PDA

View Full Version : What if your car was wired up wrong?

RedRkt01
08-12-2010, 03:47 PM
So I had a harness built for me. Other than the fact that the cruise control wasn't wired in and the A/C high pressure switch wasn't addressed (which I'm unsure as to if that a problem), it was wired as if it came from a auto tranny harness. My donor harness was a manual.

My potential problem is at the [C2] connector. It is located a few inches to maybe a foot away from where the whole engine harness goes into the cabin. That connector is really all about power to everything. There are four plugs in it. One of those plugs goes to a neutral start switch in the auto version while another is blank. In the manual version the blank one in the other is present and is wired to a clutch start switch while the opposite is blank. I think I'm talking about plugs 3 and 4. I can't remember off hand. You can check out the connector by looking at page 29 here: http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/89ewd/89ewd.php.

Basically, I need to know how the system will react to it being wired for a neutral start switch as opposed to a clutch start switch. I'm worried the car won't start without being able to talk to the clutch. Thoughts anyone?

Shadowlife25
08-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Kevin, if I am reading this correctly, it should mean that you will in effect have the clutch switch bypassed for your application.

RedRkt01
08-12-2010, 06:53 PM
I also thought that, but erred on the side of caution thinking it wouldn't start. 3SGE is finally done and is getting dropped in tomorrow night. I did a final inspection and found this issue, the biggest, amongst other things.

I guess if I'm parked in N and I turn the key she'll startup, is that right?

Shadowlife25
08-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Shifter position will not matter in a manual.
If it is in fact bypassed and not wired in differently, it should simply mean that you can start the car without depressing the clutch.

RedRkt01
08-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Right. My point about being in neutral was that I don't want to start it in gear if I'm not depresswing the clutch. I'm not sure if the starter is strong enough, but theoretically the car could creep forward (or backward if in reverse). That's all I was thinking. Am I correct in those assumptions?

4thgenceli
08-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Right. My point about being in neutral was that I don't want to start it in gear if I'm not depresswing the clutch. I'm not sure if the starter is strong enough, but theoretically the car could creep forward (or backward if in reverse). That's all I was thinking. Am I correct in those assumptions?
Correct. The car will try to lunge forward a bit (i've done it a few times lol).

Best practice (and how I start any manual car).

Always depress clutch to start.

Either leave parking brake on, or have foot on brake.

alltracNyx
08-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Depending on how strong the starter is, the car can not only lunge forward, but probably get going a good distance if started in gear and the clutch is not depressed.

And if you turn the key and the car won't crank, double check the clutch switch. Maybe it's not bypassed and it needs to be hooked up.

RedRkt01
08-13-2010, 05:57 PM
^It is wired for neutral start (like an automatic). So clutch or not it should start.

Tim, I'll be starting it like I have for 10 years: With both feet to the floor. BTW buddy, tonights the night!!!!!!! 5 years coming.

Grot
08-14-2010, 12:59 AM
Keep us updated. I want to be there with mine.