PDA

View Full Version : Boosting the 3sge

Grot
08-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Been thinking alot about it lately. Just mere pondering more than anything, but how plausible would it be to Supercharge a 1g 3sge?

Thinking about a Centrifugal (sp?) Charger mounted where the Stock AC Compressor is. As i dont see being able to mount a Roots style without hood/intake modification.

Has this been done in the past? Any builds i can read? Any advice you can give?

Grot
08-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Would this need to be intercooled? Piping would be fairly simple if so. I think this would be an interesting idea. just have to be fairly low boost not to blow out my fresh bottom end.

Do you think my AFM would still work?

Nitro_Alltrac
08-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Aaron I don't see where this would be an issue. Companies like Paxton and others sell the centrifical kits for pretty much any car. You might have to build your own kit but it should work. I'm thinking that these kits usual boost at 3-5 pounds so your bottom end, as long as it's bolted together good, should survive. You wouldn't have to run an intercooler but it would help. Anytime you compress air you generate heat. Factory supercharged cars like the Cobra and the ZR1 have factory intercoolers, WTA in these cases.

I'm not sure about your AFM. It would probably work but it would probably be best to talk one of the supercharger companies that build the kits for more guidance.

As far as the engine management goes, I'm not sure on that count. I know that they sell kits for other electronically controlled cars but I'm not sure about the engine management. It would be something to look into. Toyota offered supercharger kits several of the newer engines like the ZZ, AZ and MZ. If you could find out how the engine management worked with these kits it would give you an idea.

METDeath
08-11-2010, 03:24 AM
The only issue I see is the AFM freaking out. If you had a pure MAP car, then it'd be just as simple as boosting a 5S.

Honestly, I'd just swap a 3S-GTE into if you want boost. Or get crazy and do a 5S-GTE build using your G head and intake manifold that you already have.

But first...

Does your GTS run yet?

Grot
08-11-2010, 03:26 AM
looks like im going to have to use a Standalone ECU. I like the idea tho. will need more research tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 02:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

But first...

Does your GTS run yet?

Shut up. :lmfao:

I have nothing else to do but sit and think.

Yes my priority is getting it running first. but i still enjoy learning about things.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-11-2010, 03:37 AM
That was a good question Marshall.

Oh and Aaron, what's this marriage thing I saw on Facebook??

Grot
08-11-2010, 03:51 AM
Yep. Me and Nicole go married today.

Nitro_Alltrac
08-11-2010, 04:21 AM
Well congratz my friend! I wish you guys much joy and happiness!:biggthumpup:

Cavanagh
08-11-2010, 07:51 AM
1st, congrats man! And 2nd off, i think a Turbo would be MUCH more efficient for the money you put out on a supercharger. Also, it has more potential for more upgrading down the road.