PDA

View Full Version : n00b ahoy

KnightofNi
08-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi there. I figured I would actually say hi in the introductions forum instead of just jumping into the fray.

I have lusted after the 6th gen body style for many years. in particular, the st205. Unfortunately I live in the US so I can't get one without a lot of trouble.
Despite my desire to go as fast as possible in something small and light I wound up buying a 1979 ford LTD in baby blue as my first car because it was cheap, had a posi rear and a 351 in it. Did I mention that it was cheap? My 2nd car was marginally better. I went for a 97 Lincoln Continental. Yes, a lincoln. An old man car. a 275 horse 275ft/lb of torque 500ton old man cruising the hwy car. (i could keep up with my friend in his RSX until we got on the highway and he flored it. the linc stopped at 120mph :sad:)

Then I found motorcycles and a little over 8 years ago i went bike only. I slowly built up 3 bikes in that time. I have a bike for nice days, a bike for touring, and a bike to beat the shit out of in the dirt, rain, snow, and whatever else I want to try to take ti through. There were cars that I would drool over and ones that i jsut find flat out awesome, but I had no desire to own one. In fact I kinda bought into the attitude people assumed I had and shunned owning one a bit. More for financial reasons than anything else. The bike gets 35mpg on a track day where i'm hammering it the whole time, the cars might get 30mpg if i baby it. I do not baby vehicles as was evidenced by the amt of tie rods and bushings I went through on the Linc. lol

Then 3 months and 2 days ago I decided it would really impress the other drivers on the packed hwy if I flipped my bike on top of myself frontwards. it didn't work and I now have a plate in my collarbone to remind me. I couldn't ride for 2 of the last 3 months and still had to get around so I had to buy a car. After looking for a few weeks I had some prospects. To be my car it had to meet 3 criteria. It had to be AWD, It had to be decent on gas, and it had to be fuin to drive. They all fell through when I realized I couldn't actually drive stick because my right arm was useless. I then happened upon a 97 celica convertible with 63K on it. I liked the price, I loved the shape, and I liked the drop top. However, I hate the auto trans...

Now I need to learn more about this car and it's intracasies so I can do my own repairs and so I can do a few mods. I'm thinking wider wheels will be first after a few minor repairs. Then if I can get some help and the money I'm building it up to as close to that 205 as I can.

wow, that was long. sorry, any further posts should be shorter and more concise.

btw, the accident was the result of me checking the guy trying to occupy my lane from my right for too long and someone in front of me slamming on his brakes combined with cold tires and leaving too little room.

Murgatroy
08-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Damn cagers.

Welcome aboard.

There are very few problems with well maintained Celicas.

There are very few problems with poorly maintained Celicas.

KnightofNi
08-13-2010, 09:09 PM
those last 2 lines are one of the reasons I went with the celica over the 2.5rs i also really wanted.

that and the celica was closer and a convertible...

Siyx
08-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the forum. You will find whatever you need here!

alltracNyx
08-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Welcome! Let's see some pics ;)

KnightofNi
08-14-2010, 01:50 AM
how dare i forget pics...ohh yeah, i was at work. :laugh:
I don't really have any good ones since I first got it, but here's the best I have. I might have more on my external drive, but that is all packed up for tomorrow's outing.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff167/kngtofni/frontleft.jpg

and this one is about a month later. stupid freaking rollers on the rear qtr window broke and I had to dismantle half the freaking car to get the window back up as i was 600 miles away in NH.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/giacco/DIMBY2010014.jpg

Nitro_Alltrac
08-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Welcome! The car looks great.

JDM SNUKUMZ
08-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Welcome to teh forum

bloodMoney
08-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Welcome! Very clean car :)