PDA

View Full Version : Smog question :/

willyum000
08-12-2010, 08:24 PM
I live in CA, and I'm sure as you all know the smog regs. are ridiculous (as far as swaps go). Anyways, I have a bud that wants to sell me his 1990 celi gt with a jdm engine swap in it already for $1k.

The car is located in NY, and if I get it shipped down here to CA am I going to be able to smog it? Or will I have to get the EGR installed ect.

Thanks.\

Also sorry if this is the incorrect forum, couldn't decide which one to put it in haha.

4thgenceli
08-12-2010, 08:52 PM
If Cali is anything like Arizona, you'll have to have a visual inspection done (out of state inspection). Here, they check that all lights work and other basic safety things work. They'll also double check VINS to make sure they match (here, they check dash, firewall, and doors). After that it needs to be emission tested.

willyum000
08-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Well in CA it's roughly the same except they go to the extent of testing the EGR valve, make sure it's functioning properly and such. The JDM engines don't have that. It has the catalytic converters though.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-13-2010, 01:22 AM
From what I've heard, unless you know somebody that can slide you through, you're going to have to have the EGR and have it functional.

joe's gt
08-13-2010, 05:06 AM
From what I've heard, unless you know somebody that can slide you through, you're going to have to have the EGR and have it functional.

^^ This

91BlackTRAC
08-13-2010, 07:35 AM
If Cali is anything like Arizona, you'll have to have a visual inspection done (out of state inspection). Here, they check that all lights work and other basic safety things work. They'll also double check VINS to make sure they match (here, they check dash, firewall, and doors). After that it needs to be emission tested.

This is exactly what I went through when I bought my alltrac about five years ago from some guy in New YorK. Although I did not have a jdm engine in it.

willyum000
08-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Question:
Is the 2nd gen ported for it and just has block off plates or would you actually have to drill into the head and such?

Nitro_Alltrac
08-13-2010, 11:38 PM
If it's JDM, there are no provisions for the EGR. It will have to be drilled.

T-spoon
08-15-2010, 12:03 AM
If it's JDM, there are no provisions for the EGR. It will have to be drilled.

This is true.. I did notice, though, that at least on the intake manifold the casting exists for the EGR, it's just not drilled and tapped. It makes me think it's a do-able project as long as you have a way to keep from getting shavings in your motor. TBH though I haven't looked at the head side of things, I just noticed the manifold but it stands to reason the casting exists on the head also (why have to use different castings for US and JDM motors? not a very Toyota-like thing to do).

Also if you did go through all that hassle there'd probably be some re-tuning needed I'm guessing, since it's not expecting to have exhaust gasses recirced.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-15-2010, 12:54 AM
This is true.. I did notice, though, that at least on the intake manifold the casting exists for the EGR, it's just not drilled and tapped. It makes me think it's a do-able project as long as you have a way to keep from getting shavings in your motor. TBH though I haven't looked at the head side of things, I just noticed the manifold but it stands to reason the casting exists on the head also (why have to use different castings for US and JDM motors? not a very Toyota-like thing to do).

Also if you did go through all that hassle there'd probably be some re-tuning needed I'm guessing, since it's not expecting to have exhaust gasses recirced.

I would say that you're correct. From what I've read and heard this seems to be the case. You have to drill everything out to add the EGR system. As standardized as Toyota does most things I would almost guarantee that the bosses are there.