I have seen the 3sfe is mechanically the same as the 5sfe except for the inside of the short block within the same revision of motor. They share the same or similar head, cams, intake manifold and everything. Even the clutches and flywheels are the same from looking at part numbers. The injectors are smaller and I'm sure then that the ECUs have different maps. It is common for people to swap in a 3sfe as a cheap direct replacement for the 5sfe. You could probably go the other way too just check AFRs with a wideband to make sure it is not too lean at WOT. Maybe use the 5sfe injectors and a piggyback to tune it if that is the case. The only bolt-up problems I have seen is sometimes motors from different cars will have the accessory brackets and engine mounts in different places so may not have some of the mounting holes drilled and tapped. That can be worked around.

Now putting a 3sgte head on a 5sfe block is a whole other animal. To keep from going down the road of endless custom modification you pretty much need a whole 3sgte minus the block. The electronics go with the head and intake manifold so you need everything from the wiring harness and all the sensors, distributor, ECU and everything. After that you need to build the 5sfe block to handle higher revs and if you want a non-interference motor you need new pistons.